Happy st.Patricks day!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

9liz9

Reaction score
do you celebrate st. patricks day by wearing green or something else

p.s. Happy St.Patricks Day!!

^ I dunno,I'm not British O-O"

Even if I'm not British,I wore a pair of black jeans and a green top today to "celebrate" ^^

Ahh I was just about to make a topic like this xDWhy do we celebrate St.Patricks Day anyway?
OMG.

Time to give a semi-lecture!~

-sings-

(Started at: 4:29 PM.)

This is actually a religious holiday, believe it or not. :3 I'm glad I studied this today..

St. Patrick himself, was originally a Roman, living in Britain who was captured by the Celts to be sold as a slave. He spent many months up in the mountains training his new master's sheep, and he starved for a large part of it. The only person he had to talk to was God, and eventaully God sent him a dream to go back to Britain. So he did, and he became a priest at some point. When he was forty years old, he began a quest to turn the Celts, who worshipped a series of gods, into Catholics. So, instead of blacking out the Celtic's religion, he blended the two. So, for instance, the Celts worshipped god by fire, so St. Patrick proposed that they have bonfires on Easter. Eventually, the Celts were entirely Catholic. When St. Patrick died, he was named a Saint, and he died on March. 17. Something-I-Forget AD.

So, they carried on happy for a while, when a plague hit, wiping out the entire potato crop. And alot of the Irish survived, practically, on potatoes. Thousands died of starvation. Then, some set out for The New World. Most who set out were middle-class, and of course, like all immigrants, landed in New York City and Boston. Back on the island of Ireland, the British invaded, and won. They banned St. Patrick's day, but the Irish kept on the tale via song. Then, they realized the power of this, and proclaimed all harpists and musicians be hung on the spot. Many more fled to America, but this time, they were the low-class, not so educated ones.

There were and are Irish groups, etc, who fund the parades in Chicago and New York. They were very strong in the "No Irish Need Apply" period, when stores and employers didn't want to hire the foreigners with a different accent or religion. The press had begun to report the St. Patrick's day parades and Irish as 'drunk monkeys'.

The Irish wouldn't accept that, not at all. They began to realize that their strength was in numbers, and at one point all the Irish groups went in one big St. Patrick's day parade.

The Prince of Whales or England, which one, has escaped me, went on a tour, through Canada and the US, and many groups were going to march in honor of him, but a leader of one group, defied that, being very anti-European. He was shot by officials, but treated

like an uncrowned king by the Irish.

Things went on for a while, until at one point, the President attended the St. Patrick's day parade, complete with a lime green chrysanthemum.

That was a sign that the Irish were finally accepted into America!

The main population of the Irish aren't happy about the tacky costumes and the drinking, in fact, to quote someone, it was "a disgrace". For many, St. Patrick's day is a highly religious holiday. But, it still remains that St. Patricks Day is the day everyone wants to be Irish. :ph34r:

Okay, so, pretty much, each paragraph of that was a different date. I forgot the dates, okay?

EDIT:

Wah. I think I killed the topic with my information. D:

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt wear green today, but nobody pinched me because me and two other friends forgot to wear green and we kind of walked in a little group.

I wore alot of green today, I think I was possessed, maybe it was lack of sleep, but I actually wore earings today. Yeah. Scary. I havent kept earings on for... what, two years? My friend Natasha was really weirded out. It was hilareous. My shamrock earings, charm bracelet... jewelry scares me. But yeah, I wore a green shirt too. We didnt do anything special, but tonight I am cooking corned beef and cabbage xD.

And to sum up princess08's very long and informative thread, it is a celebration of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. (It is a celebration of being a Catholic.)

By the way, just so you all know, the Church officially moved St. Patrick's day to the 15th (Saturday) this year, so it won't fall into Holy Week.

I bought a bunch of booze and friends are coming over. Uh yea...

I didn't wear green though because I forgot when I was getting dressed. I might still put some on before they get here though. ^.^

There is always room for more! (I spent so much money.. :lol: ")
Also, whats with this pinching thing? Never heard it before...
I don't get it either, but supposedly if you don't wear green on St. Patricks Day you get pinched. o.o;

OMG.
Time to give a semi-lecture!~

-sings-

(Started at: 4:29 PM.)

This is actually a religious holiday, believe it or not. :3 I'm glad I studied this today..

St. Patrick himself, was originally a Roman, living in Britain who was captured by the Celts to be sold as a slave. He spent many months up in the mountains training his new master's sheep, and he starved for a large part of it. The only person he had to talk to was God, and eventaully God sent him a dream to go back to Britain. So he did, and he became a priest at some point. When he was forty years old, he began a quest to turn the Celts, who worshipped a series of gods, into Catholics. So, instead of blacking out the Celtic's religion, he blended the two. So, for instance, the Celts worshipped god by fire, so St. Patrick proposed that they have bonfires on Easter. Eventually, the Celts were entirely Catholic. When St. Patrick died, he was named a Saint, and he died on March. 17. Something-I-Forget AD.

So, they carried on happy for a while, when a plague hit, wiping out the entire potato crop. And alot of the Irish survived, practically, on potatoes. Thousands died of starvation. Then, some set out for The New World. Most who set out were middle-class, and of course, like all immigrants, landed in New York City and Boston. Back on the island of Ireland, the British invaded, and won. They banned St. Patrick's day, but the Irish kept on the tale via song. Then, they realized the power of this, and proclaimed all harpists and musicians be hung on the spot. Many more fled to America, but this time, they were the low-class, not so educated ones.

There were and are Irish groups, etc, who fund the parades in Chicago and New York. They were very strong in the "No Irish Need Apply" period, when stores and employers didn't want to hire the foreigners with a different accent or religion. The press had begun to report the St. Patrick's day parades and Irish as 'drunk monkeys'.

The Irish wouldn't accept that, not at all. They began to realize that their strength was in numbers, and at one point all the Irish groups went in one big St. Patrick's day parade.

The Prince of Whales or England, which one, has escaped me, went on a tour, through Canada and the US, and many groups were going to march in honor of him, but a leader of one group, defied that, being very anti-European. He was shot by officials, but treated

like an uncrowned king by the Irish.

Things went on for a while, until at one point, the President attended the St. Patrick's day parade, complete with a lime green chrysanthemum.

That was a sign that the Irish were finally accepted into America!

The main population of the Irish aren't happy about the tacky costumes and the drinking, in fact, to quote someone, it was "a disgrace". For many, St. Patrick's day is a highly religious holiday. But, it still remains that St. Patricks Day is the day everyone wants to be Irish. :lol:

Okay, so, pretty much, each paragraph of that was a different date. I forgot the dates, okay?

EDIT:

Wah. I think I killed the topic with my information. D:
Tl;dr. <.<; Well I read bits.

I think it's funny that some celebrate a religious holiday by getting drunk xP

Anyway, I don't do St. Patty's day. The whole pinching thing bothers me. It's annoying and an invasion of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back