Chat speak on tamatalk forums + Random pms

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like/agree chat speak/random pms and random friend requests/over-use of smilies?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What?

• Yes, it's much easier.

• It annoys me.

• Yes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaAngelV3

Reaction score
Chat Speak and 1337

Ok, everyday when I come on here, I see loads of people use chat speak, it's okay for in chats, but on forums? When I say chat speak, I mean things like, "u kewl 1'm f1n3?" or "v4 is da bom yessss, i wana v4".

I also see "1337" (leet I beleive) every now and then. 1337 is always considered spamming, and is seriously annoying, try to restrain from using 1337 if you do use it in chats.

Overuse of Smilies

I also see loads of smilies in alot of people's posts, I mean 1-3 smilies is okay, but 5? It annoys me, especially when people decide to post all of the smilies in one column,in one post, or that's all they post. Some people also add 5 or 6, or even 7 after their text, before their text, and/or between their text.

My opinion, based on other opinions from other forums

Some of this I beleive is spamming, and I understand that most newbies use this, However it annoys alot of people on forums. If you are going to say something, type it carefully, and take time. It's okay for a few typos, but if you purposly make them, it causes problems. A lot of people that do this are sometimes called 'n00bs'. If you take the time to type something carefully, you'll be sure to get a few more replies. It's clearer for people to read.

*Note: Not only newbies do this, others as well. Please do not think I am blaming anything on the newbies.*

Random PMS and Random Friend Requests

Some people that are new want friends, however randomly PMing a random person is not a good way, neither is randomly picking out people and sending them friend requests. Maybe asking them things about their avatar, tamagotchis, their signiture, or something you already noy about them by prehaps looking at their profile, would be better, eh?

*Note: Not all people agree with this, some people don't mind/like Random Friend requests and Random PMs*

LOL (the famous phrase)

LOL is also ok, but when you put it like this, "lololololololololololol" it becomes annoying and can be considered SPAM

The Question

Why do you think people do this?

((Edited: I have had to many complaints about one of the examples, I have changed it, and have also seperated the columns.))

Last edited by a moderator:
:blink: I see where your coming from and yes it is spam but it is simply ok too put

"I'm fine how r u?"

Because at least people dont miss spell or chat speak like this

"1'm fin3 H0w R u"

Cause it does get confussing.

So if you understand what I mean?

Also I exspect this topic getting closed SPAM.

And as for the smilies they do get annoying but they are showing peoples feelings.

I hope you understand :)

-RS

the "I am fine how r u" is technically still chatspeak, but it isn't as annoying, so I see your point there, I just put the first thing that popped into my head, and how is my topic spam? Oh, the smiley thing, I meant like over use of them.

the "I am fine how r u" is technically still chatspeak, but it isn't as annoying, so I see your point there, I just put the first thing that popped into my head, and how is my topic spam? Oh, the smiley thing, I meant like over use of them.
Yes that is chat speak but it isnt annoying.

Ohh sorry I wasnt saying your topic was spam I am saying that there is already a topic about spam! And so you know what also spam is :blink:

Yes that is chat speak but it isnt annoying.
Ohh sorry I wasnt saying your topic was spam I am saying that there is already a topic about spam! And so you know what also spam is :blink:
Yeah I know, but that's just about spam, this is my opinion about that topic, and I also added on to it a bit. But, yeah, sorry, I thought you said it (as in the topic) was spam so I got confused again, sorry about that.

And the smilies is quite annoying but most people who are new does that so lets not blame them!

Edit: No dont worry! Your topic isnt spam! I just have seen loads of topics like these that get closed! If it does you could stick it in your signature so its like a rule!

And the smilies is quite annoying but most people who are new does that so lets not blame them!
Edit: No dont worry! Your topic isnt spam! I just have seen loads of topics like these that get closed! If it does you could stick it in your signature so its like a rule!
That's what I plan on doing ^__^

I don't blame the newbies entirely for it, I just wanted to tell them and anyone else who does this that it get's really annoying on forums.

:) I see where your coming from and yes it is spam but it is simply ok too put
"I'm fine how r u?"

Because at least people dont miss spell or chat speak like this

"1'm fin3 H0w R u"

Cause it does get confussing.

So if you understand what I mean?

Also I exspect this topic getting closed SPAM.

And as for the smilies they do get annoying but they are showing peoples feelings.

I hope you understand :D

-RS
I agree. 'Hi! How r u today?' Is fine but 'hI. ow r ya toda?' Is kind of obnoxious.

Chat speek and random pms/freind requests are quite annoying. Also having 1-3 smilies is alright but 4 or more is obnoxious too.

But thats only my opinion :) !

I agree with you. I hate any form of chat speak. It makes people look lazy and as if they don't care at all about grammar. In the end, it makes them look stupid and it's a pain to read.

It's not THAT difficult to type out full words.

Well... very new people often use this form of speaking mainly because they don't know any better. I know I did when I was a new person... and I was really upset when people didn't even bother to explain why they didn't reply.

I say if somebody PMs you using chatspeak, no matter how annoying, you should reply.

On the subject; Yes, I do find chat speak and 1337 fairly annoying. I don't mind it in chat rooms seeing as there is a time limit before the subject is pushed too far away in the text, and it is also just easier that way. But on forums it shows laziness.

Well... very new people often use this form of speaking mainly because they don't know any better. I know I did when I was a new person... and I was really upset when people didn't even bother to explain why they didn't reply.
I say if somebody PMs you using chatspeak, no matter how annoying, you should reply.

On the subject; Yes, I do find chat speak and 1337 fairly annoying. I don't mind it in chat rooms seeing as there is a time limit before the subject is pushed too far away in the text, and it is also just easier that way. But on forums it shows laziness.
Yeah, you should atleast have the courtisy (probably spelt worng) to pm them back, but on random PMs and requests, I usually don't,just because it takes up space in my inbox..

It's fine, if they aren't using chatspeak in a spammy way :p . Here is a good way to use it "Lol, i ttly agree! That is a great idea! lol" but this is a not good way to use it "Lol, i am DA BOM! Listen to me, me ur ruler. me smart and me cool ya baby" that is a bad way to use it :p . Some people prefer typing with fully used words, no chatspeak. However, some people tend to use chat speak. Most people use chatspeak on Instant Messanger, such as AIM and MSN :) .

//TamaPATCHI

Chatspeak is okay sometimes. "lol i am fine thnk u" is ok while "l0l i r fine thnk u!!!" is just stupid. Overuse of smilies, "lol u are so funny :D :huh: :p B) :p " isn't the most fun thing to deal with either.

Now, random PMs to be friends, is by far the most ANNOYING thing that ever happens to me on TT. "lol b mi frend :p B) :) :) :) " gets so annoying. D:

Chatspeak is okay sometimes. "lol i am fine thnk u" is ok while "l0l i r fine thnk u!!!" is just stupid. Overuse of smilies, "lol u are so funny :huh: :p B) :p :p " isn't the most fun thing to deal with either.
Now, random PMs to be friends, is by far the most ANNOYING thing that ever happens to me on TT. "lol b mi frend B) :) :) :) :)" gets so annoying. D:
No, I think thats ok.

Most of friends were made by doing that. They wanted to be friends and sent a PM. Simple. :D

Chat Speak

OK, I call this text talk, but anyway, yes this can be very annoying! :angry: As Sweet Kandi stated, it's not very difficult to type out a word! Why type "u" and look lazy, when you can spend 1 second extra typing out "you", and looking fine! What would you prefer? ;) Things like "lol" are fine, though! ^_^

Overuse of smilies

Yet again, in full agreement- people just put random smilies quite alot! :D I really only use the smilies that express what kind of mood I'm in, while thinking about the information I'm posting! :blink: Alot of people type their message, take a new line, and post something like:

:p :p :ph34r: :D :D :lol: <----- lovin da smilies!

That's annoying! -_-

Random PMs

This is usually the case of a lonely member, so I don't agree with you on this one. If it just says "Hi, how are you?", they probarly just want to be friends, so always ask members who send you a PM like this "Want to be friends?", after politly introducing yourself! :D

Update: due to a couple of complaints, I have updated the first so I can try and put it alot more opinions, thankyou Rey Mysterio, you pretty much summed up all of the complaints everyone made and made it a bit easier to edit it!

So you see the difference it makes:

i dont thnk its fin3 2 typ like dis it makes u look uneducated & imature. im having a hard tim3 tYping lik dis, 2 m3 tis is much mor harder. some pe0ple might pass ur psts by becuse thy cant read ur posts 0r just dont want 2. if u want pe0ples respect, then try and learn 2 typ out ur words!!!!1111!!!!111!!!111! ;) :angry: :) :) :) :) ;) :D :D

Translation:

I don't think its fine to type like this, it makes you look uneducated and imature. I'm having a hard time typing like this, to me this is much more hard to do. Some people might pass your posts by because they can't read your posts or they just don't want to be bothered to. If you want people to respect you then try to type out your words! :D

Ok I think I've made my point that chatspeak is really annoying to see on a forum, its ok for a chatroom, just not a forum.

On Random Pm:

I really don't like getting those they are just a waste of my time, which is why I request in my profile not to Pm me for nothing, though some still insist on doing it anyway.

I sometimes chat speak because I forget I not in a chat room with my friends. But I'm trying to use good grammar.

Yes, I do agree that chat speak is annoying but only when people over do it and for some people don't understand those abbreviations(such as lol).

For random PMs, I never had one but if I did it would be annoying.

The overuse of smilies sometimes annoy me and I bet it annoys a lot of other people too.

Anime_fan1

So you see the difference it makes:
i dont thnk its fin3 2 typ like dis it makes u look uneducated & imature. im having a hard tim3 tYping lik dis, 2 m3 tis is much mor harder. some pe0ple might pass ur psts by becuse thy cant read ur posts 0r just dont want 2. if u want pe0ples respect, then try and learn 2 typ out ur words!!!!1111!!!!111!!!111! :eek: :( :) ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Translation:

I don't think its fine to type like this, it makes you look uneducated and imature. I'm having a hard time typing like this, to me this is much more hard to do. Some people might pass your posts by because they can't read your posts or they just don't want to be bothered to. If you want people to respect you then try to type out your words! :D

Ok I think I've made my point that chatspeak is really annoying to see on a forum, its ok for a chatroom, just not a forum.

On Random Pm:

I really don't like getting those they are just a waste of my time, which is why I request in my profile not to Pm me for nothing, though some still insist on doing it anyway.
Yeah, it's hard for me to type like that as well, and I know what you mean about the random requests and pms, I did an expirament (sorry if that is mispelled) and for 2 weeks had "Do not send Random PMs or Requests to me." in my profile, then I took it off. I found that there isn't really a difference if you have it up or not, I think the stats were:

With it on profile for 2 weeks, I got 1 or 2 requests per day

With it off, I got 2 or 3 per day

I did that by finding the mode of the results, whcih means, for everyone that doesn't know, I found out which number(s) of requests occured most often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back