Good Grammar Campaign

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tama_grl

Reaction score
OK

Here is a petition so people actually speak PROPERLY!

Sometimes is ok but not so much that you cannot understand.

I don't mind people using "ur" and "ty", but after that it gets a little annoying. I do not like txt talk that much. I use it sometimes when I use my mobile, but that is it.

EDIT: Sorry. Accidently posted the topic too early. Its meant to say "A petition for too much text talk"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, some people might be in a hurry to type in what they want to say so theytype in txt talk. It is easier to type in and you can type more in the same amount of time as it would take you to write a short bit out properly.

I am not at all fond of "txt tlk" but I don't really think there is anything to do you can stop it. It's kind of like telling someone with a funny accent to stop talking. People will ALWAYS type with "txt tlk" as long as the internet exists. If people write indecipherable messages in txt tlk, then they just won't be able to be answered, and perhaps then they'll change their ways, or at least write in more legible "txt tlk." As much as I'd love for the citizens of the internet to always use good grammar, it's a bit of a quixotic wish.

Yes, I also have an aversion to the so-called "txt-talk". But I honestly don't think there's any way to stop people from doing it. I only do it when I'm IM'ing, and even then, I wish I could use proper grammar without being laughed at. I'm a writer, too, so I practice using proper grammar frequently. It's just too pesky to write (or read) a book in text talk. So I think we should just let the people who use it use it and just keep quiet about it.

I don't mind but the use of a comma after every word is just annoying.

and the !33t (Translation: Leet) "Txt Talk" Is hard to read and hurts my eyes.

>________>

1 Hte ppl hu typ lyk dat. itz 4noy1n. and i hte tryn 2 r34d 1t

xB

I hate people who type like that. It's annoying, and i hate trying to read it.

>________>1 Hte ppl hu typ lyk dat. itz 4noy1n. and i hte tryn 2 r34d 1t

xB

I hate people who type like that. It's annoying, and i hate trying to read it.
0 R1y? 1 |)15546R33 Wh013-h34r73d1y. 1337 15 4 \/\/0n1)3rfu1 \/\/41 70 (0mmu|\|1(473.

:)

0 R1y? 1 |)15546R33 Wh013-h34r73d1y. 1337 15 4 \/\/0n1)3rfu1 \/\/41 70 (0mmu|\|1(473.
:)
x____x

0 90|) |)4+ +00|< 4 \/\/|-|1|_3 2 |235|)

i actually dont agree with this petition! ;) one time my hand was having a mager spasm and i cudnt type alot! so actually txt talk is okay. but people should still think about good grammar! :huh:

I think we need to be a little more specific here. Using talk text or l33t does not inhibit my ability to write a logical, mature and well punctuated sentence. The difficulty that arises is the ability of other users to interpret the words in their correct, unaltered form. It is pehaps, the Western world's version of Kanji. That is, the use of smaller symbols or groups of characters to indicate a larger word. However, many of us don't appear to be too appreciative of our simplification, mostly likely because it is not well uniformed or studied.

Qu!+3 phr@n|<1y, 1 d0n'+ <@r3 1f 73h 53n+3n<3 15 wr!++3n 1n 733+. IAY on'tday enevay arecay ifay itay isay rittenway inay igpay atinlay! However, I do care if the post that I am reading consists entirely of three words and doesn't really have any great contribution to the topic at hand. I also believe that if people are going to write in plain English, they should at least bother with capital letters, full stops and commas where required. Getting the correct word for the meaning would also be nice. "I no there is one" v. "I know there is one".

I don't expect that everyone writes everything perfectly. Heck, there are probably a number of mistakes in what I have written already however, a little effort and pride in one's posts can make a huge impression and collectively will determine the quality of a forum.

:D
Say what? o_O

I think we need to be a little more specific here.  Using talk text or l33t does not inhibit my ability to write a logical, mature and well punctuated sentence.  The difficulty that arises is the ability of other users to interpret the words in their correct, unaltered form.  It is pehaps, the Western world's version of Kanji.  That is, the use of smaller symbols or groups of characters to indicate a larger word. However, many of us don't appear to be too appreciative of our simplification, mostly likely because it is not well uniformed or studied.
Qu!+3 phr@n|<1y, 1 d0n'+ <@r3 1f 73h 53n+3n<3 15 wr!++3n 1n 733+. IAY on'tday enevay arecay ifay itay isay rittenway inay igpay atinlay!  However, I do care if the post that I am reading consists entirely of three words and doesn't really have any great contribution to the topic at hand.  I also believe that if people are going to write in plain English, they should at least bother with capital letters, full stops and commas where required.  Getting the correct word for the meaning would also be nice.  "I no there is one" v. "I know there is one". 

I don't expect that everyone writes everything perfectly.  Heck, there are probably a number of mistakes in what I have written already however, a little effort and pride in one's posts can make a huge impression and collectively will determine the quality of a forum.
Difficulty in interpreting l337 is only increased because everyone has a unique style.

+h1s 15 |337, b|_|+ +H3n 4641n,

50 15 +1-1|5. 7|-|15 |\/|33|\|Z 1nt312p12371n6 07|-|3125' 1337 |(4|\| 133 1|\|73123571||\|6 |3|_|7 (|-|4|_|_3|\|61|\|g.

However, as you said, you can form complete sentences using it. Not only that, but because you are forced to think about what you are reading (and what you are writing) as you interpret it (and write it), the meaning of the phrase comes out as you mull over what you are reading your head. It's like typing in bold, but better.

dis is hrd 2 red do lol adn looks lyk u r tryin 2 jos b00st ur potsst cont by typin lotsa porly typd mesages adn uzully thes mesagis ususlay cotanz an incoherint mesage. Although reading such messages also forces you to think about what you are reading, the WRITER doesn't have to think while typing it, so usually the message contained is not relevant or well thought out.

But when it call comes down to it, you can't stop people from typing in leet just 'cause they think it's cool, and you can't stop people who type in txt tlk just 'cause they are too lazy to fully type out messages.

Have you ever considered how "txt tlkers" feel when they speak to someone who types and speaks properly? They probably think that people who do so are pretty condescending.

You can't stop it, mostly because you can't make everyone happy.

Best you can do is learn to live with it.

may i ask what 1337 txt talk is? you guys lost me here!! ;) :p :angry:
leet or 'l33t' is the use of numbers instead of letters, and text-talk or 'txt tlk' is when you basically remove letters to speed up typing or to shorten sentances. I find both annoying. :(

I am not at all fond of "txt tlk" but I don't really think there is anything to do you can stop it. It's kind of like telling someone with a funny accent to stop talking. People will ALWAYS type with "txt tlk" as long as the internet exists. If people write indecipherable messages in txt tlk, then they just won't be able to be answered, and perhaps then they'll change their ways, or at least write in more legible "txt tlk." As much as I'd love for the citizens of the internet to always use good grammar, it's a bit of a quixotic wish.
I agree, it is kind of a big thing to ask people to not "txt tlk" its just kind of something they have to do on their own. But like y'all said, you cant ask me to stop talking, cause some people that speak like from california would say i have an accent, since i live in texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back