pet birds

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=7pt]I don't, but my Grandpa does. ;) [/SIZE]

And I see him quite often.

His name is George, he is not hand trained, and he is 9 years old.

He's getting pretty old.

I have a greenish parakeet. Her name is Starr and she's like, a year old I think. IDK cuz my friend gave her to me after the other parakeet flew away.

I have had birds for many years. I have 2 cockatiels now but I have had finches.

When the cockatiels come over and start annoying me by talking to my feet or stealing my food, it's times when it's nice to have pets you can just pick up and toss to the other side of the room. :p

No, they don't care that I do that. I've been throwing them around for 8 years.

Why ask? Did you want birds of your own?

My birds aren't trained so much as they have trained us. The male bird sings and talks and likes me more than he probably should.

The female is very sweet and always seems to know when I am not feeling well. She has slept with me a few times now when I was just horribly sick. I curl up, she sits and sleeps next to me. How sweet.

Anyway..

Birds can be good pets. They can be quite messy though. I think cockatiels are the least messy of all the birds, that's why I have them.

I have 4 birds. :rolleyes:

•Webster, a African Grey, is hand trained, we can pet his head/beak/body, but if you touch his tail, you die. He is 16 as of October. Webbie can speak 50+ words, and sing the "Andy Griffeth Show" theme song.

•Sunny, a cockatiel, is a male and a proven breeder ^_^ He will be 10 in August.

•Maistro, a cockatiel, is Sunny's wife. She will be 8 in September, and she is also a proven breeder, but she cannot fly. We have to keep her away from the cats :p

•Ash, a parakeet, is the widower of his wife, Misty. He is 11 and is still talking :p

I do. It's trained to say "I've been a good boy" even though it's a girl, "I want to go" and does this annoying siren thing at the most random things. It's 48 years old. No offense to it, but it just won't die. I am forced to live with it. It is my dad's girlfriend's bird, and if she moves in, so does the stupid bird. PEOPLE, WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BUY A PET THAT TALKS.

I have:

*Quaker Parrot, Rima. She is extremely tame with me and certain family members, talks appropriately(sentences, names of things, making requests, answering my questions, etc.). She has a HUGE vocabulary and is an incredible little bird.

*Umbrella Cockatoo parrot, Angelo. He is a rarity among cockatoos for his clear speech and decent vocabulary. He calls the dog over, the cats over(though they often don't listen hehe). He is also pretty temperamental. Sometimes he is very sweet...but other times he can turn on a dime and hurt you really badly with his bite. It's just the nature of a male cockatoo to be moody. lol

*Budgie(Parakeet), Kiwi. He is not hand tamed, but he loves to talk to me and whistle and smooch at me. hehe He also imitates Rima when she speaks English, he loves to say "Gotta go in Rima!". Aww.

*2 Zebra Finches Biscuit and Cookie. They are adorable and peep loudly at me whenever they see me enter the room, but I've never heard of or met a hand tamed finch.

*23 Standard size chickens of many different breeds. They are all named, and VERY cuddly, lovable, huggable...they are more affectionate than my dog. o.o

*9 Bantam(super tiny) fancy chickens of 3 breeds. They just arrived here today and they are unbelievably tiny. They are only 2 days old, but they will be beautiful little things when they grow up. And...they will be just as tame as my others. :D

*12 ducks/ducklings of numerous breeds. All are named and love to nibble on my hands, feet, clothes, whatever. lol Only a few of them love to be cuddled and picked up, but ducks geberally don't like a lot of petting and such. They are clever and personable and friendly, but they would rather play with you/talk to you than be picked up and squooshed.

*2 White Chinese Geese, named TanTan and DaPengyou. My geese are insanely smart and interactive. They love to be picked up and carried around, they sit on my lap if I'm on the ground, you can hug them, pet them, tickle them, pretty much anything. If I take them out in the yard for exercise(they are just now becoming old enough to live outside, but they are HUGE already!!), they run screaming behind me everywhere I go, desperate to stay with me and not be left behind. lol They require a LOT of training and affection(training because they can be aggressive and bites are painful), but they give me in return SO much love. :)

All birds are messy and NOT easy to care for. Be prepared to put in a lot of work when keeping any bird. Parrots require constant training to prevent aggression, and very specialized environmental requirements. I have been raising all my chickens, ducks and geese for the past 3 months, and it is extremely time and work intensive. I easily spend upwards of 4-5 hours on just them every day. BUT, if you are prepared for it and ready to take on such a responsibility, there is no more rewarding animal than a happily bonded bird. :)

My family has 2 parakeets, 6 chickens, and 8 chicks. But I don't usually do much with them. They all scare me.

The parakeets are green, dunno what to call that. And they are named Felicity and Rosetta.

I think this topic brought bad luck. LOL Somehow, I ended up with 4 parakeets brought to me last night. I certainly have the room but Parakeets are on the loud side.

Wish me luck with those little guys. :D

UPDATE:

So far, they are quite well behaved. They came to me in 2 nice but slightly small cages. I got my big black Dove cage set up for them and they are all together now and seem very hapy.

I did not know their names, so I went and named them.

Stormy :, because it's a multi color with mostly sky blue and very dark blue and white.

Stratus: (mostly white)

Thunder: Yellow with slight dark stripes.

Lightning: Bright yellow.

I find out today that Thunder is his original name! How is that for weird? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mothra, GOOD LUCK! Especially when the birds start nagging each other...lovely sound they make. ;) It's great that you took them in, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back