Help wit Hammie

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lil*kitty*kat

Reaction score
Well, two days ago,*MellyMilly* got a little panda bear hamster and it (we still don't know gender for sure) is so adorable!!! It's name is Hammie and we ♥ him. But he is way too hyper! XD

Anyways, we could use some help like with some food and toys and stuff that we might need to know to keep him healthy (bla bla bla). I'll post a piccy of him (I just call it a he for now)later.

We fed him some apples and he's storing one in his cheek. (LOL so funny)

So if anyone could post some helpful info or a helpful website, we'd really appreciate it! ^__^

~Dee

~Melly

I've been told that you're never supposed to use pine bedding as it will kill rodents. Sources disagree, but I think it would be safe to avoid it. I don't have much experience with rodents but I'm sure you'll be a great pet owner ^_^

I've been told that you're never supposed to use pine bedding as it will kill rodents. Sources disagree, but I think it would be safe to avoid it. I don't have much experience with rodents but I'm sure you'll be a great pet owner ^_^
Pine or Cedar. Never use either.

My hamster liked an assortment of nuts and fruits. I cleaned his cage once a week and played with him often. Water also needs to be changed often.

My hamster liked the toys that were beads inside a ball. It probably varies from hamster to hamster. Experiment! :lol:

thanks for the help if you have more information please post it

*mellymilly* lil*kitty*kat was playing with my hamie :( :p :( :kuribotchi:

Well, two days ago,*MellyMilly* got a little panda bear hamster and it (we still don't know gender for sure) is so adorable!!! It's name is Hammie and we ♥ him. But he is way too hyper! XDAnyways, we could use some help like with some food and toys and stuff that we might need to know to keep him healthy (bla bla bla). I'll post a piccy of him (I just call it a he for now)later.

We fed him some apples and he's storing one in his cheek. (LOL so funny)

So if anyone could post some helpful info or a helpful website, we'd really appreciate it! ^__^

~Dee

~Melly
What you will Need:

Cage(of Course ;D )

Wheel

Food

Bedding

Water Bottle and water

and a little house or those igloses(sp?)

What you could do :

Treats

Hay

Vitamins*

Seeds

Cotton Squares*

I have a Hamster too. His name is Mr.Squekers(spelling?) he's a black Bear hamster B) I had him for 2 years. and he's fat :p . my Sister has one too. His name is Mitten but I called him Mitty Squidy :D he's a Winter Hamster.

*These items won't harm their hamster. >w< any way where did you/your friend get the hamster? Petsmart ONLY sells male hamster and Petco sells Females + Males the Amish also sells hamsters( I don't know what state/ country your in but I live in NJ and they have a Amish in NJ.)

Here's a picture of my sister's hamster Mitty Squidy :

Mitten.jpg
and here's Mr.Squekers with Squidy:
MozartandMitten01.jpg
( mines the black one)

Hope I helped.

-RT

thanks for the help your hamsters are cute to mine has dots on it's back it looks like a dalmation kind of.lil*kitty*kat will post some pics later. :furawatchi:

I have had both hamsters and gerbils. I love pet rodents and know a lot about them. For food...give a basic seed mix and fruits and vegetables as treats. As cute as those igloos may look, they aren't safe. Anything plastic is dangerous, since hamsters love to chew and may ingest tiny pieces of the plastic they can't digest. A wooden house is much safer. Get a wheel, but not those open-slat kinds, they can catch the hamster's toes and hurt them. Wire mesh wheels are safe. Hamsters love crawling thorough and chewing toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, and empty cereal boxes. I have so much more to say, but I'm too tired now. xD You might want to join the Hamster Hideout forum, I've heard it's good. Forget the link now, but I'm sure you can easily Google it. :p

A great food mix for your hammie is Nutriphase basic Hamster & Gerbil diet. This is what I fed them when I worked at PetSmart, and they LOVED getting little slices of baby carrot every morning. Oh, and Cheerios. Everything loves Cheerios! :mellow: Carrots and Cheerios are great dietary enrichment items, and add a little variety to their daily life.

Most Hamster & Gerbil mixes are good for a basic diet, but try to buy the brand with the smallest amount of tiny bird seeds in it. Hamsters do not eat these seeds, so they are just a filler and provide no nutrition to your pet. They love the larger, black sunflower seeds and the crunchy biscuit-like chunks that you find in most diets, so look for the highest percentage of these things.

Also, keep a close eye on his bottom. I know it sounds funny, but Wet-Tail is easily the most common illness that hamsters can get. It is a stomach illness that gives them diarrhea. Usually, they get sick during shipping before they arrive at the pet store, and it is highly contagious to other rodents. It's not your fault if he gets sick, but you can help by checking his bottom every day. If you see any wetness in the fur around his bum, go immediately to the local PetSmart or Petco and ask them for Wet Tail medicine. There is a product called Dri-Tail that they sell at PetSmart that you can purchase to treat him with if he gets sick. Other stores probably have similar things, but since I used to work at PetSmart, I tend to use it for reference. :(

Clean it's cage once a week, ( if it starts to smell, you've waited to long!) Change it's water daily, play with it, when I had my hamster I changed the food every two days, try to avoid Wet-Tail, my hamster DIED from it. Hope it helps and good luck with Hammie! :mimitchi:

-Happyqueen :mimitchi:

You should get him some proper hamster food from the pet store. I wouldn't advise giving him apples as a proper food as that should be given for a little treat, when I had a hamster she used to love brocolli on christmas but it made her a little smelly :mimitchi: .

And sometimes if you use sawdust at the bottom of the cage it can irritate their eyes. One of my hamsters [i had 2, not at the same time though] and we had to take her to the vets because she had weeping eyes so we got cream. But that's not all hamsters though :mimitchi: .

When I had my hamster I used to change her everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back