Going Hamster Shopping

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~*Starfire*~

Reaction score
[SIZE=8pt]Okay, I have 2 hamsters both in separate cages because they are different breeds. That's unneeded information i guess but I am going shopping for accessories for them and I was wondering if any of you had hamsters and/or could tell me what I should get =) I need ideas :D [/SIZE]

Thanks

Well that depends what you already have. What I got when I had hamsters and gerbils was these plastic tubes for the hamsters to run around in. I got tons of them and connected them to each other and made a big long tunnel that attacthed to an empty tank with sawdust and toys in there and a wheel and food and water (not their cage, but like a little rest/play/excersie area and it was connected to their home cage plus that other cage so they could go there whenever they wanted.

Plus I got a little playpen and put toys and tubes and houses for them to play in on the floor so they can run around. But you'd have to keep an eye on them. Both gerbils and hamsters can climb out of their. I had a hamster who got loose for a couple days before I found her starving in my drawer. =(

[SIZE=8pt]Thanks... what I have already that's extra is a salt lick and a mineral lick, a fluffy bed, a brush, and a ball for them to run around in. I did see an edible couch you can put in their cage once though...[/SIZE]

A hamster wheel would do good. Hamsters love those. Before I had one, both my hamsters and gerbils looked bored. Then I finally got one and for the first couple of days, thats all they did besides sleep, eat, and drink.

you dont really need to buy much except a wheel and a ball i just used toilet paper rolls n made tunnels my hamster loves them :D those connecter tube thingys are a good idea too but it depends what kind of hamster you have cause mine is too small to climb them. oh and stuff for them to chew on hamsters love/need to chew things constantly!

Hamster wheels are great - just don't get the ones with the long, thin bars. Hamsters can get really sore feet from running on those. You should be able to find a solid-surface wheel or a wheel with small mesh squares. Playpens are nice for out-of-cage time, but you absolutely have to supervise. You could also try looking in the reptile section of a pet store for a large, climbable branch or piece of driftwood. My gerbils have these things called Build 'n' Bites. They're sort of like wooden puzzle pieces that you can put together to make a small animal playground. My gerbils love them, and I'm sure hamsters would to.

[SIZE=8pt]Thanks! I do have a wheel, my cage came with one, as well as a water bottle, and a food bowl[/SIZE]

Well, I saw these tubes made of vegetable matter, so they were edible and they come in a range of sizes, and connect together. Hamsters in the shop liked them.

Also, what kind are your hamsters? I have a Syrian one who'll play with anything.

Also, I saw this ball with a lid that you put treats in and they play with it and treats come out.

Look for wood items, and if they like climbing, look for complicated and strange things.

[SIZE=8pt]Nix666, I have 1 Chinese Dwarf Hamster and a Fancy Hamster =)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Nix666, I have 1 Chinese Dwarf Hamster and a Fancy Hamster =)[/SIZE]
A fancy hamster? I've never heard of that breed. I've just heard of Syrians, Campbell's dwarves, Winter White dwarves, Roborovski dwarves, and Chinese dwarves. Do you have a picture of your "fancy hamster?"

Get the tubes that Nix mentioned, they are called Chubes. They are chewable, edible colorfl little tubes that come with a wad of soft nesting material in them for your Ham to snuggle in. You can find them at PetSmart and they only cost around $2.00 a piece.

Any of the small, assorted mineral or wood chews will be enjoyed by your Ham. They can carry them around, chew on them, roll them,stack them...whatever they please. They come in all sorts of cute shapes, even things like mini ice cream cones and hamburgers! My chinchilla LOVES those things. :p

Kiwitchi_Fan: Fancy hamsters are usually a color or coat variation of the common breeds of hamsters. Such as Panda coloring, chocolate coloring, wavy hair, etc. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the tubes that Nix mentioned, they are called Chubes. They are chewable, edible colorfl little tubes that come with a wad of soft nesting material in them for your Ham to snuggle in. You can find them at PetSmart and they only cost around $2.00 a piece.
Any of the small, assorted mineral or wood chews will be enjoyed by your Ham. They can carry them around, chew on them, roll them,stack them...whatever they please. They come in all sorts of cute shapes, even things like mini ice cream cones and hamburgers! My chinchilla LOVES those things. ^_^

Kiwitchi_Fan: Fancy hamsters are usually a color or coat variation of the common breeds of hamsters. Such as Panda coloring, chocolate coloring, wavy hair, etc. ;)
Ohhhh! =D Those are usually different variations of Syrian/Golden hamsters. My hamster was a Black Bear. ^_^ Thanks, Aubrey Hepburn! :D Oh, and yes, Chubes are fun. =3 My gerbils love theirs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back