Photo
- - - - -

How many fandoms have you’ve been in?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: How many fandoms have you’ve been in (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How many fandoms have you’ve been in?

1. 1-10 (10 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. 10-50 (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. 50-infinity (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

raichuu

• raichuu user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:51 PM ( #18 )

They make it seem like Ryo only wanted to torture Akira when he really wanted to save him and had good reasons to do all the things he did. And how neither Akira or Ryo are in the right.

It sort of reminds me of that whole L vs Light argument that was really persistent during Death Note's run... Or maybe a better example would be from Shiki; the Shiki vs Humans debate. I'm so sorry if you've never seen it, and I'm just making super dumb and confusing references.

Which of the two had more of a right to live?

Humans use livestock to survive, so why was it wrong for the Shiki [or Demons for Devilman] to feed off a handful of humans to achieve the same thing?

The demons were there first, so why did the humans have to take it away?

I naturally sided more with Akira [being a biased human myself :"D] , but I could see where Ryo was coming from. His whole point-of-view was made very clear, and it does make me kind of sad that some fans just throw away his entire character away.

Ryo and Akira were both really great characters, and I ended up loving them both to pieces. TwT /

Ryo truly wanted the best for Akira in that time. All he wanted was to ensure Akira's survival for whatever was going to happen. Granted, if he was able to just come to terms with his feelings for Akira sooner, then things would've ended much differently. Maybe even happier.

BUT IT WOULDN'T BE DEVILMAN IF IT ENDED HAPPILY.

I can't see their relationship as being problematic, but maybe I also missed some sort of point with the other side of that discussion. I guess it was like... That thing where Ryo convinced Akira to become a Devilman, and Akira blindly followed him because he trusted Ryo to do the right thing.

I'm not sure!

I would love to hear the other side of that though!

Sometimes fictional relationships can really change the way we look at relationships in real life, not just as individuals but also as a community.

I also agree with this!

Some fictional relationships do tackle problems that people in real life might be too afraid to confront, or recognize as something abusive per say.

Ahh, a shipwar. Personally, I don't know why people get so fanatical about romantic pairings, canonical or not. It's not like people can't make fanart, fanfiction, etc.

People can get real crazy with their ships, and I wish it wasn't something that happened though.

To be honest, I think that's one of the scarier parts of a fandom LOL;;;

Sorry, I sort of went on a tangent. ;w;

Jhud

• jhud user photo

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:11 PM ( #19 )

I don't think this is a place to discuss the relationship between Akira and Ryo because we're already being quite off-topic, but their relationship is definitely something you have to -understand-, and possibly indulge in other resources, like the manga and other series (one of them is... way more hardcore than crybaby when it comes to its content, and even its biggest fans don't reccomend reading it. So there's that. But it has some good points in it). But the whole point of Devilman in general that Ryo isn't the villain, and that he is just trying his best to save those he loves, even if his ways aren't the best.

• raichuu likes this

Hoky

• hoky user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:41 PM ( #20 )

On the subject of Fandoms, some of my coworkers and I were talking about how fandom loyalty kinda confuses us. Someone at our work who is a diehard Potter fan refuses to read other fantasy, and we just don't get that. Like, take me for example: I love all mecha, and I love all virtual pets. Do I lean more towards Transformers and Tamagotchi respectively? Sure! But like... variety is the spice of life! I don't get that, but then, I think I don't draw as much self from fandoms?

I think, for me, fandom is more the amount of time and knowledge I invest in a subject, but the fandoms themselves don't define me, where a lot of people that's EXACTLY what happens. My love of mecha and virtual pets is an aspect of my personality, but that's not who I am. I'm a writer, and the head of a Quality Assurance team, and a husband, and tall, and genetically 4% Neanderthal. I'm NOT just a transformers fan or a tama fan. It's more like... those are the clothes I wear. Does that make sense? Are we on topic again? XD

• raichuu likes this

Jhud

• jhud user photo

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:13 AM ( #21 )

I think it makes sense, and it's a healthy way to be to be honest. I'm a huge fan of a lot of things but hardcore fans scare me... I can understand if it's their special interest (I have special interests too- it's an autism thing) but otherwise some people need to learn to chill. It's good to give everything a chance.

I think the biggest example of this are Pokemon fans above all else. Not only are they clinging onto the gen they remember from their childhood and claim it's the best one, but they're also always VERY against other monster-collecting games... Especially Digimon (doesn't help how the English dub really made it seem like it's trying to compete with Pokemon, when it really didn't) but also Yokai Watch, not understanding that these kinda games were a  genre even way before Pokemon. 

Sadly, while I try to not be a hardcore fan of anything, at the same time I've been finding it hard to define myself outside of my fandoms. A lot of my mental issues have sucked out my personality and passions I used to have, so now... I really don't have anything to talk about with anyone outside of media I enjoy, which is kind of sad. 

• Hoky and raichuu like this

AnniChu

• annichu user photo

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:42 AM ( #22 )

I'm in quite a few fandoms, but the main ones I'm active in are Pokémon, Undertale (I try to avoid the darker side as best as I can...), Animal Crossing, Harry Potter, Tamagotchi (of course), and Furry fandoms. There are other things that I'm into, I just don't consider myself a big enough fan of them to be part of their fandom. I tend to jump around between them too.

Coryn Asur

• coryn-asur user photo

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:06 AM ( #23 )

I've been in various fandoms but nowadays I wouldn't want to tell people that I'm in a fandom. I'm a fan of certain franchises, but don't consider myself a member of fandoms anymore. It sounds weird and I wouldn't want to associate myself with the entire huge group of people just because I enjoy similar things.

kuchikid

• kuchikid user photo

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:30 AM ( #24 )

I honestly wouldn't even consider myself part of the Tamagotchi fandom. I like Tamagotchis, but fandoms are, in my opinion, creepy hiveminds.
  • Coryn Asur likes this