Tamagotchi Target Audience

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theola

Reaction score
I remember the original 1997 Tamagotchis being pretty gender neutral looking. There were lots of solid colors, or simple design patterns. The characters, while cute, didn't appear overly male or female to me.

Now, it's obvious that they're being marketed towards children, I think. But the new generation of Tamagotchis seems to be looked at as more of a "girl thing". They seem to emphasize going shopping, romancing with other Tamagotchis, etc. Many of the eggs designs seem different as well. There are more pastel colors, and flower patterns. The commercial seems to bemuch more focused more on girls; you can see it on www.tamagotchi.com.

To me, this is a bit disappointing. The idea of owning and caring for a pet is more universal than just young girls. I think Bandai isn't seeing the potential of this. This Japanese webpage for the new Tamago Chu seems to have a much different approach! Even if you can't read the text, the images are quite interesting.

So, what do you think? Are Tamagotchis being sold as more of a "girls only" kind of thing?

Yes, for sure, they're target marketing to 7-12 year old girls. But perhaps that's because that's where they have the most success. Maybe they could sell a few outside that market, but the effort required might not be worth the payback. Too bad. Do you know how some schools require students of a certain age to care for a "virtual baby doll" as a lesson in responsibility. It would be interesting if that same class could be adapted to fit Tamagotchis - making students bring their Tamagotchis to school every day and having their final mark partially dependant on how long their Tamagotchi lived for.

The advertisment I've seen on the television (I can't watch the one online) does look very girly, and they're very bright, female-wise. Also, at the end, it's pretty obvious it's all about the girls, hence two girls actually kissing a boy.

Tamagotchi's used to be a fair unisex all type game. Now, it looks like it's for children. There are a select few parents out there who have one, so it shows they don't really care, but a majority think it's a children's game and now want to actually sue BanDai™ for making the product - and some of those actual parents used to be players.

It's just sad, to be honest. :D

Hmm, yeah the new generation of tamas designs have always bothered me. They are primarily for girls. (2004 and on)

But yep, 7-12 year old girls is the target audience.

There are people of all ages and plenty of boys and men in to these things. All it takes is a curious or nurturing spirit and these things really have universal appeal. For some, the nerd in us takes over and likes to understand how it works, that is another appeal I find amongst mostly the people over 14 who are in to these things.

Personally I don't even know why I stick with them. There is a cuteness appeal for me. Then they are the only thing I have really collected since 1999 on a constant basis. I like to see what Bandai throws at us.

The advertisment I've seen on the television (I can't watch the one online) does look very girly, and they're very bright, female-wise. Also, at the end, it's pretty obvious it's all about the girls, hence two girls actually kissing a boy.
Yeah, that's the same advertisement as the one on their webpage, then. It's interesting to know others are seeing the trend too. At first, I thought it was just all in my head. I remember going into a video game store with my male friend last year, and being surprised that they had Tamagotchis for sale. I decided to buy one, and he seemed interested too. He had a few in middle school also. But after looking at the packaging, he decided against buying one. ;)

Yes, for sure, they're target marketing to 7-12 year old girls. But perhaps that's because that's where they have the most success. Maybe they could sell a few outside that market, but the effort required might not be worth the payback.
I'm hardly a business expert, so this idea didn't cross my mind. Sadly, it makes sense. Just stick with what works, and don't take any unnecessary risks. :lol:

Although the target audience has been said 7-12 year old girls, I think people of all ages/genders should feel no shame in playing with Tamagotchi. They're pets, after all! ;)

In Australia, there seem to be less flowery ones! Most of ours have been adapted from Entama.

Yes, about ages 7-12 is a target audience. It was more for girls, but I've seen more boys with v4 than girls.

Strangly enough I have thought before that tamagotchi does seem like a very girly toy nower days. It does seem to aim more at girls than boys. I have seen the advert on T.V. here in the U.K. and the girls are the only ones using it even when the boy comes in. The shopping and other things like that does aim it more at girls. Shopping doesn't really do it for me though. I like collecting the cute items more than the acttual shopping. It is most definately aimed at children but this is probably because it seems more like something a child want.

Although I think they do seem girly, I don't believe the 'romance' is just for girls it's just saying a male & a female tamagotchi can make a baby tamagotchi for you (Well thats my opinion). But looking at the webpage you showed the designs are very girly, but they should do boyish designs also because some girls like that kind of look too - so it would benefit boys & girls.

[SIZE=21pt]I agree, the new generation of tama's are way to focused on girls even though i like them ur statement makes complete sense. I think that something should be done about it and maybe we can do it if we have a reason.[/SIZE]

pm me

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Tamagotchis have became more geared to girls lately. It's hard to predict what will happen in the near future. In a few versions it might become a girly, cutesy toy with little human-like characters going shopping for purses and getting their hair done, or it might get back to normal with unisex looking characters and such.

I'm going to try to add a new topic in Seriously Tamagotchi, to give a new idea of what might happen.

I hope the Moderator accepts it!

:mellow: GozarutchiGuy :mellow:

*binary: this post has been merged from another topic*

I was thinking about the discussion of the Tamagotchi target audience. Since Tamagotchis are becoming more for girls, I think Bandai should do The Big Tamagotchi Split (as I call it). It's where Tamas become definitively boy/girl. Bandai could sell both types and attract more kids!

A Tamagotchi for girls could go overboard on the cutsie factor in characters, could have jobs and games that relate to girls more, and items at the shop could be geared for girls, etc.

A Tamagotchi for a boy could enhance the cool factor and decrease the cute factor for characters, make the jobs and games slightly harder and more interesting for boys, Items could be geared for boys, etc.

I think this would work, having Tamagotchis for boys and Tamagotchis for girls. If Bandai does go off the deep end ( as I see it ) and completely gears Tamagotchis for girls, boys everywhere will give up on Tamas.

I think this would be great in 2008 for V5s, celebrating five incredible versions!

:) GozarutchiGuy :gozarutchi:

In case you haven't noticed, there's been a new Polly Pocket T a m a g o t c h i toy announced in Japan called the Tamagotchi Restaurant. Click here to see Bandai's web page for it. It's in Japanese, but the pictures are what you need to see. Now, having seen that, there is no doubt about who the target market is. Can anyone picture an 11 year-old boy playing with that?

Yeah, I've noticed that. It's bothered me since 2004. I'm kind of over it now, but I really wish BanDai would at least make the commercials less "girly". As long as their is at least one or two "boyish" designs, I'm fine. But when I saw the V2 commercial, ugh. :) Tamas are virtual pets, can't boys enjoy them without thinking it's "girly"?

I actually e-mailed BanDai once and complained about it, and guess what? On BanDai's "Latest News" page, I read a page about Tamas and it said, "Tamagotchi Connection appeals to boys and girls of all ages!". It doesn't seem like they really believe that, but maybe they do... :D

-DDDTrooper :gozarutchi:

I hear on V4.5 it's possible they will now have a star instead of the usual circle on the anntenae-like-thing... :)

On other news, you're right that "resturant" is very girlish...

Only 4 boys in my school have Tamagotchis.

Me, my best friend, and my other best friend.

Also this other little young kid who really annoys me.

And I know about 30 different girls in my school, and about half of them have 3 v4s.

I had a v1 that got stolen,

A v2 who got sunk in water

A v3 which I left in Australia

And a v4 in my hand.

Oh and Binary,

I have a 11 year old brother right in the other room, I'll just call him.

I'll hand over the computer to him.

Hi and no, I will never play with that "Tamagotchi restaraunt

Yea they're definitely aiming tamagotchi towards girls age 7-12. It's unfortunate, because it discourages boys and/or older people from buying them.

Besides, if tamagotchi have features that girls would like more that boys, then, theoretically, wouldn't they not have to make advertisements targeting girls in general? Wouldn't they be interested in it anyway, regardless of commercial or package design? Then it might seem more acceptable to everyone, not just young girls. (the wording sounds weird to me, did that make sense?)

Fortunately, looking at the new v4.5 images I noticed there aren't quite as many 'girly' looking designs, like flowers or makeup. Maybe they're trying to broaden the target audience?

Even though it seems girly, they have a lot of characters boys might like (me is a boy) Kuchipatchi, Young Kuchipatchi, Gozuratchi (is that how me spells his name), Masktchi sorta, Uramametchi (seems more boy-friendly then Mametchi), Urakuchipatchi, and the black babys might be kinda boy-friendly too. Anyways, mostly all the female characters are mostly for girls while some of the boy characters a boy-friendly, and the rest of the Tamagotchi's might be both gender suitable. Me just wishes they would fix the commercials.

Hmm actually good point. when you said they were for girls age seven to twelve well ive seen like 15 yr olds have them

btw my brother is dying 4 a tama soo theres a boy who likes em!

byebye :furawatchi:

hmm actually i will interview my brother!

Me: Nate would you ever want a tamagotchi?

Nate: YEA! i want a v.4!

Me: Do you know alot of boys who like tamagotchis?

Nate: No, I know girls who do though.

well there ya have it so

bye!

The focus has certainly gravitated towards a more girlish market. The new Tamagotchi Restaurants really illustrate that. However, the v4s were released with both girlish and boyish patterns along with a few that could be considered neutral. I think the glow-in-the-dark zebra pattern appeals to both boys and girls, and the clear designs do as well. I can't remember all the colours and I don't have a colours chart in front of me now, but isn't there a red and black colour scheme? That one could appeal to males as well as females. I think the release of the v4s achieved a nice balance between models aimed at girls, models aimed at boys, and models that both genders could enjoy.

To tackle the other part of your question, they are definitely aimed at the younger crowd. Really though, doing so is justified. I'm 15, and I know that only one of my friends still likes tamas. My 10 year old brother likes them quite a bit, though. The 13-17 market isn't really an untapped resource - in fact, by marketing towards the older age group they will still fail to gain that market and they may lose some of the younger market. As long as the content doesn't change and the game mechanics stay mostly true to the original concept, people my age and up (and a little below) that enjoy tamas in the first place will still enjoy them regardless of the patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back