Help with threaded screws

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porg

Reaction score
Hi there everyone! I'm back again, in the right thread with the right title this time!

I’m just looking for a couple of pointers in regards to a couple of Tamagotchis who have the dreaded… screw threading! Upon getting my old collection out, I have noticed that my P2 and Angel sadly have threaded screws! D: :( So, I went scouring the Internet for some way to try and save them- especially as I adore my Angel and have very fond memories.

After looking on a site that seems to be highly recommended, I have found this- which looks amazing to say in the least:

https://japanyouwant.com/product/new-replacement-screw-vessel-screwdriver-friction-drops-set-for-old-models

That looks like it would definitely help me, but I am just wondering if anyone has actually used the screwdriver/screws/friction drops before and if so, did they work? I am also wondering if they would be ok to use with my Angel and P2 (I am guessing so, as it states for older models- but I tend to be a bit paranoid and in need of reassurance when it comes to this kind of thing :lol: ).

I am also questioning if I could use the screw replacements (as I see that they also sell the screws separately) and screwdriver for other non-Bandai, older Tamagotchis? I have a very varied collection and would love to get some of them going again. On a slight side note, is this screwdriver practical for newer Tamagotchi models? Such as the Connection V3, 20th Anniversary, etc? Or will I need another one to use on them? Oh! And in regards to corrosion, is white vinegar really the safest thing to use? I am terrified of breaking them, but have a couple that could do with a clean.

Sorry if this all seems very amateur, its been forever since I have played with my little critters and I am just a little bit excited over the possibility of getting to play with my favourite pets again! :wub:

Oh! One more thing! Can anyone point me towards storage suggestions for both ones not in use and for when I am out and about with my little critters? :D I would love to keep them safe and take as best care of them as I can.

I’ve included a photo of my P1 And P2 Tamagotchis backs/screws below.

kYpt1f1.jpg
pjcAMnI.jpg

UvzwaMO.jpg
mVcZXA9.jpg

It also appears there is a bit of damage to the back covers of the Tamagotchis (I’ve tried to include this in the photographs), presumably from attempts to get into them (it was so many years ago, I can’t remember what exactly happened). Does anyone know if this will cause any problems/issues if I manage to get the Tamagotchis up and running with new screws?

I am so, so sorry for all of the questions! I am new to all of this and it has been many, many years since I last played with one. I have to admit, I am a bit of a worrier and due to being quite eager to play with them again, I’m fretting over everything. :lol:

https://japanyouwant.com/product/new-replacement-screw-vessel-screwdriver-friction-drops-set-for-old-models

That looks like it would definitely help me, but I am just wondering if anyone has actually used the screwdriver/screws/friction drops before and if so, did they work? I am also wondering if they would be ok to use with my Angel and P2 (I am guessing so, as it states for older models- but I tend to be a bit paranoid and in need of reassurance when it comes to this kind of thing :lol: ).
That set should be okay to use on your Tamagotchis and other Vpets as that set is meant specifically for screws, and also sold by a company that caters to Tamagotchis. Awhile back I found this blog post that has a bunch of tips on screw removal and screw grab drops.

I am also questioning if I could use the screw replacements (as I see that they also sell the screws separately) and screwdriver for other non-Bandai, older Tamagotchis? I have a very varied collection and would love to get some of them going again. On a slight side note, is this screwdriver practical for newer Tamagotchi models? Such as the Connection V3, 20th Anniversary, etc? Or will I need another one to use on them?
I think you could use those screws in your other Vpets as from my experience with a few oddpets (giga pets and a Nekotcha), I never needed to change my screwdriver when putting batteries in them. I'm guessing that maybe the screw lengths will be different in other virtual pets but probably more or less the same. I've also used the same screw driver I use for my vintage tamas on my connections, my 20th anniversary mini, my lone colour model, and my Tamagotchi Friends Dream Towns (which use a similar mold to the colour models). Thus you can use the same screwdriver for all of them. Additionally, I've taken apart connection models and they have smaller screws inside, but I never needed to change screwdrivers to remove them.

Oh! And in regards to corrosion, is white vinegar really the safest thing to use? I am terrified of breaking them, but have a couple that could do with a clean.
I'm not sure about this and all I really know is that the danger is getting moisture inside an electronic device, so I think it should be fine if you apply it with a q-tip and leave your Tamagotchi to dry for awhile, maybe an hour or something like that (or alternatively you could remove any potential liquid with the unused side of the q-tip). From what I read up about corrosion, it looks like any means of removing it is okay as some people would even chip it off with a screw driver.

I did have one particularity bad experience with corrosion where it had nearly eaten through one battery contact on an angelgotchi. I did get it to work only to realize that the reason it hadn't been turning on before was because the contact was bending down and it ultimately bent and broke. Thus the real danger of corrosion is making battery contacts brittle. I removed the broken contact from my angelgotchi so hopefully one day I'll find a way to replace it, a solution which will ultimately make more vintage tamas work (the two main vintage Tamagotchi problems are stripped screws and corroded contacts).

Oh! One more thing! Can anyone point me towards storage suggestions for both ones not in use and for when I am out and about with my little critters? :D I would love to keep them safe and take as best care of them as I can.
The number one recommended tip for storing Tamagotchis is to remove their batteries. Batteries have the potential to corrode the contacts if they leak (although this problem has been minimized with modern batteries). Along with that is storing Tamagotchis in a cool dry place with silica gel packets, as the silica will help keep the area dry. This also applies to other virtual pets as well.

Now as for the virtual pets you are actively running, the only real danger is being scratched. Most people store their Tamagotchis in cases or pouches, anything that will go between the Tamagotchi and the environment. For vintage Tamagotchis, specially sized hard cases can be found online just by searching "Tamagotchi case". If the screen does get scratched, creams can be bought to remove them. The common ones are Displex and Polywatch. Tamagotchis or any other virtual pets should not be left outside as they will get wet and also not in direct sunlight for long periods of time, as the screen will blacken (the screen will later return to normal once taken out of the sunlight).

Beyond that, there is the simple common sense of not taking a virtual pet where the human caretaker is liable to fall or be jostled around, thus causing devices to fly out or break. For example, if the sidewalks around my neighbourhood are very icy, I will leave my Tamagotchis at home or if I will be playing badminton, I won't bring my Tamagotchis.

It also appears there is a bit of damage to the back covers of the Tamagotchis (I’ve tried to include this in the photographs), presumably from attempts to get into them (it was so many years ago, I can’t remember what exactly happened). Does anyone know if this will cause any problems/issues if I manage to get the Tamagotchis up and running with new screws?
Nope, it wont cause problems at all. A vintage Tamagotchi case has two points where it is secured to the device, the first being the screws near the top of the back cover and the second being the prongs that are slotted into a space inside the device. The outer edge of the back cover is a minor part in securing the back cover (I think it fits on top of a raised ridge but it wouldn't do anything if it wasn't for the screws holding it down). As long as it has two screws and the prongs are undamaged, there shouldn't be a problem with the back coming off.

The unique circumstance with vintage Tamagotchis is that the back cover ultimately controls whether the Tamagotchi stays or on off, as it forces the batteries down. This isn't the case with the connection models as they have a specialized slot for the battery that hold it down on its own. For some colour models there is a similar case where the batteries fit into a vertical slot and the back cover merely covers over the batteries.

Knighttchi’s Ballad - Ah! Thank you so, so much for replying to me- I really, really appreciate it and all of your in-depth reply has been incredibly helpful. :D

That is great to know that the set should be good for both Tamagotchis and my other Virtual Pets- since realising I have some threaded screws I have been super paranoid and also worrying about how to get them out. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you for the blog post- I am going to get to reading that right away.

That is fantastic to know, thank you very much! I’ve got quite varied Virtual Pets in my collection, so having one that should hopefully work for them all would be fantastic. I guess the only real way to tell in regards to the screws would be to get them out and compare them? I’ve seen that they do have smaller screws on the website:

https://japanyouwant.com/product/new-replacement-screw-for-ketai-entama-uratama-school-x10

Are they more better suited for the connection? Or am I better going to a watch repair shop or something similar (I am thinking of the store ‘Timpsons’ in the UK), to get it looked at, if ever I should need to?

Thats a great idea- I think I would feel more comfortable drying it off afterwards, or helping it dry out at least. I’ve also heard that wiping? alcohol? can be used, as it dries quickly? This is all completely new to me and I am really hoping that I choose the correct way to do this.

Ouch! Thats quite an unfortunate thing to happen. :( I hope that you can one day fix it, as that would definitely help a lot of vintage Tamas! I really hope you can find a solution and get your little Angel working again.

Fortunately most batteries have been removed (as far as I can see) from my Tamagotchis- I definitely have my Mother to thank for that! I am itching to check those I cannot see (non-clear cases), but I was waiting to find out if that set would be of any use to do so- as my collection is quite different with Tamagotchis, Nanos, Gigas, etc. I am hoping that they are all ok, as I would really love to get some of the little critters running again and relive the awesome experience. :wub:

Do you possibly know where to get Silica Gel Packets? I have my Virtual Pets in a plastic box at the moment- I moved them over from a plastic bag. Luckily, as far as I am aware, they have always been stored in the house.

Yeah, one of my Tamas screens is already scratched- it turned up like that :( Sadly he seem to have something under the glass too- possibly a crumb or something similar? I’m assuming thats because I popped him in my pocket, which is open and has no zip or anything (its a cardigan-style thing). I’m not sure if it was there when I purchased him, but its a little sad to see, as I am quite frightened and reluctant to open it up and try to remove it. :( I’m definitely going to look into Displex and Polywatch, though, I saw someone mention it on Youtube. Have you had any experience using either one- or a preference to which one works best? I’m looking at using it on my Connection V3- as that is the one with the scratched screen.

Yeah, I have to admit that I am a bit on the clumsy side (for various reasons)- so I am always ultra paranoid about something happening if I were to fall over or stumble. I think I might do a bit of hunting into some pouches or something similar, to prevent any ‘crumbs’ or whatever it is getting into my Tamas in the future!

Ahhh! That is absolutely brilliant to know- thank you so much! I have to admit that I was a bit worried, particularly when looking at my Angel. I am really hoping that if I can replace the screws, it will sit nicely and hold it all in place. I really want to get these going again. :wub:

Thank you so, so much again for all of your help and your in-depth reply. I really do appreciate it and can’t express my gratitude enough! I’m a worrier by nature and its good to talk to someone who has knowledge! I think the next step for me to do is to order that screwdriver set and start looking for a place that sells decent batteries. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back