What's the big deal with name brands?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meowbark

September 2008 Contest Winner
Reaction score
Alright so like, recently I've been noticing this even more and more about the school I've been going to.

It seems a good chunk of my current school, and almost everyone in my Middle School last year, was going ga ga over name brands. If you didn't have name brand ANYTHING you would be made fun of. What's the big deal? Seriously. Is it some sort of contest to see who can buy the most retarded neon-looking piece of crap pair of shoes?

Just the other day in school, I was doing my classwork with my group and everyone was laughing at me. Apparently a boy was squatted over taking pictures with his cell phone of my shoes behind me. They were a pair of 15 dollar Starters I got from Wal-Mart that I got. I only have one pair of name brand shoes, some black converse I got for cosplaying because one of my costumes required them and they were like 50% off at the store.

So tell me, why do people insist on spending buckets of money to look 'good' when you can do the same by shopping at Wal-Mart, Target, or even some small Thrift-Store for less than half the price? Jesus :I Not EVERYONE can afford the luxurious life of wasting their parents money on crap they only wear like 2 times.

I've noticed it too.

Sure, I'm one of those name brand junkies, but it's just the style these days. Expensive stuff. Yeah, you shouldn't get made fun of, especially if you aren't rich, or you just can't afford it.

Of course you can get some cute stuff at Wal-Mart and Target and Kmart and so on. Like I said, people just seem to like Aeropostale, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Hollister, DC, Converse, The North Face, etc. Just like me. I can afford it, but I buy most of it with my own money because my parents think I have too much clothes. Like my parents refuse to buy me any more hoodies, but possibly they will if it's really cheap at Wal-Mart or whatever.

But, you just gotta understand that people just know it's the style, and they want to be in. Some people do it to be popular or to be in style, or like me, I do it because it's in style and I just like it.

My mom has said that I'm "too good to shop at Wal-Mart". I have stuff from there.

I know what you mean and stuff, but at my school you don't really get made fun of. But, like, so WHAT if you don't shop at name brand stores. So WHAT. You can't afford it.

I don't really know what advice I could give you. Maybe go to a thrift shop and get name brand clothes there? I do that every once in a while, and people don't even notice. If not, just ignore them, because people like you mentioned can be jerks.

Hopefully I helped...

Not EVERYONE can afford the luxurious life of wasting their parents money on crap they only wear like 2 times.
Not everyone who wears designer brands is going to wear an outfit once and judge others for not being the same as them. :I

I love going shopping, and I admit I'll nearly always walk by stores like Walmart/Target to buy from somewhere like Pink or Delia's instead. This doesn't make me stuck-up or judgemental - I just find the clothes there reliably cute. :) Tons of my friends wear clothes from the same stores I shop at, and many don't. I love my friends who wear the same outfits from Target each day just as much as I love my friends who walk around in Juicy or Aeropostale.

Don't get me wrong though, I understand your point ~ It's annoying when people start bragging about what they can afford, or making fun of their peers who honestly don't care what make their shoes or jeans are. But that's a whole different story to just wearing the designer brands.

Because if you think about it, it works both ways. As long as someone isn't hurting anyone else, they can wear what they want. This doesn't just apply to kids wearing stuff from Walmart and being all "DON'T JUDGE ME." People shouldn't be judged for wanting to spend their money on clothes from Hollister or Abercrombie either.

Most of my clothes come from JC Penny, Walmart or Fred Meyer. They're cheap, and unlike most stores they actually have sizes that fit me.

The only name-brand clothes I have are my shoes and a sweatshirt I'm in love with because it has fuzz inside and down the arms.

I used to only buy clothes from Hot Topic(before they became a huge scene kid hangout). Looking back, I wasted so much money. $20 a shirt, $50-60 for one pair of pants. It's ridiculous. Most of my shirts are still around $20, but I refuse to pay over $30 for pants.

I don't know why people are so obsessed with name brand clothes. You can get nearly the exact same clothes for less. I have a shirt I bought for a Christmas party from Fred Meyer for $30. Macys had a near replica for $60. Amusingly enough, the one from Fred Meyer looks a lot better.

I don't see why it matters. Clothes are clothes. If you're comfy, right on.

The majority of my clothes are from Target, T.J. Maxx, and Old Navy, and people compliment me on my outfits all the time. So really, name brands don't (or at least shouldn't) mean a thing.

Well it is quite simple. If you wear Walmart clothes, You have few friends. Well, your friends consist of other people who wear Walmart stuff.

I'm not saying all Walmart clothes are ugly...But they are frowned apon.

And honesty, By the time you're in Middle school you should have enough self respect to wear Brand names like Hollister, Abercrombie, Ed Hardy, Pacsun, Wet seal (Just to name a few)

Thats my oppinion.

Well it is quite simple. If you wear Walmart clothes, You have few friends. Well, your friends consist of other people who wear Walmart stuff.I'm not saying all Walmart clothes are ugly...But they are frowned apon.

And honesty, By the time you're in Middle school you should have enough self respect to wear Brand names like Hollister, Abercrombie, Ed Hardy, Pacsun, Wet seal (Just to name a few)

Thats my oppinion.
That's quite possibly one of the most shallow things I've heard in a long time.

So because someone can't afford to spend $50 on a pair of jeans, it means they have no self-respect?

If you're that concerned with what other people wear, you don't deserve friends. Real friends look past labels.

Well it is quite simple. If you wear Walmart clothes, You have few friends. Well, your friends consist of other people who wear Walmart stuff.I'm not saying all Walmart clothes are ugly...But they are frowned apon.

Thats my oppinion.
this post made me REALLY ANGRY! thats rude, and like sweet kandi said, shallow. i didnt start wearing brand name clothing until this year, and the few hollister shirts i do wear are hand-me-downs from my cousin. in fact, practically all my clothes are from my cousin. most of my stuff is from target and walmart. maybe i do have few friends.. but.. OK YOU JUST MADE ME REALLY ANGRY!

Thats my oppinion.
Haven't heard of the names I bolded.

Maybe I'm just "out of the loop"-- in fact, I believe I am-- but I like my hand-me-downs and stuff we get from rummage sales. But, yeah, some classmates wear Converse and Northface, but I don't really care at all.

In my opinion, I think it is mostly the pre-teen crowd that wear the most name brands. It think that they sorta want to seem like teenagers, so they spend extra money on clothes from Pink and other such stores. I have to admit, me and my whole class used to be like that, but now noone in my class really cares anymore. I personally perfer some name brands simply because I think their clothing is comfy. Hollister is one of them, mostly because they have awesome coats and sweaters that are quite comfy. All the other stores like Old navy and Gap are awesome and cost way less. I just don't like Target and Wal-mart clothes. My mom has bought me clothes from there, and I wasn't too fond of them. I do love their T-shirts though, I'll buy a shirt from there anyday.

Thats my oppinion.
What?

Wearing clothes from certain brands doesn't give you self-respect..

Just because they're popular, and more expensive, that doesn't make them symbolic of anything :S

You wear what you like and not just because it makes you feel more appreciated. If you don't, then you have no self-respect.

I like clothes from a lot of places... some of of them are brand stores.. some of them are just random little places. But just because I can afford clothes from certain stores doesn't mean I can't get something from Wal Mart if I like it. Brands don't say anything about what kind of person you are..

But yeah, if you get teased because of the brand of clothes you wear.. I don't agree with that. There's a difference between dressing poorly and dressing differently :)

The people that do these things to you just want everyone to be the same.

They probably don't have any respect for anybody but themselves.

You honestly shouldn't be expected to wear anything (woops that sounded weird) O___O

But the point is, you can wear what you want. No matter if it's 'in' at the moment or not.

I, personally, kinda dislike what's 'in' and like what's 'out'. xD It's me. If you like Walmart or whatever, grrr, sorry, I'm not familiar with USA's retailers and all, then you should be allowed to do that without anyone being the slightest bit judgemental on your decision. These people obviously don't understand that and just want to make you miserable because you're not exactly like them. In the end, it's their loss.

Whatever you do, don't give into peer pressure.

Being yourself is all that matters. ~

To tell you the truth, I'm not really that much of a fan of WalMart and Target and stores like that. I buy clothing at the more expensive name brand stores because i think the stuff personally looks cooler. And WalMart and Target and really not my style at all.

I prefer stores like hottopic, wetseal, journeys, areopostle, hollister, stuff like that. And to tell you the truth, you can't really get clothing from stores like that from WalMart, they just have the basics.

It's not that people think that it's better to buy name brand stuff, it's that that the people think that their style is soo much better than someone else's. It's a dog eat dog world out there, people pick on other people to make themselves feel better, or because others are different.

When people get older they care more about what they look like and stuff, like the people in this situtation with making fun of you a really immature and don't let them get to your head. If you like how you dress, if that's you, then it doesn't matter. Just remember not all people who love brand name stuff are mean like that. I'm one of those brand name junkies. :D

Well, the reason I usually get namebrand stuff is because it's a lot closer to my house than places like WalMart. I dont judge people on what they wear.

My favorite place to shop for clothing is Aeropostale, not because I want the name brand stuff to fit in, but because I really like the style of their clothing. Their shirts are fitted and long, perfect for my body shape, and I really like the way the logo is portrayed on the clothing.

I don't make fun of people for not wearing name brand things, because I understand that money doesn't grow on trees. Some people can afford it, but just choose not to buy it. That's fine too. I find it quite rude when people discriminate others for having different tastes than themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back