TamaTalk is experiencing growing pains!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tech Admin

Hello again TamaTalkers!

I wanted to write everyone to let you know some of what has been going on here behind the scenes... We made the move to a new server setup in hopes of getting some much needed elbow room to grow and expand the site. We now have that space. Unfortunately, we are also growing so much that the current server setups aren't able to handle the load anymore. We have always been working with L2 Ventures to stay online. The costs of staying online continue to grow. The monthly cost of a server to host this site is now having to be bumped up to $100 each month... They are telling us that the load might need a bump up even further to a stronger dedicated server (which usually start out costing about $200 each month). Pretty high if you ask me but we don't have a choice. We have been experimenting with more advertising to help offset some costs. We might need to do even more. I am thinking of adding a banner advertisement spot at the top of the screen (to the right of the TamaTalk logo) which people/companies can "rent" out and help sponsor us and keep costs down. I hate advertising as much as the next web surfer... But that's the only way we can stay free for everyone. This will be worked out soon... Hope everyone udnerstands!

Related to all this growth related problems... TamaChat is currently closed for repairs. The chat system did not survive the move to our new server. I have been trying to get things working again but have hit a number of frustrating walls. To add on to the problems, the growth of the site is also leading to much slowness overall as our database is trying to cope. The chat system adds to the database load a great deal. So until the database slowness can be resolved, chat will remain closed. I am hoping this will not last too long...

Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding through our growing pains...

-Admin-

UGH! Some more problems kept us offline overnight and into today... Should be good now... I hope!

Sorry for the problems!

Ok, I understand admin. I hope it is the end of that.

at last! i can get on!

i hope the problems will be over soon

Yeah! I was soooo bored. Now that I finally got on I'm not gonna leave! (At least for now anyways. My mom use the computer alot.)

Glad to be back!!! Not to be another frustrating wall, Admin, but when exactly will the Chat get settled in? :rolleyes: I'm dying to get back on there!!! :(

-Thanx for all your help!!! You did a good job Admin!!! I have a slow compooper, but now Tamatalk seems to go faster!!! Hope you're buisness thing improves!!!

Ok I better stop typing now!!!

[SIZE=14pt]Well, I hope everything works out okay. Hopefully, we don't need to move up into that stronger server because it is so expensive. As great as it is having TamaTalk grow, it still causes problems.[/SIZE]

Best of luck, Admin!

Generation12

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think chat is a good idea right now... We are in the middle bracket of costs right now and I want to see how much better it is before testing things with the chat... Moving up to the top bracket (and higher cost of $200 per month) would let us add in chat easily... But I have no idea how I could afford that much money. Unfortunately, I can't say when chat will be back... :rolleyes: I know it stinks because it is a very popular destination on weekends... Wish I had better news.

Last edited:
Don't think chat is a good idea right now... We are in the middle bracket of costs right now and I want to see how much better it is before testing things with the chat... Moving up to the top bracket (and higher cost of $200 per month) would let us add in chat easily... But I have no idea how I could afford that much money. Unfortunately, I can't say when chat will be back... :rolleyes: I know it stinks because it is a very popular destination on weekends... Wish I had better news.
Sorry... I didn't know.... I'm sorry about what I typed and what had happened to the chatroom. :(

[SIZE=22pt] I noticed...I hope the things are gone soon. TamaTalk is just going through a 'phase'. I understand. [/SIZE]

:chohimetchi: tamagirl777

Due to the shear size of the site, problems like this are natrual, and I think we should all be grateful Admin hasn't completely shut down the site. Most people would not put as much time & money into this site, particularly for no return other than other's enjoyment. So, Thankyou Admin for doing your best, and we are exremely lucky to have TamaTalk at all, even more so in these troubled times.

JC

Glad to be back!!! Not to be another frustrating wall, Admin, but when exactly will the Chat get settled in? :chohimetchi: I'm dying to get back on there!!! :angry:
-Thanx for all your help!!! You did a good job Admin!!! I have a slow compooper, but now Tamatalk seems to go faster!!! Hope you're buisness thing improves!!!

Ok I better stop typing now!!!
;)

I hope TamaTalk can get bigger and have the same URL and server. But, I assume that is impossible, right Admin?

I hope my mom or dad will let me send money to help out TamaTalk. ;)

Hello again TamaTalkers!I wanted to write everyone to let you know some of what has been going on here behind the scenes... We made the move to a new server setup in hopes of getting some much needed elbow room to grow and expand the site. We now have that space. Unfortunately, we are also growing so much that the current server setups aren't able to handle the load anymore. We have always been working with L2 Ventures to stay online. The costs of staying online continue to grow. The monthly cost of a server to host this site is now having to be bumped up to $100 each month... They are telling us that the load might need a bump up even further to a stronger dedicated server (which usually start out costing about $200 each month). Pretty high if you ask me but we don't have a choice. We have been experimenting with more advertising to help offset some costs. We might need to do even more. I am thinking of adding a banner advertisement spot at the top of the screen (to the right of the TamaTalk logo) which people/companies can "rent" out and help sponsor us and keep costs down. I hate advertising as much as the next web surfer... But that's the only way we can stay free for everyone. This will be worked out soon... Hope everyone udnerstands!

Related to all this growth related problems... TamaChat is currently closed for repairs. The chat system did not survive the move to our new server. I have been trying to get things working again but have hit a number of frustrating walls. To add on to the problems, the growth of the site is also leading to much slowness overall as our database is trying to cope. The chat system adds to the database load a great deal. So until the database slowness can be resolved, chat will remain closed. I am hoping this will not last too long...

Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding through our growing pains...

-Admin-
God I feel horrible about that. TamaTalk is a great site. If it closed I would feel freaked.

I told my dad about the problem and he said I could give up to $50.00 to TamaTalk! (He's not completely sure yet)

God I feel horrible about that. TamaTalk is a great site. If it closed I would feel freaked.
I told my dad about the problem and he said I could give up to $50.00 to TamaTalk! (He's not completely sure yet)
That's very nice of u.

Due to the shear size of the site, problems like this are natrual, and I think we should all be grateful Admin hasn't completely shut down the site. Most people would not put as much time & money into this site, particularly for no return other than other's enjoyment. So, Thankyou Admin for doing your best, and we are exremely lucky to have TamaTalk at all, even more so in these troubled times. JC
Yeah! Thanks Admin! :p :huh: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back