Is the Shuku 20 Shunen Tamagotchi worthwhile?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin-keeper

Reaction score
On November 23rd 2017, Bandai released a final 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi line-up in Japan - the Shuku 20 Shunen Tamagotchi (roughly, "Congratulations! 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi" or "Celebrate! 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi"). It was the final send-off for the 20th anniversary of the Tamagotchi, and also marked the beginning of the line's 21st year.

These units are supposedly exact replicas of the P1 and P2, but powered by a CR2032 instead of two LR44s. They're even packaged in replicas of the original Japanese packaging, differentiated only by the copyright date being 2017 instead of 1996.

However, I don't know how "exact" of a replica this line really is. I've searched TamaTalk, but I couldn't seem to find any mention of them.

Does anyone here have any of them, and, if so, what's the verdict on them? Are there any gameplay/raising differences, at all? Or do they play out exactly the same as on the original P1 and P2?

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone has to share! :lol:

Reactions: Iza
I wanted to ask the same, glad you made this thread :D
I'm glad that it's not just me who's curious!

I'm wondering about it because I never owned a P2 back in the day (though I knew others who did), and if these apparent re-issues play out identically, then I'd like to buy a brand new one to show support for the simpler varieties of virtual pets.

Reactions: Iza
Hi. I've talked about them a lot in my log, so you could check that out if you're interested. The link is in my sig. The past couple of posts have discussed them. I went over the differences between them and the originals. Hope this helps :)

My coworker grabbed 2 when he picked up my M!x in Japan. Sounds like the software is identical to the P1's, but I'll ask him if I can see it tomorrow.
Thanks! Though it looks like psychotama's got us covered, here! :D

Hi. I've talked about them a lot in my log, so you could check that out if you're interested. The link is in my sig. The past couple of posts have discussed them. I went over the differences between them and the originals. Hope this helps :)
Thanks so much - that's exactly the information that I was looking for. I expected some differences, and those aren't game-breakers for me - I actually like the sound of the added randomness and the differently-timed and not-so-scheduled behaviour that sets them apart from the originals. It sounds like it's a different experience as a result, giving more purpose to the lesser-used options on the originals, and with a real penalty for overdoing the snacks, too.

For anyone who might need it, this is the specific post by psychotama that I'm referring to.

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these - thanks again! :D

As far as I'm aware I think the most different thing about them is that they are P1 and P2's with switches shells and using different battery. I kind of wish they made more changes in them, like they did for the Digimon.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I'm aware I think the most different thing about them is that they are P1 and P2's with switches shells and using different battery. I kind of wish they made more changes in them, like they did for the Digimon.
According to psychotama's log, it seems that there are several changes to how they play out. They sound like pretty sensible differences - sort of like a modern "director's cut" twist on the original formula, without adding anything unnecessary.

I think it sounds even better than the original!

Sorry to revive an old topic but I wasn't able to find an answer anywhere else. I just wondered if the 20th anniversary P1 re-release comes with mute or pause functionality like the mini? Thanks for any help!

I don't have one but so far all tamagotchi to date have come with a mute feature. As for a pause, probably not, Japanese tamagotchis don't have a pause function. But you probably can just do the clock pause trick.

As Jhud says, the mute function is present on the Shuku 20 Shunen line, the same as it's ever been, and it works the same as on any other Tamagotchi.

There is no pause function, though - you have to drop the clock into Set mode in order to do that, the same as on the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back