Band..

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenniswinner

December 2007 Contest Winner
Reaction score
I play clarinet in band and it's really starting to get on my nerves.

Going to lessons every week, annoying reharsels in the afternoons, practicing day by day, UGH!

I can't take it any more!! >.<

I asked my mom, "Can I quit? PLEASE?!" and she said I have to play until I GRADUATE! :wub: 6 MORE YEARS?!

Today at rehearsal my cork on one of my instrument pieces came off, and when the teacher was talking plop! It fell apart! Now I can't play until the teacher fixes it! :lol:

Just sitting there listening to all the noise made me think that I'm a geek! I just don't feel comfortable in band.. :)

If I wasn't so stupid in 4th grade to try out for clarinet I wouldn't have had to go through this! ><

Someone, please, give me advice, I've tried everything with my parents and the answer is no! :wub:

I try my best at playing and I get good grades and all but I just all together hate it..

No offence to anyone in band, of course.

That's a toughie. X.x maybe bring up to your parents that's it's your life and you should be allowed to choose whether or not to go through with something.

Have you told your parents what you've just told about 40,000 people over the internet??? My advice to you is tell your parents how you really feel; its ok to quit sometimes, if you are uncomfortable in band. I quit violin lesons and my mom understood when I told her what was going on. :wub: I'm in fifth grade, but I'm not in band. I mentor for a fourth grade class! ^^

Good Luck!

~SN

Well you can play rock and pop on the clarinet, i think. I know you can on the flute.

Maybe you could find music that suits your taste. :D

Oooh.. tough one. :D

Maybe you could ask your parents to play a different instrument. I play xylophone, and I really like it. :furawatchi: That's really tough, guides will always have good advice for you on TamaTalk.

I have 45 minutes of band class every weekday, at least 2 hours of practice at least every week, and I have to pass of scales too! Trust me, you have a small load! If you can't take THAT good luck in college!

Also instruments DO fall apart. But not if you take good care of them. If you are afraid of being a geek then why did you join band? Not saying everyone who is in band is geeky, but you have a type of title as 'Band Geek' this means you play in band and have a good sense of humor. Just put your heart into your playing and it will put heart into you. I play the trumpet and I know it works.

*No offence was ment to anyone reading this, I beg excuse to any indifference.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, i know how your feeling

I just admitted to my mom that I hate HATE HATE piano..

And you know what surprised me, she said that one of these days I can quiet. After I learn Moonlight Sonata *huff*

But think about it. After I quit, I'll get to play guitar!

yay!

-bamcr-

I have 45 minutes of band class every weekday, at least 2 hours of practice at least every week, and I have to pass of scales too! Trust me, you have a small load! If you can't take THAT good luck in college!Also instruments DO fall apart. But not if you take good care of them. If you are afraid of being a geek then why did you join band? Not saying everyone who is in band is geeky, but you have a type of title as 'Band Geek' this means you play in band and have a good sense of humor. Just put your heart into your playing and it will put heart into you. I play the trumpet and I know it works.

*No offence was ment to anyone reading this, I beg excuse to any indifference.*
Thank you.

I joined because I was so "inspired" when I was little by my sister, who was in high school playing clarinet as well. She hadn't told me about the bad part.

*sigh sigh sigh*

Thanks everyone.

What exactly should I tell my mother? She always says, "There's no point in discussing this. Now go."

:[

Well... if my mom said that to me, I'd say, "Well fine. But hear me out. It's my choice to live my life, and I guess if you don't want to let me have the life I want, I'm not living my own life."

Thank you.I joined because I was so "inspired" when I was little by my sister, who was in high school playing clarinet as well. She hadn't told me about the bad part.

*sigh sigh sigh*

Thanks everyone.

What exactly should I tell my mother? She always says, "There's no point in discussing this. Now go."

:[
Well, I actually suggest staying in band. Studies prove that people who were in band got higher ACT scores than those who weren't.

And if you try to start liking it and think about the positives, it could get better for you.

A bit off topic: I play the clarinet too. :huh:

About halfway through my 8th grade year I got sick of the band teacher and being in band. He never let me play the instruments I wanted(I was in percussion) and he would always stick me on drumset. I can't play drumset to save my life.

Finally one day I got so fed up that I just laid in the back row of the class playing with my sticks. I did that the rest of the year. I just didn't participate. Sure I failed the class, but it got me out of doing it.

I don't recommend doing what I did, but if I were in your shoes, it's what I did, and what I would do again. x.x' I'm also a bad influence.

Maybe in dealing with your parents, whenever they tell you to practice or take you to lessons, show no enthsiasm whatsoever. Maybe even tell the teacher you don't want to do this anymore. He/she might be able to talk to your parents and tell them you don't think it's the right thing for you. I would recommend talking to your teacher about it.

You shouldn't have to do something you don't want to. It's your life to live. Not your parents.

I personally hate when parents try to live out what they want or never accomplished through their kids.

I play clarinet in band and it's really starting to get on my nerves.Going to lessons every week, annoying reharsels in the afternoons, practicing day by day, UGH!

I can't take it any more!! >.<

I asked my mom, "Can I quit? PLEASE?!" and she said I have to play until I GRADUATE! :eek: 6 MORE YEARS?!

Today at rehearsal my cork on one of my instrument pieces came off, and when the teacher was talking plop! It fell apart! Now I can't play until the teacher fixes it! :eek:

Just sitting there listening to all the noise made me think that I'm a geek! I just don't feel comfortable in band.. :eek:

If I wasn't so stupid in 4th grade to try out for clarinet I wouldn't have had to go through this! ><

Someone, please, give me advice, I've tried everything with my parents and the answer is no! :huh:

I try my best at playing and I get good grades and all but I just all together hate it..

No offence to anyone in band, of course.
I'm going through the same thing you are except that I play flute.

Just hang in there 'till the end of the year, I suggest. Then, next year, go into, like music or something. (that's what I'm going to TRY to do this year.)

.:Ciara:.

Wow sounds like me except I don't want to do tumbling, that's where they teach you how to do round off back hand springs and stuff, and I know how to anyways and I ask my parents and they say as long as i am a cheerleader i have to take tumbling.

About halfway through my 8th grade year I got sick of the band teacher and being in band. He never let me play the instruments I wanted(I was in percussion) and he would always stick me on drumset. I can't play drumset to save my life.
Finally one day I got so fed up that I just laid in the back row of the class playing with my sticks. I did that the rest of the year. I just didn't participate. Sure I failed the class, but it got me out of doing it.

I don't recommend doing what I did, but if I were in your shoes, it's what I did, and what I would do again. x.x' I'm also a bad influence.

Maybe in dealing with your parents, whenever they tell you to practice or take you to lessons, show no enthsiasm whatsoever. Maybe even tell the teacher you don't want to do this anymore. He/she might be able to talk to your parents and tell them you don't think it's the right thing for you. I would recommend talking to your teacher about it.

You shouldn't have to do something you don't want to. It's your life to live. Not your parents.

I personally hate when parents try to live out what they want or never accomplished through their kids.
Wow! I did that same thing during piano. I forced myself to mess up, simply cause I hated it. I didn't want to do it! Of course my piano teacher talked to my mom and stuff, but I still don't like it. And I'm still doing it!

Yeah, the only reason my mom's making me play is because, "She always wanted to when she was younger and I'll be thanking her in like 10 years." How about never?! Thank her for making me do something I really hate? Fine.

And she says, "No one else in your grade can play." Really? I can name 10.

I also showed her this thing in Woman magazine or something I can't remember, and it said in big bold words, "Kids should be able to chose the instruments that they want to play." And she said, "No! That's not true!"

IN WHAT WAY IS THAT NOT TRUE?!

That's why I've been secretly teaching myself how to play guitar when she's not home.

-bamcr-

Wow! I did that same thing during piano. I forced myself to mess up, simply cause I hated it. I didn't want to do it! Of course my piano teacher talked to my mom and stuff, but I still don't like it. And I'm still doing it!
Yeah, the only reason my mom's making me play is because, "She always wanted to when she was younger and I'll be thanking her in like 10 years." How about never?! Thank her for making me do something I really hate? Fine.

And she says, "No one else in your grade can play." Really? I can name 10.

I also showed her this thing in Woman magazine or something I can't remember, and it said in big bold words, "Kids should be able to chose the instruments that they want to play." And she said, "No! That's not true!"

IN WHAT WAY IS THAT NOT TRUE?!

That's why I've been secretly teaching myself how to play guitar when she's not home.

-bamcr-
That's how my mom and grandpa were with bagpipes, though mom eventually let me quit. I just stopped playing them. Grandpa told me to play and I told him to back off. I told both of them I didn't want to do it and I refused to. Mom attempted to punish me but I didn't listen heh. It's not her life. Sure, I'm her kid, but she can't control everything I do. I'm not her little puppet and I never will be.

No kid should ever have to fulfill their parents lives just because they couldn't do it themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've played instruments before and i didn't like it but now i'm trying the guitar and i'm sure i'll like it...... it sounds fun so yeh.....

all i can say is have a bit more of a go at it(don't quit yet)and try your hardest to get the notes and all that jazz.... at one point i had the nickname Lisa Simpson lol i play the sax and didn't like that so then flute now guitar..... so yeh i just give up a lot but tell your parents how you feel and maybe try out other instruments good luck and hope this helped even the tinyiest bit

!

Wow thats pretty harsh. They CANT MAKE YOU DO STUFF THEY DIDNT DO IN THEIR CHILDHOOD! My mum wanted me to be a young lady (Not swearing, makeup {UGH!} ) But she never forced me to do it. So I got the easy life. But your parents should be ASHAMED TO FORCE YOU INTO SOMETHING THEY COULDNT DO! the only thing they dont let me do it swearing (Except for cr*p, thats fine). Tell them this:

"Why are you MAKING me do stuff I dont wanna do? You should be ashamed of yourself for making your own child do something you couldnt do in your childhood! SO WHY MAKE ME DO IT?" and then just run into your room and fake cry. then she will think about it and your problem MIGHT be solved! :huh:

~SG~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back