Help with Tamagotchi screws?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isbnrk

Reaction score
hi, i just bought an old, original tamagotchi from a yard sale. on the back it says 1997, and its green with yellow and black. it has the back a bit lifted, so i can see it has no batteries, and that there are two spaces for batteries, but i cant open it to apply new ones, since the screws on the back are destroyed, and they look like someone tried to open it but failed. the left screw looks on the outside like someone tried to remove it with heat. its my first tamagotchi, and i really dont know how to remove the lid or what kind of batteries it needs. thanks in advance! ^^

The vintage Tamagotchis (all models before the connection series) use LR44 batteries, which you probably find easily in most stores (I got mine from the Dollar Store). I've read the most people take their vintage Tamagotchis to a jewelry story to have the broken screws drilled out. Once those screws have been drilled out there is probably little need in actually getting the right screwdriver, so I feel you should probably just replace the screws. I'm not sure what kind of screws vintage Tamagotchis take aside from they match up with a JIS #0 (or a small Phillips from an eyeglass kit). Someone recommended going to a watch shop which sounds reasonable as watches have very small screws.

This topic index may be of use to you for other questions about vintage Tamagotchis.

thanks. im going to try going to a jewelry store, but the melted plastic still concerns me. hopefully they can do something about it.

Vintage tamas like yours use JIS screws (not exactly the same as Phillips).
They can be bought at craft and hobby shops or ordered through an online shop (just google search "JIS screwdrivers").
I don't know what the cost difference would be between taking it to a jeweller to mend and buying a special screwdriver and screws yourself.

the type of screw the Tamagotchis of the older generations need are 1.5x5mm screw, it's like an eyeglass screw but not quite.

Most eyeglass screws are too short in length to fit the back plate of the tama down all the way. Ebay has the most of your money for sale and has a return policy if you're not satisfied. I had to recently get a pack of screws for a set of four gotchis I bought from a guy and none of them have good screws in the back plates, but the plates themselves are still good.

This is my experience anyway >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back