Aubrey Hepburn's Zoo

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubrey Hepburn

Reaction score
I was feeding my reptiles and amphibians a batch of over 100 crickets tonight, and I decided to take some photos. Some of them came out really nicely, which is pretty amazing considering my photography skills and the difficulty involved in photographing uncooperative reptiles. :D I hope you guys like them! :D

Flash the Yellow Ratsnake

*I love this photo, I took it on the first try right before he tried to bite the camera. He is approx. 5 feet long and rather aggressive. He was shedding his skin at the the time of the photo.

VERY chubby American Toad

*I've seen a lot of toads, but never one quite this fat. You can pick him up and he doesn't even care to move. :huh: Too funny.

Pearl the Baby Ornate Box Turtle

*My Mom found this little guy newly hatched in my backyard flipped over on his back. He just hatched in the wild this summer, and he was apparrently born with a neurologic condition where he doesn't use his back legs well, and sometimes doesn't use them at all. He will never be able to survive in the wild because of this. He has improved in my care, though, and eats a LOT for such a little guy! Extremely cute. :D

Queenie the survivor

*I found this adult female Ornate Box Turtle(Kansas State Reptile!) on a gravel road this past spring. You can't see it well in the photo, but she has a 3 inch long gash in the top of her shell that almost went through into her body cavity...within a fraction of an inch. :( She was very sick, but over the months here she has improved so much. She has the biggest, brightest personality(yes, turtles have personality) I've ever seen in her species. She even comes to her name! I really enjoy having her here, and she seems to enjoy it too.

Rescued Garter Snake

*I watched him being run over by a 4-wheeler, and by the time I got to him in the road, he was unresponsive and bleeding from the mouth. I carried him all the way home, though I thought he was dead, so I could identify his subspecies. After 25 minutes, he started twitching and coming back to life! I kept him in a "snake ICU" for months, and he threw up blood for a very long time. Finally, he started getting better, eating small meals, and now he is as healthy as any snake could be!

Smokey Jungle Frog

*This is the largest species of frog in South America, second only to the Goliath Frog of Cameroon, Africa(which I also have) in size. This is a very rare species to keep in captivity, not many zoos have them either. I have searched for one for years and I REALLY enjoy keeping this frog. It's big, going to get huge, and it is quite beautiful for a frog.

Sophie the Bullsnake

*My Bullsnake Sophie. She is about 4 1/2 feet long now and a little thin. She is eating lots of mice now and is gaining weight quickly. She will likely grow to be 8-9 feet long. *-* The reason I am wearing gloves in the picture is because she likes to bite sometimes.

Tom the Trans-Pecos Ratsnake

*This is a very special snake. He is so gentle, he has never threatened to bite me in 3 years. I've had him since he was little, and I've taken him all sorts of places for class presentations and educational talks. Trans-Pecos Ratsnakes come from a very small area in Texas, and they are extremely sought-after as pets and breeding animals. He was given to me as a surprise birthday gift by some friends/vendors at a reptile show, because I wanted him at every show I attended over several months but could never afford him. He is one very few snakes I've ever known who genuinely enjoys attention. ;)

Mister the California Kingsnake

*I've had this guy for over 3 years as well. Some days he is really well-behaved, some days he likes to bite...hence the gloves again. :D He was not behaving well during this photo session, apparrently thinking it was funny to crawl up toward my face and out of focus of the lens. I think this picture is cute.

Wow, Aubery have you ever thought of working in a zoo? LOL, thoughs reptiles are cuties!

Nee nee! ^^ Thats so cute! So many reptiles. I love the snakes! Especially the last one (as SK said, he looks so curious!).

*Tgd*

The chubby toad is quite fat,and the last one looks curious.It's like, "Hey!Why are you taking pictures of me?!Let me see the camera!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you guys like the pics of the "creepy creatures"! :unsure: I would love to work in something like an educational program at a zoo or something similar. Hands-on animal education is what I love most, and is what I am going to do with my life.

Being bitten by a snake isn't fun in any situation, but which type of snake you are bitten by dictates how badly it actually hurts. Some snakes, like my California Kingsnake, eat smaller prey items such as mice and other snakes in the wild, therefore, their teeth aren't very long in proportion to their body size. Not a lot of bite pressure either, so it usually just scratches you up and you bleed a bit. To be bitten by my Bullsnake is a completely different story. They have long teeth because they grow to be very large and they eat larger prey items. They also have rather big heads for their body size, and a LOT of bite pressure! :(

The worst bite I've ever gotten from a snake was from a 3 1/2 feet long Rosy Boa. He wasn't very big, but he was a Boa Constrictor species and had a powerful bite! I was just holding him one day and he suddenly decided to chomp my pinky finger. He wrapped his mouth around my whole finger so I couldn't remove him, and THEN he coiled up around my hand covering his head, still attatched to my finger, and just stayed there crushing my hand! After several minutes he let go, but not before leaving a tooth in my finger. <_<

Though you occasionally get bitten when you work with exotics, it really is worth it. I love these kinds of animals for the wild creatures that they are. :(

The more I look at the picture of Mister the Kingsnake...it really is pretty funny! :( He does look like he is thinking "Hey, what is that?! Let me see it!...Can I eat it?" :(

I'm glad you guys like the pics of the "creepy creatures"! :) I would love to work in something like an educational program at a zoo or something similar. Hands-on animal education is what I love most, and is what I am going to do with my life.
Being bitten by a snake isn't fun in any situation, but which type of snake you are bitten by dictates how badly it actually hurts. Some snakes, like my California Kingsnake, eat smaller prey items such as mice and other snakes in the wild, therefore, their teeth aren't very long in proportion to their body size. Not a lot of bite pressure either, so it usually just scratches you up and you bleed a bit. To be bitten by my Bullsnake is a completely different story. They have long teeth because they grow to be very large and they eat larger prey items. They also have rather big heads for their body size, and a LOT of bite pressure! :hitodetchi:

The worst bite I've ever gotten from a snake was from a 3 1/2 feet long Rosy Boa. He wasn't very big, but he was a Boa Constrictor species and had a powerful bite! I was just holding him one day and he suddenly decided to chomp my pinky finger. He wrapped his mouth around my whole finger so I couldn't remove him, and THEN he coiled up around my hand covering his head, still attatched to my finger, and just stayed there crushing my hand! After several minutes he let go, but not before leaving a tooth in my finger. :huh:

Though you occasionally get bitten when you work with exotics, it really is worth it. I love these kinds of animals for the wild creatures that they are. :D

The more I look at the picture of Mister the Kingsnake...it really is pretty funny! :mametchi: He does look like he is thinking "Hey, what is that?! Let me see it!...Can I eat it?" :mimitchi:
I love snakes ^.^ I think they're adorable. I'd like to someday have one but I'm terrified of being bit by one o.o' I don't even like being bit by my parakeet, and those are just tiny(but hard) pinches. I also don't think I'd ever be able to feed them mice x.X

It almost looks like he's going to jump out of the screen X3

I love all of the pictures they are so cute! :D

:huh: ~*Emily*~ :)

I luff that last picture. x3

I would absolutely luff to own a snake. I'd name it Skippy. x3

I was feeding my reptiles and amphibians a batch of over 100 crickets tonight, and I decided to take some photos. Some of them came out really nicely, which is pretty amazing considering my photography skills and the difficulty involved in photographing uncooperative reptiles. :mimitchi: I hope you guys like them! :)

Flash the Yellow Ratsnake

*I love this photo, I took it on the first try right before he tried to bite the camera. He is approx. 5 feet long and rather aggressive. He was shedding his skin at the the time of the photo.

VERY chubby American Toad

*I've seen a lot of toads, but never one quite this fat. You can pick him up and he doesn't even care to move. :huh: Too funny.

Pearl the Baby Ornate Box Turtle

*My Mom found this little guy newly hatched in my backyard flipped over on his back. He just hatched in the wild this summer, and he was apparrently born with a neurologic condition where he doesn't use his back legs well, and sometimes doesn't use them at all. He will never be able to survive in the wild because of this. He has improved in my care, though, and eats a LOT for such a little guy! Extremely cute. :D

Queenie the survivor

*I found this adult female Ornate Box Turtle(Kansas State Reptile!) on a gravel road this past spring. You can't see it well in the photo, but she has a 3 inch long gash in the top of her shell that almost went through into her body cavity...within a fraction of an inch. :mametchi: She was very sick, but over the months here she has improved so much. She has the biggest, brightest personality(yes, turtles have personality) I've ever seen in her species. She even comes to her name! I really enjoy having her here, and she seems to enjoy it too.

Rescued Garter Snake

*I watched him being run over by a 4-wheeler, and by the time I got to him in the road, he was unresponsive and bleeding from the mouth. I carried him all the way home, though I thought he was dead, so I could identify his subspecies. After 25 minutes, he started twitching and coming back to life! I kept him in a "snake ICU" for months, and he threw up blood for a very long time. Finally, he started getting better, eating small meals, and now he is as healthy as any snake could be!

Smokey Jungle Frog

*This is the largest species of frog in South America, second only to the Goliath Frog of Cameroon, Africa(which I also have) in size. This is a very rare species to keep in captivity, not many zoos have them either. I have searched for one for years and I REALLY enjoy keeping this frog. It's big, going to get huge, and it is quite beautiful for a frog.

Sophie the Bullsnake

*My Bullsnake Sophie. She is about 4 1/2 feet long now and a little thin. She is eating lots of mice now and is gaining weight quickly. She will likely grow to be 8-9 feet long. *-* The reason I am wearing gloves in the picture is because she likes to bite sometimes.

Tom the Trans-Pecos Ratsnake

*This is a very special snake. He is so gentle, he has never threatened to bite me in 3 years. I've had him since he was little, and I've taken him all sorts of places for class presentations and educational talks. Trans-Pecos Ratsnakes come from a very small area in Texas, and they are extremely sought-after as pets and breeding animals. He was given to me as a surprise birthday gift by some friends/vendors at a reptile show, because I wanted him at every show I attended over several months but could never afford him. He is one very few snakes I've ever known who genuinely enjoys attention. :hitodetchi:

Mister the California Kingsnake

*I've had this guy for over 3 years as well. Some days he is really well-behaved, some days he likes to bite...hence the gloves again. :( He was not behaving well during this photo session, apparrently thinking it was funny to crawl up toward my face and out of focus of the lens. I think this picture is cute.
Wow! I think it is amazing you saved all those animals! They are your pets I am to understand?

You must be very talented with animals, I myself am quiet talented with animals. When I grow up I hope to be an animal educator of some sort, like an enviromentalist or such. Animals are my strong points.

Was it hard taking those pictures? With the snake threatening to strike at any given moment, I would get pretty shaken up! I look up to you for save the turtle and snake, it was very courageous.

those r pretty neat pics^^i want another pet>.<all i have is a hamster,i want a dog,cat fish,froggy,and maybe a snake,oh and maybe a lizard,i wanna be a vet or um...i wanna save endangered animals and all that^^

the last one is cute ^^

The only exotic..ish animal i've ever had was a tarantula...they are so cute!

I had an iguana last year but i had to give it away since i moved i couldnt have weird pets in the house o_O

Believe it or not, the hardest animals to photograph were Mister the Kingsnake and Queenie the Turtle. Mister because...well...you can see why it was hard to photograph him. Queenie is tough because she never wants to hold still for a shot!! She loves to come out of her cage and stomp around, and this time she was chasing the zoom lens. She seems to think she can eat everything. :p

Flash was being defensive and ready to strike, but he was holding his position, so he was actually fairly easy. He is aggressive, but predictable. :) I was terrified that the Smokey Jungle Frog would leap off of my hand and away into the house somewhere. I REALLY don't want to lose that frog. :D

These guys have become my pets. Some animals I only keep for a short while until they are well enough and able to survive in the wild. Then, they are released. Queenie will always be here, because her shell will never heal completely, and would crack apart under any considerable pressure. Pearl will stay, too, because he will never gain full function of his back legs. The Garter snake is yet to be decided. He is really nice to have around, and is thriving in captivity, so we shall see. He has such an unusually calm personality for his species that he may be an edu. animal.

About saving them...it's just something I couldn't have forced myself not to do. :furawatchi: I have a lot of compassion for other living things, and especially those which are in trouble. I feel like it's something I'm supposed to do, you know?

For anyone who wants to get a snake...if you can keep them properly I definitely encourage it. Some species make far better pets than you may think! A Corn Snake is one of the best choices for a first snake. I don't have one right now but most of them are very docile, medium sized, easy to keep, and come in nearly every color you can come up with. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back