Hobos.

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Ok, so everyone knows hobos, right? For some reason, everybody thinks that they're dumb, homeless weirdos. But it doesn't have to be like that. Hobos are just people that travel from place to place, with no exact home. There can be rich hobos, it's true.

So, what I want is for all of you people to just... let it all out, if you will. Talk about experinces with a hobo. Maybe share a little anecdote. NOTE: THIS TOPIC WAS NOT MADE ENTIRELY TO MAKE FUN OF THESE PEOPLE.

Ex: I grew up near Chicago. So one day, in downtown, i saw a hobo. And he goes to this girl, "can i have your ipod?" kinda freaky, but... (its got so bad, that there had to be free meals given away. at least they'll survive. :wub: )

I guess you cant always hate them. I mean, not all hobos have to be dim-witted. In a way, i think their different views of the world is more optimistic than ours. I mean, you dont see a "rich" dude screaming at the top of his lungs "im the king of the wooorrrrrrrrlllllllld!!!!" ( :D )

I guess they try to make the best in life. Like cool poisonous caterpillars. :(

So, what do YOU think? :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the hobo at my cousin's school can juggle. But he talks to himself. Which is kinda freaky. He juggles like 6/7 balls at once xD

Well, the only experience I really ever had with a hobo was when I was driving to practice one day, this very solemn guy was standing on the side of the road with a big sign that said "Will work for food."

I felt so bad for him. DDDD:

I see hobos all the time. \: It saddens me.

There's always these random hobos walking around asking for $2.

I've only ever seen one lady give them $2. Only. One. Lady. o;

There's always these random hobos walking around asking for $2.I've only ever seen one lady give them $2. Only. One. Lady. o;
My mom gives money to hobos.

@ Weiwei, your Mum is a very kind-hearted PERSON.

BUT---there can be hobo imitators who dress up all hobo-y just for money.

It's horrid.

The city is full of these homeless people with beer bottles and it's just urg.

I wish I could help them, but then again, some of them may have done something to end up like that.

Something which was completely their fault.

Or maybe not. \:

EDIT; I wrote 'your Mum is a kind-hearted hobo'

instead of 'your Mum is a kind-hearted person'.

Weiwei's Mum is not homeless.

Yeah.

Me and my Nana were walking to the train station and there was a guy with a sign that said 'Homeless & Hungry'.

Written in crayon

How did he get a crayon? O:

I'm from a place where there's like, no hobos.

But once in Toronto, this one hobo was trying to drink coffee from out of the garbage, so my dad went inside the cafe and bought him a large.

My dad's a nice guy. :)

Well most of the time, homeless people have a reason to be where they are. Like if they did something bad, comitted a crime or got kicked out of the house because they were wasted on drugs or something. And if they're asking for money, they could just be using it on alcohol and stuff. That's why whenever we see someone on the street, we usually buy them like a meal and bring it to them instead of just handing them 5 bucks.

But yeah, not all of them are like that.. there's this one homeless person who we see by a Dollaramaa lot, and he has a guitar and he sings, and he's really good, but it's weird because he's smoking, and I'm like "If he's struggling to eat and have a shelter.. why is he spending all his money on cigarettes?"

anyways, apparently he's really nice.. and my mom is actually like, friends with him xD And whenever we go there they greet eachother and have like a 10 minute conversation, and my mom asks him to play a few songs for her and she gives him 20 dollars. It's kind of odd, but nice.. :)

My mom was taking me and my freind to church and I saw a hobo holding up a sighn. I didn't get to see what is said but I felt bad for him. When my freind and I got back we went under a bridge near the backyard of my house I saw him walking down under laying Dow a sleeping bag and crawled into it. I pulled out a 100 bill( I know I know a little much) and walked over to him and handed it to him. He was so happy he gave me most of his food but I told him to keep it.

heartwarming, kapaka :3<3

There's no such thing as donating too much.

Well, the only experience I really ever had with a hobo was when I was driving to practice one day, this very solemn guy was standing on the side of the road with a big sign that said "Will work for food."I felt so bad for him. DDDD:
You can drive? O: xD

I always feel bad for them. But sometimes you have to look into stuff. If they give you a picture of themselves with their kid or something, how did they get the money to make 200 copies of the picture to hand out? Hrmph.

I remember once there was a homeless lady who ran into me my mom and brother. My mom gave her some money. She wasn't begging, though. You could tell she was homeless.

If you go into the city near where I live, there are hobos everywhere. D:

Some of them make me feel sorry for them; the ones who are just sitting there with their little sleeping bags, looking sad.

Some of them scare me; the crazy guys who stare you down and scream loudly for no reason. O:

Some of them actually make me happy; the ones who are raising money for themselves by singing or playing an instrument.

I think my family's donated to a hobo once, when my Dad had spare change, but a lot of them are fakes or buy drugs with the money. D: It's really sad, but there are more effective ways to donate money to poverty, through funds and charities who make sure the money's put to good use.

Kapaka- You pwn :)

I think that some hobos are quite awesome, like the ones you hear about on MLIA. Some are creepy, and like Esther said, there are just fakes who use the money for drugs and beer. Once I saw a hobo holding a sign saying: "I don't care if I have nothing, I want beer" or something like that. Instead of feeling bad for him, I was sort of angry at him. Food is more important than beer.

Kapaka- You pwn :)

I think that some hobos are quite awesome, like the ones you hear about on MLIA. Some are creepy, and like Esther said, there are just fakes who use the money for drugs and beer. Once I saw a hobo holding a sign saying: "I don't care if I have nothing, I want beer" or something like that. Instead of feeling bad for him, I was sort of angry at him. Food is more important than beer.
Thanks and that's horibal I've only seen hobos with sighns that say help and please give me food but but saying he wants beer. :D

I'm kind of suspicious of hobos/beggars/whatever you wish to call them. I understand that hobos here aren't exactly the same as beggars in other parts of the world. For example, India.

My most recent visit to India was this past summer, and the streets are filled with beggars. There is so much poverty in that country. It'll break your heart.

But begging there is a business. Especially with the child beggars. I suppose Slumdog Millionaire is a pretty good portrayal of that.

Exploitation..

This summer, my cousins and I gave a group of people on the street a bunch of our old clothes. Most of the men were only wearing pants and the women had old, dirty looking clothing.

They took our clothes, but they didn't wear them at all, which kinda made us mad.

Yeah. The only man we gave money too in our two months of being in India was a poor blind man. My mom, who grew up in India, figured he was selling his stuff for one of those organizations.

We bought some stuff that the kids were selling on the street, but not regularly.

And I'm sure similar stuff happens here in America. Most of the hobos I've encountered on roadtrips or in LA seemed drunk and they looked like they would mug you. O:

-end ramble-

Here in Christchurch, the sad truth is hobos don't use the money to get food, they use it to buy drugs.

There is a guy who sits in town with a rag out for people to put money in. He looks very sad and hungry and homeless but he actually lives down my friends street. He's a con man. And I gave him a cupcake!

There are some hobos out there who actually need the help, but lots of them are just fakes, need a quick few bucks, or just wanna buy drugs or beer. :[

Awhile ago I saw this hobo with a sign that said, "Parents got abducted by ninjas. Need money for Ninja Training School." xD

Has anyone here ever SEEN a Ninja Training School? I doubt it. :D

By the wayy, not trying to make fun of hobos or anything but they are a fun topic to joke around about. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back