Mouse Help Please !

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-lWeride

Reaction score
Okay, so I need help taming my pet mouse. Whenever I stick my hand in the cage she runs into the little nest I got her. EVEN WHEN I HAD FOOD! :mad:

Does anyone know how I am suppose to tame this crazy lunatic mouse! And don't say look on google. None of their things work.

(Oh, and I imagine that taming a mouse is like taming any other rodent.. So if you have a hamster, guinea pig, pet rat, ect please help if you have experience taming it)

First of all, don't scare it crap-less like you seem to be doing now. You need to take smaller steps then just reaching in and grabbing at it, or else you might give it a heart attack. Sit beside the cage, have small talk either with a friend or even to the mouse, let it be aware of you, let it see you. As time goes by the mouse will see you are NOT going to hurt it, and so when you stick your hand in, it might still initially be scared, but over time it will get used to the ordeal. Just work up to it.

First of all, don't scare it crap-less like you seem to be doing now. You need to take smaller steps then just reaching in and grabbing at it, or else you might give it a heart attack. Sit beside the cage, have small talk either with a friend or even to the mouse, let it be aware of you, let it see you. As time goes by the mouse will see you are NOT going to hurt it, and so when you stick your hand in, it might still initially be scared, but over time it will get used to the ordeal. Just work up to it.
K thnx !

yeh i have a hamster and i had the same problem i thought my hamster was probubly the scardest little thing on the planetwhat i did was put him in a little plastic box that he couldnt climbotr jump out of and i kept giving him food and petting him, im not sure but eventually i picked him up and let him run from hand to hand, it took a lot of practice but nw i can just pick him up and any time and hes all calm and nice

P.S it took a wile to actually pick him up and keep him on my hands for a wile so give it some time put him in the box every day

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to go slow. It'd be scary to see something twice as big as you were trying to grab at cha!

You have to let it get used to your scent. Wear and old shirt that you [and your parents] would be okay with cutting up to bed one night. Cut a bit of it off and stick it in the cage somewhere. I'm not sure if mice like to eat cloth so be careful so it doesn't. That could hurt it.

After you have that in for a day or a few days, slowly stick your hand in the cage for a few minutes but don't move it. Just sit there and be still. Keep doing that. Add some treats if you like.

If you go slow, your mouse will learn to trust you. ;D

The mousey is just not used to a gigantor coming in its cage and trying to pick it up! So like TWP and MT and DL10 said, let it become familiar with you and your scent first. <_<

Mice are VERY skittish critters. I had mice, rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs growing up and all though they are all in the rodent family, they all act differently in one way or another.

Mice are hard to "tame". They will always be skittish to some extent. But like the others said, take it slow and take your time. It will take a few weeks for your mouse to get used to you. Its mostly movement and smell that scare them, noise can too, but not so much. Cutting up a shirt is a really good idea (I never thought of that!) so I would suggest doing what she said about it, and the mouse will most likely chew on the shirt, but it shouldnt hurt it because, it is a mouse lol in the wild they chew through rubbermaid storage tubs in peoples sheds (like ours) and insulation with fiber glass and much worse things than a bit of shirt, so it should hurt it but if you notice it chewing on it, just slowly wave your hand where it can see it near the cage and it should get distracted and stop (who knows, maybe it will associate the smell of the clothing with the waving of the hand and it might help with the skittishness). But yeah, when reaching into the cage, just be verrrry slow, you can make little noises like whispering, or ticking noises like you would make for a cat but quieter, etc. that may sooth it a little bit.

Dont know what to tell you, when we got our mice, we got to hand pick them and we picked the most mellow ones in the cage so we never had problems with them really, the guineas we had were more skittish than our mice -shrugs-

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out!

Like everyone else has said, take it slow and give it time.

When I got my hamster, he wasn't really scared, he was climbing all over me by the time we got home, but I'm like that with animals... :-\

I make tutting noises whenever I want to play with him, and he comes out happily and sniffs me, then squeaks and I let him play.

Right this instant, I put a bit of my pajamas in here straw nest and she is pulling it out, ripping it, and turning it into a blanket! xD

Aww, it is so cute! I hope she gets use to my scent ..

In August I got 2 pet rats and they were the same way.

Everyone has had lots of great advice but I wanted to mention one more thing.

When I was trying to get them to come play with me I would bring lots of tiny pieces of fruit (the more fragrant the better) to give them as treats. At first I would stick a piece in the cage for them, then SLOWLY after many times I would make them take it from my hand in the cage, then move my hand to the door of the cage and then maybe a little outside the cage. Animals are strongly motivated by food (especially if it smells yummy) so use that to your advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back