Modded Tamagotchi

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephiel

Reaction score
I've wanted to post this here for a while but never got around to do it. I had some time today so here it is:

View the mod in YouTube

Sorry for the lame video quality and lack of audio. The video was taken with a digital photo camera and it didn't capture the sound.

The LED is on the side where the chimney-antenna was, because

1) I already had a hole there, and

2) that way I can put the tama sideways in a shirt pocket or a pencil case and have only the corner with the warning light sticking out.

If I get my hands on a clear shell, this time I'll put the LED completely inside the shell, just above the screen, so the light can be seen from all angles through the case. And maybe use a different color LED, green, yellow or blue, for example.

The design of the V5 shell I used was the ninja design (the one that came with a Gozarutchi charm) so I thought it would be appropiate to mod it to be stealthy :) I'd like to make one completely black (black buttons and everything) with the LED on top of the screen.

BEWARE: BOOORING TECHNICAL DETAILS FOLLOW :)

I placed the circuit board and screen of a V4 inside the shell of a V5 (very easy because it just fits, simply had to take them apart and put them together again).

I cut off the chimney of the V5 housing, then filed and polished the edges of the hole, and filled it with epoxy putty. When dry I took out the piece of putty, cut it in half, and filed a small round hole between both halves for the LED. Glued each half of the piece to each half of the shell, then sanded and polished (turns out I should have polished it more, it still looks a bit rough) and painted with black enamel model paint, which is suited for this because it won't rub off and stain your fingers or clothes.

Then I soldered 2 wires to the same points in the circuit board where the speaker wires are soldered, figured out the polarity (which one was + and which -) and soldered the LED to the end of the wires.

Last, I cut and filed off a hole in the back of the shell to place the switch and glued it in place. I cut one of the wires coming from the circuit board to the speaker, and soldered the switch in between.

Sorta like this:

Code:
Before:
             (+)----------------(+)
              |                  |
CIRCUIT BOARD |                  |SPEAKER
              |                  |
             (-)----------------(-)

After:
             (+)--O----SWITCH---(+)
              |   |____          |
CIRCUIT BOARD |    ____|LED      |SPEAKER
              |   |              |
             (-)--O-------------(-)
All the wire joints were properly isolated with heatshrink tubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back