School Band..? D:

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBalloon

Reaction score
Hello.. My school has a mandatory band course for the 7th graders to introduce them to the instruments to see if they want to take them in highschool. (The elementary schools where I live go from K-7 then the highschools go from grade 8-12). All the grade 6s were recently given a form regarding band. We have to choose and instrument we want to play, and put down why we think we should play this instrument. I have a problem though, I have absouletely NO knowledge on instruments. I mean, I've played recorder in the younger grades, but that's about it. I never learned how to read the music because I just didn't get it, so I put the note it was ontop of it by getting a couple of my friends that know how to read notes to tell me what note it was. A lot of my friends have trouble reading notes, but still. I have 3 questions..

1. Is it easy to learn the notes? Because I want to know how to properly read them. If it's not, I don't mind taking time to get my band teacher to show me how to do it.

2. What's the easiest band instrument to play? I really dont want to play clarinet because I just don't like it. I would prefer a brass instrument.

3. Is performing scary?

Thanks if you can help! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont worry, Im in my school band. At first, you wont be so good, but dont get discouraged, dont quit. Also all the instruments are hard to play, but thats what practice is for. Notes are very easy to read, and their fun to learn to, and performing isn't scary, just pretend its another practice only you're not allowed to screw up, as much. [; I know Im not that helpful, but just think about it.

Brass instruments are fairly hard to play, especially the trombone. But it can be quite rewarding once you learn how to do it. Tuba is extremely large, and the trumpet is small. All instruments are good, but the brass ones take a bit of an extra push to learn. You have to learn how to control the air the goes into the instrument, and remember more hand combinations. The trombone is the same way, except remembering positions.

Flutes are a bit tricky at first as well, because you need to pass air into the instrument in a certain way.

Saxophones, I find, are the easiest. The alto sax is the smaller one, and sits on your lap, while the tenor and baritone a positioned beside you. Alto has a higher sound than the tenor, and the tenor has a higher sound than the baritone. The baritone is rather large, while the tenor is a pretty medium size.

I play the tenor saxophone, and I'm pretty good if I do say so myself. :D It's a nice sounding instrument, as are all saxophones.

Reading notes is easy to catch on to. First year of music is where lots of concepts will be thrown at you, but in future years you begin to know everything naturally and start to learn your instrument more.

At first, performing is scary. You get a bit nervous, especially if you're playing alone. But it's a great feeling that you're contributing to a much bigger sound.

Brass instruments are usually harder... I would go with either trumpet or alto sax. Alto sax is a really cool instrument, and a lot of my friends play it and they sound really good so it can't be too hard. Every instrument is hard to play, but I think alto saxophone would be the easiest, and the coolest :)

Just don't do trombone... it's hard, and it's disgusting. xD I used to play trombone, the sliding positions are tricky, and the mouthpiece is gross and smells like dirty metal, it's the most uncomfortable instrument, it makes your cheeks hurt and your lips feel disgusting... and if you ever try emptying the spit valve... it's grosssss, especially if you share the instrument with other people. My classmate found like, yellow spit coming out of his, and it's just gross to think that you actually play with that stuff sitting in your trombone. :S so yeah.. Don't do trombone!!! I'm glad I switched :p

Now I play tambourine... lolll. Im not very musical, so I just follow along with the beat, and my teacher calls me the metronome xD

Sometimes I get to play drums too, or glockenspiel... the glock is a fun instrument too, & it's fairly easy. But for me, I wish I had done Alto Sax. I think that would be a good choice.

I don't find the notes very easy to read personally.... sometimes our band teacher does lessons on theory (notes) sometimes, so I really have to pay attention in those classes. If you don't get it still, you could ask her/him to show you. Band isn't terribly difficult, you just have to get used to your instrument at first and it's really fun

1. Notes are actually really easy to learn.

2. I play trombone and used to play trumpet. Trombone is easier to play, but slide positions can be a little tricky. Trumpets are a little harder to play, but they fingerings are quiet easy. Those are two instruments I recomend.

3. Not really. Of coarse, you will be nervous at first. But with most auditoriums, there's so much light, you can't even see the audience. It's really fun.

I hope you love band and happy band...ing...? lol

P.S. You should try marching band when you're older. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun!

1. Is it easy to learn the notes? Because I want to know how to properly read them. If it's not, I don't mind taking time to get my band teacher to show me how to do it. For the most part it's easy. They have word "games" for remembering them all(I don't remember what they are. Been too many years). I'm sure the teacher will go over it for everyone though. It'd be silly for them to assume everyone on earth already knows.

2. What's the easiest band instrument to play? I really don't want to play clarinet because I just don't like it. I would prefer a brass instrument. Flute was pretty easy I thought. Grades 7-8 I played percussion which is extremely easy so long as you can keep a beat. Plus you get the opportunity to play other types of drums(bass drum, drum set(hate), timpani, etc).

3. Is performing scary? Performing alone is scary, but in a group it's fine. It's less pressure, and if you get lost/make a mistake, the audience rarely notices because everyone else is still playing. It's also easier to find where you were and catch back up because you can listen to the people next to you.

Thank-you everyone for your help! :)

I was just wondering, is the alto sax hard to carry around when it's in its case? Cause of course I'll have to bring it home to practice and it might be a hassle if it's heavy and I have to carry it home...

@Mazeay: hahaha, eww. Yellow spit? =S Luckily my school gives us our own individual instruments. =P

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty heavy. Well, for me. It'll be fine to walk home with though : P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back