sad news in olimpic sports

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomato-kun

Reaction score
I saw that poor young man die from the luge run yesterday. CTV actually showed it, the whole run including the crash, it was horrific and I wish I'd never seen it. Thank God they haven't shown it again. its horrible! Its horrible that it happened, that they are showing it on tv and that it happened the day the Olympics are starting. The poor guy! :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've heard about him, too.

Thankfully they never showed it on the news channel my family watches. But my dad showed me it on the computer... three times .__.

I don't quite understand why the most deadly turn on the whole track was opened up with metal bars. I think that if the area was closed off, he might have survived.

It's quite sad, actually.

I saw that also. :( it's really ironic because at school around 10:30 (the time the luger crashed) my friend was talking about how the luge was an 'easy' sport, and how anyone could do it, and my other friend was saying how it's possible to crash into a wall and die in the luge. And I went home and found out that that actually happened ;o

I'm kind of surprised that they showed it on my news channel too. They say that it's 'necessary to tell the story' but I really don't think so, and plus, if you died how would you like videos of you dying all over the TV?

I kind of don't want to blame Vancouver 2010 on this, because this is like my home country, but if they had simply took the precautions and padded the metal posts, then they could've prevented his death. And they should've put more thinking into the safety of the competitors, people are coming to your city from all around the world and you want to impress them - not hurt them.

I would say it is 40% the Olympic committee's mistake, and 60% just nobody's fault.. it could have happened anywhere, and it's hard to predict. Just a bad turn of events ):

But I still think that Vancouver is going to be a great Olympics, and the opening ceremony was awesome, it;s just too bad this had to happen ._.

I heard that. ):

Very upsetting. I feel sorry for his family. And him. Just about to go to the olympics!

He was so close.

I heard about it this morning. I feel so sorry for his family and freinds.

It's devastating that it was just hours before the opening ceremony.

I saw the video. It was horrible. I feel really bad for the guy :'(

I saw that also. :( it's really ironic because at school around 10:30 (the time the luger crashed) my friend was talking about how the luge was an 'easy' sport, and how anyone could do it, and my other friend was saying how it's possible to crash into a wall and die in the luge. And I went home and found out that that actually happened ;o
I'm kind of surprised that they showed it on my news channel too. They say that it's 'necessary to tell the story' but I really don't think so, and plus, if you died how would you like videos of you dying all over the TV?

I kind of don't want to blame Vancouver 2010 on this, because this is like my home country, but if they had simply took the precautions and padded the metal posts, then they could've prevented his death. And they should've put more thinking into the safety of the competitors, people are coming to your city from all around the world and you want to impress them - not hurt them.

I would say it is 40% the Olympic committee's mistake, and 60% just nobody's fault.. it could have happened anywhere, and it's hard to predict. Just a bad turn of events ):

But I still think that Vancouver is going to be a great Olympics, and the opening ceremony was awesome, it;s just too bad this had to happen ._.
Im afraid that if you crash at the speeds that he was travelling (90+ MPH), padding the posts wouldn't have made much difference. It's not hitting the object that kills you, it's stopping at such velocity.

I haven't seen the video, I wasn't even aware there was one, not sure I do want to see it. D:

It's a horrible way to go, I just can't imagine what was going through his head before it happened. In the opening ceremony the faces of his teammates broke my heart. So sad. </3

Im afraid that if you crash at the speeds that he was travelling (90+ MPH), padding the posts wouldn't have made much difference. It's not hitting the object that kills you, it's stopping at such velocity.
Oh, really? I don't really know much about luging, so I guess that makes it a little better. Knowing that it wasn't really anyone's fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept seeing his name on the internet, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Then when my family and I were watching the Olympics, the first thing they did was show a picture of Nodar Kumaritashvili, his flag, and his years. They mentioned the accident that happened and then they showed the actual clip. Multiple times actual. I was all like O.O "So THATS who he is." Yeah. Not exactly the nicest thing to say, but that's what I thought.

I felt bad for his team. When they were walking in the Parade of the Nations, they hung a black ribbon their flag and they all wore black scarfs. While other teams walked out with smiles and in great moods, the Georgian team dragged their feet and walked with frowns. One of the guys was actually close to crying.

Not exactly a pleasant start.

They're not allowing it to be shown here, I don't think. And quite rightly so. It's not our right to just go ahead and play a clip of someone who did. A little respect for the man, please?

Anyways, I think it's very sad that this has happened, but I don't believe that the Prime Minister of Georgia blamed it on the safety team entirely. These people go into the sport knowing their life is always going to be in great danger. I mean, they're practically riding a tea tray down a track at about 120km/h. Of course it's tragic, but at the same time, some person has probably fallen off a sledge in the snow and died, too, and noone would intefere on that.

Rest in peace ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back