Sign in to follow this  
sandragotchi

Oh My Gosh :O

It kinda makes me sad the mass hysteria that these articles can cause. :) There is no reason for all this panic and hype. I'm going to repeat, those gory results are VERY rare, you more thn likely have never actually seen the REAL Brown Recluse spider in person, and you can get much more horrifying injuries from a car wreck. Do you stop driving/riding in a car because of the possibility of a wreck?

If you encourage the development of an irrational fear of spiders you are just causing yourself a whole lot of extra stress. No matter where you live, you are likely a matter of feet away from several spiders. If spiders were SO dangerous/aggressive, we would all be missing digits and limbs!

Uhg, I saw some pictures.... I actually am glad they aren't found in Florida.

It look's painful.....And disgusting.

I have a question, a few year's ago, I got off the bus and started to walk home. When I looked forward to start walking, I jumped and almost fainted. I saw a HUGE spider web with a HUGE brown spider nesting in the dead center of it, right on the sidewalk between a tree and fence. I was scared to DEATH but happy I didn't run into it (It was atleast more then half the size of my palm) It was brown, had a hairy thoraz, and looked disgusting. What was it?

Aren't found in Florida? I had one in my house!!

I'd so rather not have known that.

My fear of spiders is now a smidge worse.

Yuck, spiders. :mellow:

Be careful when you offer info like this.

Also, when you receive info like this, be sure to look it up on your own.

Some clips from WikiPedia:

This spider is not aggressive and usually bites only when pressed against the skin, such as when tangled up within clothes, bath towels, or in bedding.

Most bites are minor.

Most fatalities are in children under 7 or those with a weaker than normal immune system.

If you want to see the whole thing along with a distribution map, see WikiPedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse

thats a relife

Ugh, that's very scary.

I live in PA. Do you think they're here as well?

I never been very fond of spiders.

Aubrey Hepburn, that sounds very painful. :mellow: I spill nail polish remover sometimes, but it never soaks in. How long did you leave it on?

Ugh, that's very scary.

I live in PA. Do you think they're here as well?

I never been very fond of spiders.

Aubrey Hepburn, that sounds very painful. :puroperatchi: I spill nail polish remover sometimes, but it never soaks in. How long did you leave it on?

The scary thing was, it was only on my skin for probably less than a minute before it was completely soaked in. I get very dry skin in the colder times of the year, so I think that was part of the problem. Even so, the doctors had no idea why I was burned so badly by it. I rarely paint my nails nowdays, and I have to wait until I can chip the polish off because I definantly don't want that happening again. :s

Ok so I tried looking at the article one more time but I again had a heart attack because the Recluse looks so big and I'm afraid of big spiders. I nearly fainted. But are you sure they live in Salt Lake City

I wouldn't trust Wikipedia. If you join, you can edit articles, and just put in some scientific-sounding nonsense.

As for the spiders, I wouldn't believe it regardless of Wikipedia. They just put the worst pictures on there possibly as a warning, or just to scare the crap out of people who have a fear.

Oh, and a 2nd degree burn... OW! ;)

I wouldn't trust those emails either.

Ok so I tried looking at the article one more time but I again had a heart attack because the Recluse looks so big and I'm afraid of big spiders. I nearly fainted. But are you sure they live in Salt Lake City

Sorry about that. And there not very big (at least the ones I've seen).

If you look at the nail on your thumb thats the biggest one I've ever seen.