Sub vs Dub- Anime

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acid~Rain

Reaction score
Everytime I watch an Anime vid on Youtube, I see people ranting in the comments section about "Awww The Dub Sucks! His/her voice is terrible and it sucks! *whine whine whine whine whine*

Some people actually like the dub.

Like, its english.

Its easy to understand.

Sure, The Subs are Great.

But Why does almost everyone hate the dub?

I'd Actually prefer to watch a Dubbed Anime over a Subbed anime any day.

Though I do Watch Both.

And What the heck is everyones problem with 4kids dubbing Anime?

I actually enjoy their dubs.

The only Anime Character who's Dub Voice I dislike is Akira Touya from Hikaru no Go (I prefer the Sub version of his voice than the english dubbed one) Other wise. I love the dub.

So What are Your opinions on Subs vs Dubs?

I like sub, im more used to it.

Plus the english kills it, blah.

See if I watch a anime originaly in SUB, I cant stand the Dub.

But if I see a anime originaly in DUB, I will mostly hate the sub.

In a fiarness of subs vs dubs.

I perfer Subs and raws. However, not all dubs are bad. Saiyuki's dub was pretty decent, since it was dubbed by ADV. Plus Slayers and Ranma had good dubbing also.

The 4Kids thing? Some of what they have dubbed has been pretty much.. well crap. Stuff like Ultimate Muscle, Pokemon and even Fighting Foodons/Bistro Reicpe were dubbed well. I am tired of people going on how 4Kids is. The Dub of Rockman EXE was pretty bad and that was dubbed by Viz.

It depends on the show for me.

Death Note just seems way more intense in Japanese. Watching it in English just is not the same. Sure it's nice to sit there and not have to read but it also seems to be a more mellow experience.

I don't mind shows like Hikaru No Go being dubbed. It is a friendly light story.

Hahaha I remember Fighting Foodons. Interesting show. :(

A show like Fruits Baskets/ Furuba doesn't matter either way. It comes off sweet no matter what.

English makes my ears bleed.

There are some tolerable dubs. But I prefer subs. But when I am buying a DVD it's a dub.

I just hate how they make the voices so whiney and annoying. Most of the time they change the words. I like the original form.

Like Mothie said.

~ChibiMuffins

Sometimes it depends on how bad the dub or sub is. Or how good.

For instance, the Furuba dub, that was actually very good, and they didn't have a girl for Yuki's voice., and I could walk away to get a soda without pausing and still not miss anything because I could hear english and know whats going on. But, some dubs, are just BAD. Like the Demon City Shinjuku one. Never watch that dub. Get the sub, peoples. O_O They had like, texas accents in JAPAN.

Note the word: JAPAN.

Though that anime was bad in the first place, it would've been better if it wasn't so poorly dubbed. xD

Subs are very good for things that you can't usually find dubs for. Thats when I usually watch subs. For Death Note, Karin, Bleach, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like subbed. In the animes I watch in japanese some of the characters voice actors are girls so that makes their voice more soft and ...well I don't want to say feminine, but you know what I mean. I watched a dubbed episode of this anime out of curiousity and one of the characters whose voice is originally soft and caring turned out like a cowboy's. x_x That totally killed it.

Subs and Raws. Thats it. I can't stand dubs. I don't know why.

I love subs, but then it depends on which came first. For example, I like the Rurouni Kenshin dub better than the sub because that's what I watched first; same with Dragonball Z.

Now I don't watch dubs as much though, because I'm such a voice actor freak. (Just ask my sister).

^^;

Powerpuff Girls Z is going to be dubbed by Ocean Group. Yeay! *new word* BUT, what Im scared of:

Voices: Who knows what they might do, they might make Kaoru/Powered Buttercup a raspy, hardcore, b-word. Miyako/Rolling Bubbles will have a super soft voice, and not a mature one which is what Im afraid of most! and Himeko/Princess is going to be voice by Kelly Sheridan, AKA BARBIE FROM THE MOVIES!!! She better be good at snobby voices. <.<

Which is one of the reasons I like subbed, they have all the dramatic EMOTION! and voices fit perfectly! Dub.....well, you know. @.@

I don't mind dubs, I just like sub better.

~SG~

I like sub better because it just isn't as good in English for some reason, like they sorta make the boys voices deeper and the girls voices more sort of whiney and squeky...not to mention changing the words. But some dub are ok, I hate it on DVDs that they're always dub rather than sub.

I generally prefer sub. Mind you, some dubs aren't bad at all. There are plenty of Spanish dubbed animes I have actually thought were better.

For Hikaru no Go however, which I now completely adore I asked the manager of the Go Association of my city for it in Japanese with English subs and it is just as good.

Death Note and Naruto are also better in Japanese, though I have not seen Naruto in a very long time.

Paprika and other animation films were enjoyable in both Japanese and Spanish. :)

Still, subs means you take your eyes off the image and can be a lot of reading, but it is worth it to hear the original version.

Latest posts

Back