Which tama?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berryitchi

Reaction score
Hai! :)

I've been wondering which tama to get next. I'll have to buy from Amazon. Here are my 3 tama choices: A Friends (not the Dream Town version), a 4U, or an original P.

So, which tama is the best out of those 3? ONLY those 3. xD The Friends, a 4U or a P1/P2? The P would be the Japanese version.

I want games, and... yeah. xD Something to amuse me when I'm bored. xD

So, which is the best? The Friends is the most expensive, with the P being the cheapest. I didn't think that the Friends were that popular, but y'know.

Thanks! Bai :wub:

Honestly, gameplay wise none of these are very good. But since you started with a Mini, I guess going with a vintage (P1 or P2) wouldn't be a bad idea in theory, but at the same time, it's not all that much different... Unlike the mini, it has one game and a discipline function and a bit more interface, and most characters are the same.

4U is... unfortunate due to the small amount of raiseable characters and amount of things to buy if you don't have a compatible device, but at the same time if you've never had a color version before, it might be not that bad, since you wouldn't have anything to compare it to and not be disappointed like some of us were when this version got released.

Friends has a decent amount of games and pretty nice characters, but it's, eh... clunky and not great.

I think out of all of these probably 4U would be the best, it would surely keep you occupied compared to the other two.

Also, the 4U is probably the most reasonably priced tama on Amazon, the Friends is DEFINITELY not worth the price it's going for there. I bought mine for 5$ in-store and wouldn't pay more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, you found a bad side to all of 'em. xD I could do the 4U... I don't have the app though. Cuz it IS a colour tama... they look really nice... I DO like them a a lot... yeah. I thought the P's had more features than that, but guess not :p Thanks!

Woah, I saw a video on unboxing the 4u and it looks soooooo complicated. :(

I think the Friends could be okay. And as the other are in Japanese~

How hard is it to set up the 4U? :huh:

You don't necessarily need the app to play with it, it just feels... bare without it. But since you haven't had a color version before, you won't feel it at all. You're not spoiled like some of us were!

That's only how many characters it has without downloading any:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ggc8iqaBpZ4/V260NdiX3ZI/AAAAAAAAAWw/l-fzYAJS5goq-Ab2pnfurlGl4jljm4YcwCLcB/s1600/4U%2BGC.png

vs how many the previous version, P's, had:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tamagotchi/images/7/70/Tamagotchi_Ps_chara.png/revision/latest?cb=20121014001603

(and P's had downloadable characters too!)

We call the P1/P2's just that- P1 or P2. We don't call them P individually, especially not P's, since "P's" is a whole other version, a color one. It would get confusing.
4U is not complicated to "set up", you set it up just like any other tama. You put in the batteries, set teh date, time, birthday, user name and then wait for your tama to hatch. Language isn't a big problem, there are guides for what every thing does but with time you will be able to do everything via instinct.

I'd go for the 4U. There's nothing like getting your first colour-screen Tamagotchi. I mean, they don't have much without downloads, but the graphics are amazing, and it would feel like a whole new experience, compared to a mini. They're much easier to find accessories for, but they also unfortunately are very expensive. I wouldn't try and buy extra faceplates for them, to be honest. People can be complete idiots and charge something like thirty dollars for them. Little accessories aren't worth that much in Japan. Not that I've been, but my friend did...anyway, sorry for the rant.

Well, the 4U's the favourite. My only concern is that it'll be hard to set up :( I might just have to watch videos on it. Hey, I saw with the Friends if you press a-c-a-c etc. then the character's face'll appear really large on the screen. xD Does the 4U do this tooo? I thought it was kinda cute, but not necessary :p

If you want something with games, you'll be disappointed from the P1/P2. They only have one minigame which is pretty boring (there are other nice things about them, which make them one of my favourites, but the minigame definitely isn't one of them). Still, they contain more things than a mini. The lifespan isn't set to 14 days - it depends largely on how well you take care of them, witch the max being around a month, and you can see the stats etc.

I don't know about the Friends and 4U cause I never had one, but I prefer simpler tamagotchis so I'm not that interested in them. If I were you I'd pick a Connection V4, it has many minigames and variety of characters. Or V2/V3. V2 for the cute characters, V3 cause the games of the V2 aren't the best either.

Wow, good to hear some positives about the P1. xD I can't do any v1's/2's, etc as Amazon has a v3 for £300. Ouch. So yeah. IDK how many games the 4U has or anything, but I think I might go for that one. Ooh, you buy stuff on the 4U, right? Can you get more foods? :D Like rice, bread, candy, cake, etc. The mini only has rice and candy, so hehe. xD I think the P1 may be okay, but mehhhhh xD, the Friends is overpriced (PEOPLE MOAN ABOUT THEIR SCREENS: THE SCREENS ARE FIYYYYNE!!!! xD) and the 4U looks gorgeous, is colour, etc. xD Thanks again Iza, nice to get a different view point. :)

Reactions: Iza
If you get a friends, get the dream town version, I've heard that the evolution mechanics for the wave 1 and 2 friends aren't that great, and you end up with the same adult most of the time.

Connection models shouldn't be that expensive if you win them from ebay bids, buy it now prices are often ridiculous, v6 or v4/4.5 are the best gameplay wise. Try using the search term "tamagotchi 2004" as well.

P1/P2s have their own charm, but it sounds like you want a color version. The 4u (but not 4u+) has an english patch avaliable and you can buy them pre-patched in english. As I don't own one, I can't speak for the 4u. IDLs are usually cheaper than 4u's and have 32 pre-installed characters. I recommend them, especially if you have a phone with IRDA.

Just checked, amazon prices are much steeper than ebay, if you can get your parents to bid/buy it off ebay it'll likely be a lot cheaper.

4U is not hard to set up at all. It literally sets up like any other tamagotchi, you don't need to know any language to turn it on.

Probably the most time consuming thing would be setting up your name, but it has the English alphabet built in.

You can also buy an Aikatsu touch-card that has a faceplate very cheaply, I got mine for 5$.

Okay, Idk if Amazon do the ID L's... :/ And my parents won't do ebay - they have no accounts for it and don't like it I guess. They just buy new stuff. :p As Amazon don't have the dream town ver. of Friends, I think I can cross that out. Plus they're £50. xD The 4U's pretty good, the P1 kindaaaa meh, and I'll look at the ID L. Thx! :D

Japanyouwant is the best place to buy tamagotchis (ebay's prices are way too inflated), but your parents probably won't want to shop through a site they're not familiar with, I guess.

Amazon supposedly has iD L's, that's the cheapest one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamagotchi-iD-L-PINK-Toy/dp/B004LLI3A8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530293843&sr=8-2&keywords=tamagotchi+id+l

But the one bad review says that it's not in color, so maybe it's actually friends in disguise? Which proves that Amazon is not any better than ebay, you can get scammed on Amazon too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamagotchi-iD-L-BLUE-Toy/dp/B004LLI3CQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530293843&sr=8-4&keywords=tamagotchi+id+l

This one is a bit more expensive but still a good price, and people say that it's in Japanese so it should be okay, but it's used, the listing says it has "a little dirt and scratches"...

There are some more expensive ones, ranging from 80 to 100, but that's not a great price.

Yeah... I'm not quite sure about the id l... :/ How much more does it do than the 4u? I was looking for tamas no more than £50 at the max... tysm though :) :)

It has way more characters, items, customisation options, a teen stage (4U doesn't have a teen stage), unlockable locations and features, and getting downloadable content for it is way easier, because you don't need a very expensive compatible phone that might not end up being compatible, you just need an old IRDA phone you probably either have laying around at home or can get for like 5$. But even without downloadable items, you can have a lot of fun with it because it doesn't feel "bare", there's plenty to unlock. If you try you can even make your own items. Plus it has a tree growing feature which I really enjoyed. It's quite close to P's sans some features.

Maybe convince your parents to japanyouwant.com? There's a sale going on right now making it's used tamas even cheaper, there is an iD L for 30$, a Friends for 8$, and other cool versions.

Ooh. O_O Okay. I'll have to consider that... As you mentioned, someone said the pink id l wasn't in colour. :/ I'm not sure about that. But I could try the id l instead of the 4U. Idk. (I have no compatible phones unless an Alcatel One Touch which can call and text and nothing else counts xD)

Even if it's not in colour (I saw one picture) it looks alright. But would a b/w id l defeat the purpose? xD

B/W iD L's don't exist. As you can see, Tamagotchi Friends has the same shells as iD L. It might be a Friends in disguise. So I wouldn't go for that one to be honest.

71QK0A5dxfL._SY355_.jpg

This is Tamagotchi Friends in an iD L shell.

Also, that Alcatel phone might work if it has IRDA. Very old and basic phones have IRDA.

But... it still says 'Friends' at the top. And the id l's have that connecting thing at the top. xD I'm temped to get it. Then I get either a Friends or an id l. xD It'd be for christmas tho. I plan early xD I need time to think and stuff xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back