Where did the User Ranks go?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tech Admin

Hello TamaTalkers!

As many of you have noticed, the user rank system has been changed a bit... And by change I mean more like removed. The Guides and I have been discussing a change to the user rank system based on this poll. Our discussions ended up leading us into the issue of spam posting and the quest of many to increase their post counts/user rank for the sole purpose of seeing it change. This is usually done by posts consisting of single words, smilies or "ooh look I'm almost a TamaMax" type posts and topics. This leaves the TamaTalk Guide team with the job of cleaning house to get rid of these posts. As the site has grown so has the task of cleaning up. It gets difficult to read through and filter 1000 posts each day. So the thought of getting rid of the user rank system came up. The idea is that, in reality, user ranks really don't serve much of a purpose. Just because you become a TamaMax or TamaElder does not mean you have contributed hundreds and hundreds of useful posts. In much the same way, just because you have 200 posts doesn't mean you haven't contributed/participated as much as somebody with 5 times as many posts. The quality of the posts is not reflected in the post count and user rank. I have yet to find a system that easily tracks the quality versus the quantity.

So now what? We'd like to test out TamaTalk without user ranks for a while. If the "goal" of reaching a new rank is no longer available, will people still spam the forums as much? Let's go without it for a little while... See what happens.

We hope you understand that this was not a simple decision to make... It took a lot of discussion. I really believe it is worth trying out. After a short period without user ranks, we can create a poll to see how people feel about user ranks. Let's give ourselves a chance to get used to it and see if it is still missed after a few weeks without them.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this... Please feel free to reply to this topic and add your thoughts. As always, we are always open to suggestion and love to hear your thoughts. :blink:

yeah i totally agree about ranks!

sometimes ppl soam 4 more posts that don't mean anything...............

so.......are we leaving the posts?? i'm sure no-one's going to delete them all because that would take days to delete 13.000 memebers posts!!!

if we leave it without ranks i'm sure it'll go well! ;) :D :blink: :(

i really dont like the idea of ditching the ranks.... some ppl worked really hard to get to tamaelder (like me) and it is sad to watch all there effort disapear, i am so sad to whatch my rank disapear

Hello TamaTalkers!As many of you have noticed, the user rank system has been changed a bit...  And by change I mean more like removed.  The Guides and I have been discussing a change to the user rank system based on this poll.  Our discussions ended up leading us into the issue of spam posting and the quest of many to increase their post counts/user rank for the sole purpose of seeing it change.  This is usually done by posts consisting of single words, smilies or "ooh look I'm almost a TamaMax" type posts and topics.  This leaves the TamaTalk Guide team with the job of cleaning house to get rid of these posts.  As the site has grown so has the task of cleaning up.  It gets difficult to read through and filter 1000 posts each day.  So the thought of getting rid of the user rank system came up.  The idea is that, in reality, user ranks really don't serve much of a purpose.  Just because you become a TamaMax or TamaElder does not mean you have contributed hundreds and hundreds of useful posts.  In much the same way, just because you have 200 posts doesn't mean you haven't contributed/participated as much as somebody with 5 times as many posts.  The quality of the posts is not reflected in the post count and user rank.  I have yet to find a system that easily tracks the quality versus the quantity. 

So now what?  We'd like to test out TamaTalk without user ranks for a while.  If the "goal" of reaching a new rank is no longer available, will people still spam the forums as much?  Let's go without it for a little while...  See what happens.

We hope you understand that this was not a simple decision to make...  It took a lot of discussion. I really believe it is worth trying out.  After a short period without user ranks, we can create a poll to see how people feel about user ranks.  Let's give ourselves a chance to get used to it and see if it is still missed after a few weeks without them.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this...  Please feel free to reply to this topic and add your thoughts.  As always, we are always open to suggestion and love to hear your thoughts. :blink:
Yes, it would help get rid of spam but, at the same time it's dissapointing! People are astill going to spam to try to get lots of posts, you know. You could have gotten more guides. Some of us worked hard to get up to the rank we are at now! All because of "spammers" I don't like this idea. It's dissapointing.

-Darkcore

Last edited by a moderator:
look, maybe Admin (hopefull cute puppydog eyes here) can leave the rank and let us keep our posts!

It is a drastic change... No doubt about it. Remember it is only a test for now... Post counts won't be changed outside of what normally happens during day to day house cleaning. And you still have your post count! Please remember that the count alone doesn't tell much! The respect level you have from others tells more about you than a post count or user rank...

I know it will disappoint some... I apologize. We are just trying something different.

I still disagree, i liked looking at my 4 blips and thinking "Wow, i really did make a good acheivment, i will always be proud of myself" and now to see them gone, it make me think "what avievment have you made RTT!"

im not too strong about it cos we still keep our posts!

but i liked the blips they were cool
i suppose so.......... our names look wied now..........but i'm staying at tamatalk (the best site EVER) no matter what :blink:

i dont feel like staying anymore

why??? just cos of 2 or 3 or 4 little dots by your name????

its a bit unusual but we can't have half of tamatalk leaving cos of that!

This is ridiculpous. It is totally childish to leave a wonderful place just because you don't have a certain amount of squares by your name. However, I woould not mind having something to filol that blank space... Even if it is just one rank that says Tamamember. :blink: I don't like seeing things empty. But however, I think this idea is a quite good one. We always need to experiment to see what is better. :(

This is ridiculpous. It is totally childish to leave a wonderful place just because you don't have a certain amount of squares by your name. However, I woould not mind having something to filol that blank space... Even if it is just one rank that says Tamamember. :blink: I don't like seeing things empty. But however, I think this idea is a quite good one. We always need to experiment to see what is better. :(
i wouldn't be able to say that better!!!

come on!!!!! this is like the best site ever and ppl who r very popular r leaving cos of a square??????!!!!??????

well i'm not leaving..................

Still,

Just because our User Ranks have vanished, it does not mean that the spammers are going to stop spamming. They do it to get their post count up and to bother Guides and other members. I really hope our post count doesn't disappear because then I would quit. I will give this a try. I was just disappointed then.

-Darkcore

Last edited by a moderator:
why??? just cos of 2 or 3 or 4 little dots by your name????

its a bit unusual but we can't have half of tamatalk leaving cos of that!
no its that it happened al of a sudden with no warning, i am still shocked after just throwing up, so that is part of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back