Is Bandai killing off Tamagotchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is Bandai killing off Tamagotchi?Just think about it, it's been 2 months already and they barely cared about the 20th anniversary, they just released a new version of the M!X, a vintage themed gashapon line and they're going to rerelease the Chibi in April, a version made 12 years ago, if they really wanted to rerelease a product with outdated technology, why not the original Tama?That's what they're doing with Digimon's 20th, and the rerelease of the first Digimon will also include new content I know.

I wanted to see stuff like figures, clothing for adults, gashapon, plushies of old school characters and Connection characters and maybe the anime on DVD, the anime is only available on rental DVDs, they just made some character themed DVDs and nothing more.

Why is Bandai barely caring of their most important franchise' anniversary?I mean, Digimon got way more stuff for its anime's 15th anniversary and is getting more for the virtual pet's 20th as well, I mean, Digimon was so unrelevant around the Tama Connection era, they stopped making anime and only made a bunch of PSP videogames meant for a specific target, the old school fans.Tamagotchi made way more money in the Connection AND iD era, plus, the first Tamas saved Bandai from bankrupt, and what are they doing instead?Closing the last Tama Depa and releasing an old product.I was so excited when I knew about a new Tamagotchi movie, which honestly was a great idea to celebrate the anniversary, and then I knew it was just a short for the Cocotama movie.

Yeah, Cocotama, something so nice that reminds me of the old anime I grew up with but Bandai made me hate it, how can they care more about a 1 year old franchise?I know it sells well and the anime is nice but why would they ignore Tamagotchi for Cocotama?Each product belongs to its times, like Sanrio anime shows, first there was My Melody, then Jewelpet, now Fairilu.Before there was Sailor Moon and little girls from the 90's grew up with that, now little girls are growing up with Precure, I get it, each generation has its stuff, but Tamagotchi lasted for so many years and it's been part of many kids' childhood, kids from the 90's, 2000's and 2010's, it's a multigenerational product that sold well for years, kinda like Doraemon, Anpanman and Maruko-Chan (even if it's not as old), anime which came out around the same time as Doraemon and Anpanman but didn't last so much may be unknown for modern generations, but Doraemon, Anpanman and Maruko are and lasted for years, it's the same thing for Tamagotchi, while other products made around the same time may be unknown to new generations, Tamagotchi has been relevant for many years, but Bandai really wants to kill it off on its 20th anniversary and prefer something new...it seems like Bandai really wants to ignore the stuff I like, I mean, they preferred to celebrate Digimon instead of Ojamajo Doremi which barely got anything for its 15th anniversary, kinda pisses me off since Ojamajo Doremi is much better than that overrated Sailor Moon.

What Bandai should do to make the Tamagotchi popular again is to make a new revolutionary Tamagotchi, the Plus Color was a big thing back in 2008, why don't they make something REALLY new?Have you seen stuff like the Jewelpet Jewel Watch by Sega Toys?The Fairilu Camera by Takara Tomy?Or even the Precure Linkle Smartbook by Bandai itself?Don't you see they have a much better technology than stuff like the 4U and M!X?Better animations, more detailed graphic, more features and touch screen, Bandai should seriously make a Tamagotchi with touch screen and new features to make the product popular again.This is how I would make it.

Size about the Kakeibo, but thicker, thick like the Linkle Smartbook, I'd also include the fake antenna like the Kakeibo which contains a stylus inside, screen about the same size of the Linkle Smartbook, the graphic can even be less detailed than the Linkle Smartbook, but should be an improvement over the overused iD L graphic and sprites.I'd include some voiced parts like the Linkle Smartbook, like the character saying "good morning", "hello" and "tasty".The Tama can be turned off when you don't play it, because something like that can't be on for 24 hours, but it can still make the alarm call when it's off and it'd include a led which brights up when the Tamagotchi needs something, which already happened before for the Game Boy version of Tamagotchi Osutchi Mesutchi, and another led with a toilet icon which will inform you if your Tamagotchi pooped.It could also include more complex minigames and a cooking function, where you can cook for your Tama with your stylus kinda like Cooking Mama with the items you can get with the gardening feature.

I'd also include a successor to the pierces.I honestly think if Bandai would make a new revolutionary Tamagotchi with new interesting features with less outdated technology it could make the toy popular again, but apparently they prefer the outdated iD L technology.

In the case of Bandai America, the most recent of the releases have been steps backward from the oldest color tama from Japan. Most kids have Smartphones now, and tamas do not have the appeal they once had. Just about anything has an app now, and kids can get that, instead of an extra device. This is not a bash on Bandai America, however, just to make it clear. I myself, will not buy a TF Dream Town or anything produced by BA, just for the simple fact that the color tamas are here, and are much more fun in my opinion, even though I don't speak/ read Japanese. So yeah, I believe BA is killing the franchise in the USA, and they're not doing too well in Asia either, from what I found out.

I think it's to do with the changing modern technology.

Tamagotchi was the craze in the 90's and early 2000's (although I am sure all of us here can agree that no matter what our age is, we still make Tamagotchi seem quite alive) but as mentioned, we have devices to keep ourselves occupied. Kids now probably wouldn't even have the patience to care for a Tamagotchi either.

The last English Tamagotchi I got was the Tama-Go, and I feel like the Dream Town/Friends/whatever it's called would be quite boring compared to the colour Tamas. I definitely enjoy the old school black and white Tamas as much as the colours, but it's probably because I've grew up with them and not the newest ones.

Maybe if they did something cool, like higher resolution screens with bluetooth? The current color screens are 1.5 inches/128*128 pixels, you could make the screen slightly larger and easily double the resolution. It would mean they would have to make proprietary hardware, but just imagine how cool the animations could look. The last time i checked, bluetooth is pretty cheap, and it's pretty much standard on all smartphones.

It really is a shame, since the M!X really is a wonderful toy. Is Digimon failing too? I can't imagine it's doing better than Tamagotchi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sakujima - I think you're worrying for no reason. Bandai Japan isn't trying to ditch Tamagotchi.

-In response to the "lack of releases" logic aside from re-releasing the Chibitama. *Points at the Tamagotchi m!x Sanrio Version releasing on April 15* Need I say more?

-In response to TamaDepa closing. Other such things are also happening to Bandai's other franchises, believe it or not. Toei Super Hero World, which is a cafe and museum based on Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, also closed down recently. And who holds the toy rights to those franchises? Yup, Bandai. Basically, the closing of TamaDepa and Toei Super Hero World, along with the fact that the big animatronic Gundam statue (And hey, another franchise that Bandai owns the toy rights to) is being taken down this year... that's not Bandai trying to ditch anything. That's the general economic condition, and you can't blame Bandai for that.

Now on the other hand, if we were talking about Bandai America... then yeah. Complaints at Bandai America's treatment of Tamagotchi (Or lack thereof since the Friends Dream Town Edition) at this point are absolutely warranted.

Igel - Digimon's actually doing quite well over in Japan. Along with the Digital Monster Version 20th in June, they actually have not one, but TWO anime running at once for the very first time. Digimon Adventure Tri getting a theatrical episode once every few months or so (Episode 4 just started its run today), and Digimon Universe Appli Monsters as the weekly TV series. And the awesome thing is, even though Appli Monsters features Appmon rather than actual Digimon... the fans indeed love it.

Maybe if they did something cool, like higher resolution screens with bluetooth? The current color screens are 1.5 inches/128*128 pixels, you could make the screen slightly larger and easily double the resolution. It would mean they would have to make proprietary hardware, but just imagine how cool the animations could look. The last time i checked, bluetooth is pretty cheap, and it's pretty much standard on all smartphones.

It really is a shame, since the M!X really is a wonderful toy. Is Digimon failing too? I can't imagine it's doing better than Tamagotchi.
That sounds pretty cool...

I can agree with the bashing on the Friends. But IMO the dream town version is way cooler! If you have one, you'll have to admit that BA really did try on this one. They just aren't making enough profit to afford a color screen. And it's just not on their agenda, they have lots more popular things and tamagotchi is more of a thing of the past, tough as it is to admit that.

With how they treat it in america I understand not wanting to put money into a product you're unsure of but like everyone carries phones now... it'd be awesome if they could apply the tama color features (maybe more!) to a phone app. The Nostalgic one is nice but our phones are way powerful and could handle something more. Then they could market tama themed cellphone accessories online without having to lean on toy stores while they test the waters.

This is so sad because it's (most likely) true :(
Yeah, my older sister keeps asking me why I "waste" my money on tamagotchis. I don't really think it's wasting though. And I am a kid, but I guess most kids aren't really into tamagotchis, I'm even to embarrassed to show my tamagotchis to my friends at school.

Sakujima - I think you're worrying for no reason. Bandai Japan isn't trying to ditch Tamagotchi.

-In response to the "lack of releases" logic aside from re-releasing the Chibitama. *Points at the Tamagotchi m!x Sanrio Version releasing on April 15* Need I say more?

-In response to TamaDepa closing. Other such things are also happening to Bandai's other franchises, believe it or not. Toei Super Hero World, which is a cafe and museum based on Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, also closed down recently. And who holds the toy rights to those franchises? Yup, Bandai. Basically, the closing of TamaDepa and Toei Super Hero World, along with the fact that the big animatronic Gundam statue (And hey, another franchise that Bandai owns the toy rights to) is being taken down this year... that's not Bandai trying to ditch anything. That's the general economic condition, and you can't blame Bandai for that.

Now on the other hand, if we were talking about Bandai America... then yeah. Complaints at Bandai America's treatment of Tamagotchi (Or lack thereof since the Friends Dream Town Edition) at this point are absolutely warranted.

Igel - Digimon's actually doing quite well over in Japan. Along with the Digital Monster Version 20th in June, they actually have not one, but TWO anime running at once for the very first time. Digimon Adventure Tri getting a theatrical episode once every few months or so (Episode 4 just started its run today), and Digimon Universe Appli Monsters as the weekly TV series. And the awesome thing is, even though Appli Monsters features Appmon rather than actual Digimon... the fans indeed love it.
I completely agree about Bandai America. There are so many people wanting English patches and English models of Tamagotchis sell for a high price...clearly there is interest but where is the effort in reaching the English audience? 90's nostalgia is a trend right now, as those kids are in late 20's and early 30's and feeling hella nostalgic!

There is even a trend in music that imitates 80's and 90's sounds. It's a big thing right now. I don't get why they don't try harder to cash in on that.

No. bandai doesn't kill off tamagotchi. (Also, I hate anpanman)

I think that Tamagotchi Friends were a missing opportunity to revamp the craze. A mix with old and new technology could attract a new audience if well used. Look at Furby 2012! It was a success because the new app feature.

I feel like if they made stuff like all the rare Tamas as an app, it wouldn't be too hard and they could make a profit. Like a tamagotchi ocean app, tamagotchi mothra, tamagotchi santa, and the list could go on. Honestly yeah kids may have the internet but the only mobile friendly virtual pet games are terribly made chinese knockoffs that require real money for junk, are usually poorly drawn cats or dogs that don't move or are straight up stealing the baby blob tamas. I don't think anything currently on the mobile market can fill the virtual pet void that tamagotchis can fill

I'd like to see some newer Tamas get some love in the US, but at the same time, finding the mini 20th anniversary tamagotchis on a counter at Gamestop is why I'm here and back in the fandom, even to the point where I had a friend in Japan pick me up a M!x and put batteries in my long-dormant original P2.
On top of that, I've had a few coworkers grab the 20th anniversary tamas because I got one and they thought it was neat, and they've reported to me that a lot of places (Target, Gamestop) have sold out around the holiday season. Maybe there hasn't been as much love of late, but maybe we're about to see more in 2018 since it looks like the minis did well?
As for TamaDepa closing, I feel like that's most brick and mortar stores. I imagine something so specialized--even if popular--would have trouble staying open. I mean, even Toys R Us is going bankrupt.

I'd like to see some newer Tamas get some love in the US, but at the same time, finding the mini 20th anniversary tamagotchis on a counter at Gamestop is why I'm here and back in the fandom, even to the point where I had a friend in Japan pick me up a M!x and put batteries in my long-dormant original P2.

On top of that, I've had a few coworkers grab the 20th anniversary tamas because I got one and they thought it was neat, and they've reported to me that a lot of places (Target, Gamestop) have sold out around the holiday season. Maybe there hasn't been as much love of late, but maybe we're about to see more in 2018 since it looks like the minis did well?

As for TamaDepa closing, I feel like that's most brick and mortar stores. I imagine something so specialized--even if popular--would have trouble staying open. I mean, even Toys R Us is going bankrupt.
I think one of the few things Bandai America (and other western divisions, by extension) has done well lately with regards to Tamagotchi is selling the nostalgia factor. As far as I'm aware, the Tamagotchi Classic app has been doing fairly well, and the Tamagotchi Mini is currently quite successful. However, they should really do something to take the next step and help get these people who are returning/newly into the hobby more invested. While the P1/P2 experience is great, Tamagotchi has so much more to offer. Bandai seems afraid to invest in the western markets with the perception that people here don't want to pay that much for a toy, but the aftermarket of people paying hundreds of dollars or more for an English patched P's shows that there's global interest. I bet if more of the people who are buying minis or using the app knew about the Japanese versions, they would want that product to be available in their region and language, even if they had to order it online.

Well, case in point, that's what happened to me. I found out about the mini, and in the process of looking up a growth chart ended up a month and a half later with a growing connection. Seems like a lot of recent arrivals here are in that boat.

That said, I think a lot of people WOULD be hesitant to drop M!x-level prices on tamas. We're enthusiasts, right? It speaks to us. In the same vein, I'm also a Transformer collector, and some of the more high-end stuff there can get up to $250 (over twice that if you're talking 3rd party figures). Now, higher price points can sell, sure, but it's to a much smaller and smaller audience. It's the same thing here, and honestly, most high-end "Masterpiece" Transformers DON'T make it over to the states because even though they would sell, it would only be to a small number of collectors who, 1) are interested, and 2) can actually afford it (heck, I even passed up on some recent releases because of my new tamaddiction).

This is why the mini is a great in-road, and why Bandai would need to pursue 'simpler' designs for the American tama market. It may also be the most telling to see how the new app/game does. After all, if a lot of mini sales were parents buying for kids, then convincing parents to drop $60+ on ANY toy is generally seen as a tough sell and probably not worth it to reestablish the brand in the US.

On the other hand, while I know a fair amount about the US Transformin' Robot market, I know very little about the vpets market and can't compare it to other vpet-like things out right now, so I prolly speak from a throne of ignorance. XD

I do think up to a certain price point they would have trouble selling in western markets, especially if they were just marketed to children. However, the Japanese retail price of color screen tamas is currently pretty reasonable, and there are a ton of dedicated adult collectors with more disposable income as well. If an English version couldn't strictly be made available in other countries' stores, they could at least create one with an official English patch and some means to make it easily obtainable. Then the tama could still be imported from Japan to anywhere in the world. Shipping, customs fees, etc would still be an issue, but it does solve the language problem.

I would also say that most toy collecting hobbies probably have similar trends in general, but tama's uniqueness is that the more complicated the features are, the more language becomes a barrier. The only analogous thing I can currently think of is stuff like model assembly instructions.

The actual price of color tamagotchis isn't all that bad. Remember that the prices we are paying are NOT retail prices, but inflated prices.They're a bit over 30$, while toys like hatchimals are like 50$.

Those are all good points. I guess I wonder if it just comes down total population of tamagotchi collectors in the US and outside of Japan. It's hard to compare to other things considering Tamagotchi's current low presence in the US (and really, nonexistent for the last couple years before the mini, it seems) on store shelves. I guess one of the ways you could dig further into it is looking at unique visitors here and on places like the Tamagotchi wiki, or in facebook groups.

I'd say it's logical to assume that there's also not really an effort to snare fans in the US right now, and maybe that's half the problem, but the support of the mini shows--as you're saying--that fans exist. Still, to make it sustainable, how many of the people who bought the mini are fans and how many were just bit by the nostalgia bug that's hyper-common with our generation? $14-18 dollars is a pretty easy price point to swallow. I probably would spring for a $40-50 tama in a US store (even before I jumped back into collecting), but I can't say a lot of people would. That said, you're right, a lot of more technical, popular toys are also around that price point, BUT, Hatchimals are popular with a lot of younger kids (I hear my niece ask for them all the time) while in the current retail climate, those same kids have lived sad, tama-deprived lives.

By the same token, Bandai is starting to put more of their model kits in places like Barnes and noble and releasing a lot of their small figure lines in Toys R Us (though Toys R Us is on the verge of failing as well). This is a double-edged sword, because in the eyes of Bandai, THAT'S what people want over here. On the other hand, success in those fields might embolden them. The tough sell there is would the same japanophiles who buy Gundam Converge, Gunpla, and Figurarts stuff also be iterested in Tamas, especially considering none of the former need translation? (It's worth noting that most gunpla does have english in the instructions now, but it's unnecessary 99% of the time because of the pictures) Maybe, maybe not. I would, but then, I'm not the normal demographic representation for a 33-year-old male.

...Sorry, getting rambly. Long day. I hope Bandai is emboldened by the mini, but I think it'd behoove them to launch both the 20th anniversary P1/P2s as well as something with less complexity than a M!x and more graphical power than a Connection or something along those lines. Again, my experiences are different, because I've never really gotten my hands on P's or ID's or 4U's or anything in between those two points. Maybe there's something there that would already scratch that itch, and maybe translating an old tama that the US has never experienced would do just that.

MAN THIS IS A FUN CONVERSATION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back