Cultural differences in Japan VS UK/AU/US/NZ

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Last year my boyfriend and I were frustrated by the lack of certain videogames in Australia that were released in Japan only.

We wondered what caused it. Was it:
-due to lack of fanbase?
-companies underestimating the Australian public?
-cultural differences?

"Dumbing down" of characters and dialog that seems to happen. We came to the sad conclusion that as much as the fanboys/fangirls want to intriguing content - we just aren't as "mature" (in general or lack of better word) as a culture for some of the more artistic/weirder/complex games to do well over here.

The last straw was realizing one of my favourite characters from Fire Emblem Awakening with a sad and complex past was "dumbed down" in the Western release. His story was so much more epic and beautiful in the Japanese version. I personally preferred it.

Similarly Tamagotchi is still somewhat a fad over in Japan, and the P's sold well with women in their 20's. (or so I'm told) and there just seems to be more emphasis on nostalgia, cute things, and nurturing. That isn't "cool" over in the West.

This upsets me, especially seeing most (again generalization) of the backgrounds of people living in Australia for example can trace their family to somewhere in Europe or Britain (I won't get into whether these are separate entities or not...too political)....a continent that created countless epic pieces of art, literature, culture and music. Europe is in a way the epitome of arts and culture. It has amazing history and elegance.

So.....how did it end up like this?

That's my very complicated shower thoughts. Perhaps this kind of thinking may explain my constant sense of loneliness I feel as an Australian and feeling of connection I get from people... and then I discover they are Dutch or something like that!

I don't mean to sound like I'm not Patriotic (I am very!) or appreciate my own country and culture (there is so much to love & appreciate!) but these particular lack of understanding certain sentimental concepts are a bit frustrating for me.

Now I thank you for making this post, but feel that the subject is not really clear. It seems to me you are trying to find an answer (or discuss) why Tamagotchis, Japanese video games, and other unique but worthwhile things do not come over to other countries, specifically the United Kingdom, Australia, the United States, and New Zealand. Now I'm from Canada - a country I'm sure you would have added also - and I could comment on the mentality of my people, but I feel that the issue is more of all those primarily English speaking countries as a whole compared to Japan. To boil it down even further, one language against another.

Language is a firm dividing line because without it people cannot interact fully, if not meaningfully. Language is used to narrow things down to specifics and thus while some things can be understood because we are all the same human race, the complexities - which give the most value - remain incomprehensible. Also, in a way language gives power because it tells specifics and while that can be insubstantial due to the possibility of deception, it still aids in signalling whether people should be trusted or not. This is likely why it can be so terrifying and numbing to be in a foreign environment. Thus the very fact that something is in another language is a primary hindrance to it going beyond because its complexities are unreachable and it overwhelms those foreign to it.

Now the obvious contradiction to what I have said is the ability to translate. But translation can never substitute the actual language fully. Firstly, there are things that remain untranslatable: puns and literal word meaning. Sure, this can be solved with translation notes but that is if the translator actually realizes that the minor details are relevant, which leads to my second point: there is more than one way to translate. First there is the literal meaning of the words and then there is the understanding of the the phrase. Most greetings such as "hello" or "goodbye" have various literal meanings throughout languages, but their meaning can be reduced to "we say this at this time", thus they are cultural. In order to be able to translate certain phrases properly, the translator must be knowledgeable about that cultural which can be difficult if they are foreign, and impossible if there is no equivalent - such as "itadakimasu", which is said before meals by Japanese people.

Research can be done to improve accuracy, but then there is also the question of whether certain possible implications should be put into the final translation, and thus it comes down to the translator's discretion. Once there is the element of discretion, this also leads to the the introduction of opinion and that can lead to a disconnect between what the author meant and what the translator understood - best example is fan-translated manga, which often ends up having more or stronger profanity in it than the official translation (not just because the official translation is more concerned about its audience than accuracy). Thus, translation can get the gist of what the original work means but only that much is ensured. Additionally, there is also the flow of the language and, if it has voice acting, the sincerity of the actors voices which are difficult to duplicate.

So, taking this all together, the difficulty a foreign language is a big reason why other countries would be reluctant to pursue localizing a product. Also, some things flourish only in certain places because there is a need for it, hence Tamagotchis still exist in Japan while everywhere else it is but a memory. Additionally, to do anything costs effort that might be better spent somewhere else, so it makes more sense to adapt ideas and create something new rather than renew something old. How fascinating it would be if people were able to pursue what interested them rather than be slaves to money, but they need to live, and to live they need to sell.

The subject is complex & multi-layered. Your summary is a good representation of what I am saying, so you have gotten it right. :) I'm also glad you like my post. Thank you for thanking me.

I didn't mention Canada because I didn't want to speak about a country I don't know much about as far as the topic at hand. I have friends & penpals from the other places (nearly everyone I come across on an English-speaking website is American just sheerly due to the largest population of that group of countries - you are more likely to come across Americans than Canadians/anyone else.) so I know they are going through a similar thing as they have told me personally.

So as a Canadian, can you tell me about your personal experiences with Japanese imports and whether your country has changes made or been left out of certain products?
Do you wish certain things were more popular in your country?

I think your points about language do factor in to an extent (I've always found it beautiful that there are things that can't be translated..it's as though you would expand your mind & thinking process by learning another language & the concepts within)- but most of the changes made in videogames that I noticed had little to do with translation, and more to do with sensibilities & storylines.

For example in Animal Crossing they changed the gender of one character because American audiences or the people who control the ratings system have a bigger issue with what they consider a "camp" or possibly male homosexual character. The dialogue (language/translation) remained the same...but the gender of the character was changed because the American censors felt that the personality was more "appropriate" as a female character.

Just things like that irritate me a fair bit. I don't feel like the West should be behind Japan in acceptance of perceived "effeminate" characters, characters with a troubled past...or even Tamagotchis were the whole aim of the game is to nurture & raise a cute & bizarre space creature.

To me it seems like there is some closed-mindedness going on...but perhaps with whoever is stopping these things or insisting on these changes. This might not speak to the whole population ...but more to the censors themselves - there may only be a small board of people creating these ratings....therefore representing an entire country with their choices.

So then the questions regarding videogames are:
Is it the censors? or the culture of the population that prevents things from being exported to the West or succeeding over here?

Because as far as Tamagotchis go...there is nothing to censor..and very little language to translate. So it must be a cultural difference that prevents them from booming over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, so I did get the gist of it! Good to know.

Thanks for the explanation of why you didn't mention Canada, and I also agree it was reasonable you didn't mention it (as an aside, I've stumbled across a few of you Aussies in my browsings, and also some Austrailian websites without realizing it). Unfortunately, I can't tell you comprehensively about differences in Japanese imports in Canada, as it has been awhile since I've even visited a store (nothing I need to buy). I do know that usually Canada gets the same release of a localization as the U.S., but one difference is that the packaging would have French on it, simply to maintain political ties with Quebec (the reason Canada is bilingual in the first place). I think some productions skip making two different versions and simply sell bilingual packaging, which incidentally the packaging of my Tamagotchi Dream Town shows (also had German and a few other languages on there, so it seems more of a mass release).

Now although the packaging in Canada must have French on it, the product doesn't have to also have bilingual dialogue. I remember walking into a toy store (Toys"R"Us, to be specific) and seeing they were selling two separate versions of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver that was either in English or French. Also, a game I got a while back called Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero (another Japanese import) did have an option of being bilingual but the voice acting still stayed in English and there were French subtitles. Elebits is the only game I have that I remember seeing a bilingual feature. It seems to be a completely different ballpark in Quebec though, as I remember reading about some sort of singing animal toy being slammed because it didn't sing in French.

Do I wish certain things were more popular in my country? Not really since I am used to buying through international markets but if it was having an English language release of something, I could care less where it originated. However, nothing beats the ease of walking into a store and buying something, especially since I don't have to pay shipping charges and try to bide my time waiting for it. Having a release in one's country does lead to more people knowing about it and thus more face-to-face discussion of it, but it seems online interactions are more likely to be profitable than the off-chance someone has heard about it in real life (excluding discussions in one's circle of friends).

I think your points about language do factor in to an extent (I've always found it beautiful that there are things that can't be translated..it's as though you would expand your mind & thinking process by learning another language & the concepts within)- but most of the changes made in videogames that I noticed had little to do with translation, and more to do with sensibilities & storylines.
True, but dealing with the language probably comes first before the company even decides to edit the story. If the reason anything is brought overseas is primarily because the company thinks it will sell, then it does make sense to bring only the most popular things over irregardless of the items quality. Actually, taking this even further, it makes more sense that was is popular will cross cultures more because all people appreciate a good story/experience. Seeing as the rest of your post is heading more towards why certain foreign works aren't brought over, I too would like to know the process of how a company decides something is feasible. I speculate that it might be similar to how video games are created, a process I happened to learn about after briefly reading a book my mother found for me on game design. From what I recollect, first the game designer would create what is called a "high concept", which is basically the games main idea reduced to a brief few sentences. The high concept both summarizes the game idea and keeps the creator motivated while they make it. This high concept is then sent to someone higher up who looks at it and then decides either it is feasible and sends it to someone even higher up in production, or rejects it. I think then the creator is asked for more details and then production begins. My hypothesis is that the process is likely similar for localization with the same critical analysis but possibly the subjects popularity is also used as a point for its merit.

I don't feel like the West should be behind Japan in acceptance of perceived "effeminate" characters ...
Now assuming that this character you are referring to is similar to Tingle (Legend of Zelda), Fire Emblem (Tiger & Bunny), or Yumoto (Cute High Earth Defense Club Love), is it really "acceptance" to include a flamboyant, stereotyped homosexual character? All three of those characters have various levels of flamboyance, but they are included to be laughed at. Their homosexuality or potentially homoerotic lines are meant to make other characters awkward or shocked, and in turn cause the viewer to laugh. They are just another type of gag character.

This might not speak to the whole population ...but more to the censors themselves - there may only be a small board of people creating these ratings....therefore representing an entire country with their choices.
Depends on the reason for why it was removed otherwise a different interpretation is just a misunderstanding. Some things are chosen to be marketed towards a younger audience and because moral standards will vary between cultures, some things have to be omitted or toned down to qualify for a lower rating. Now it might reveal something about a country by what they restrict in video games, but it is much more subtle and complex than what a country shows by writers or speakers they choose to silence. Also, something as subtle as omitted content in a video game might just pass by unnoticed due to lack of an audience, thus not really influential in a country's presentation.

So it must be a cultural difference that prevents them from booming over here.
Yes, it might be primarily cultural why Tamagotchis are still popular in Japan. I remember awhile back reading about cat cafes (places where you pay to spend time playing with cats) and one article came up about how a group in Japan was fighting against some law or by-law restricting how long animals could be working, I think ending work at 8 p.m. . The idea behind the law was preventing animals in pet stores being kept out too long, thus preventing animal abuse. But in the case of cat cafes, their customers came later after work to see the cats and kept coming because most apartments did not allow animals. Cat cafes then became a way of having a pet without keeping it, which made me wonder if still in Japan it is the same case and thus Tamagotchis are the closet to a real pet.

It's nice to have someone reply to me so thoroughly! :) The last part was the most interesting (about what appeals to the Japanese about Tamagotchis), it's part of why I love them so much.
I have 2 cats in an apartment - but yearn for a garden, plants, fresh air & big dogs. I also miss having family around. I suppose most Australians have big homes with backyards..and it's only really the younger generations after the Baby Boomers who struggle to afford homes now demand and population has skyrocketed. (that's a whole different can of worms) So I might be an abnormality, sort of floating about in my apartment filling it with cats, books and virtual creatures while others are out in the sun barbecuing or whatever people in the sun do. (I wouldn't know, I'm not in "the loop")

I feel like the Tamagotchi thing makes sense in my mind now. I would like to know more people in person I could "Tamagotchi" with. I'm not sure how that would go down at the local pub that I don't attend. "hey...you wanna Tamagotchi...?" :p

As for the videogames, it looks like the subject is very broad and complex. You could even make a Ted Talk on this whole thing! (I'd love to watch that!) I don't think we are going to truly know the answer here, but I'd be happy to get creative and keep speculating.

Do you know Japanese at all? How many languages do you speak?

Hi, I couldn't help but notice that the title of the topic is somewhat misleading as the conversation delves more into the topic of localization rather than discussing the Tamagotchi franchise's popularity so I modified the title to make it more appropriate and moved it into its appropriate category.

Feel free to continue the conversation over here and please make sure to stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back