Tama P's and Nokia N73

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UmAbbas

Reaction score
Hi!

So...after a lot of struggle (because eBay is terrified of shipping to Middle East), I've managed to find a local person selling Nokia N73 (and not very cheap -_- ), which is on the compatible list of phones.

We have ID, ID L and P's at home, however the Nokia simply refuses to connect to any of them.

Is there anything I can do?

It's extremely frustrating. The Tamagotchis do see the phone (the connection icon turns from pink to red when close to the phone), but the phone simply times out on any item I try to send to them. The IR icon keeps on blinking which indicates it doesn't see it at all. I transfer the files to the Nokia via my Note 8's bluetooth. I get the files from VPets.com.

We even bought a new Sim card for the Nokia just to make sure that it's not acting stupid because it's in 'offline' mode - didn't help at all.

Is Nokia N73 actually compatible with them or was it a mistake that I will be sorry for?

There's no way of checking the IR rate on it or changing it, and I'm very disappoint :angry: atm. I can't afford another phone gamble. :( Any way to make the god damned thing work?

Any phone that has an IR sending option should be compatible, so you don't really have to stick to any list. A compatible phone list is only really useful for the 4U.

The only theory I have as to why it doesn't work is that maybe the files got corrupted through the bluetooth transfer? The files have to be completely unaltered to be read by P's properly. Have you also tried multiple files? Files for the iD or iD L aren't compatible with the P's. Also, are you pointing the P's IR port to the phone's IR port?

I did. I also tried to send the file via bluetooth from the Note to the Nokia and then back, to make sure no compression is happening (the file sizes are identical.).

I tried facing the port, touching the port, having it an inch apart or angled. I tried normal light, dark room, lit room. I tried all three Tamas, and their respective downloads, I tried wallpapers, accessories, games.

I'm at wit's ends, to be frank. :huh:

Here's a video of what's happening (or not)...if that's any help. Forgive the parrot noises in the background :ichigotchi:

https://umabbas.tumblr.com/private/171203524859/tumblr_p4m4kzr0hY1r0cv65

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really not sure what could be going on... :/ Are you sure you're choosing the right connection option on your P's? Sorry for the stupid questions but it's really hard to pinpoint what could be going wrong...

Can you take a video of you trying to connect them?

Just did, sorry, edited it in the previous reply of mine.

Your parrot sounds cute! :D

Hmm, I don't see you doing anything wrong... Though usually when I send items onto my P's I configure both the phone and the P's at the exact same time (preferably with both hands) so there's no delay.... If there's even a slight delay the connection usually fails. I also know that my phone has two separate ways of sending something through IR, one of which doesn't work because it compresses the image a bit. (It's also a Nokia but not the same model)

The one that doesn't work is when I actually click on the image and view it and then choose the option to send, the one that does work is when I do it through the gallery menu.

Here, I recorded how the process looks in my case:

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png

I usually do it at the same time as well, was just holding other phone to film :p

Still nothing. I tried sending from image view, gallery view and even directly after receiving via bluetooth.

Not sure what could be the problem. The Tamas are brought from Japan in person (hubby brought them as a gift), the phone is Middle Eastern, although that shouldn't matter in case of IR.

Well, if anyone has other throwaway phones, I'm here, ready to catch. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so, the only way for me not to proclaim the phone's IR busted is to have a miniSD, which I don't (ofc, I have normal SD for camera and microSD for other phones) or an adapter for it (which they don't seem to sell here because noone uses 2GB miniSDs anymore... :nyatchi: )

Does anyone have experience with the phones from Singapore, from Fuzzy n Chic? Would they be willing to use other than standard mail carrier (normal post gets lost or stolen here, only FedEx, Aramex and DHL work :( )

I tried ordering from Cutie Pie Kawaii but she refuses to use different carriers bar the US ones, sadly. (As many US sellers do, for some odd reason.) <_<

Your parrot sounds cute! :D

Hmm, I don't see you doing anything wrong... Though usually when I send items onto my P's I configure both the phone and the P's at the exact same time (preferably with both hands) so there's no delay.... If there's even a slight delay the connection usually fails. I also know that my phone has two separate ways of sending something through IR, one of which doesn't work because it compresses the image a bit. (It's also a Nokia but not the same model)

The one that doesn't work is when I actually click on the image and view it and then choose the option to send, the one that does work is when I do it through the gallery menu.

Here, I recorded how the process looks in my case:

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png
The phone is Polski! I am from polska

i heard good things about FuzzyNChic's phones, especially since she checks them before shipping plus it also has a NFC transfer that works with the 4U- one less headache for you in case you'd want that version, since it's very, very hard to find an affordable device that works with the 4U. Plus I think she already loads it with the english patch.

As for 2gb cards, I might have some laying around, if I find one I might consider sending it to you though no promises!

The phone is Polski! I am from polska
Yeah, I'm Polish too.

I'd like to update, in case anyone faces similar problems as me:

The N73 works, and it wasn't the bluetooth. It was a non-transparent plate over the IR beam.

Either I was having a very common case of stupid or it was refurbished by the seller or not mentioned anywhere in the manuals, but the N73 has a non-transparent plate over the IrDA port that didn't allow the Nokia to connect to the Tamagotchi, despite the Tama seeing the phone and connecting to it.

Once I pried it open (I think it can be removed gently to the side, similarly to the phone's cover over its memory slot...but you don't enrage a 9mo pregnant woman and expect gentle results, ok. :wacko: ), it worked flawlessly.

I imagine it doesn't need the SIM card either, since both BT and IR work without that.

Thanks Jhud for help provided here. :ichigotchi:

That's great news that you got it working! :D My guess is that the non-transparent thing emitted enough IR to be seen by the P's, but didn't take enough from the P's to work.

It's always good to learn that the money didn't go to waste after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back