I need advice

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
About August 20th, I will be attending a new type of school, Middle School So I need some advice from some girls who have been down this path before. Here are some of my questions

1.) Makeup ;) Is it a good idea for me to wear makeup? I have some blemishes and my mom says people will start making fun of me. Is it a good idea? And if so what are the best type of products?

2.) Shaving :eek: I am starting to grow hair on my legs and arms. Will it be a good idea to shave around this time? And if so which products should I try?

3.) Hair :furawatchi: I have long, natrually curly hair and what are some hairstyles you suggest for me to try?

4.) Acne products :angry: Which is the best product that I should use to clear up my face?

Thanks for reading,

~Flandre

P.S: I didn't know if I should put this into seriously NonTamaTalk, but I figured, its not too serious.

Im not a girl, bot all my friends are, so I have some area's of expertise...

1) If you feel the need to wear makeup, eyeliner is a popular choice, but if it's to cover up blemishes, try some coverup, any product you trust will work...

2) If you want to wear skirts and shtuff like that, yes you should shave your legs, the arms you could leave alone, but most girls I know shave their underarms

3) If you have nice curly hair, then leave it, it's probably prettier than any style today anyways

4) You can just wash your face with warm water, a cloth, and after words blot on some "olay refreshing toner"

hope this helps!

I, too, am not a girl. I'm going into 7th grade, though. Yes, I am straight.

1. Well, not a lot of girls use make-up. I think it's kind of hot when girls don't use it :angry: . Erm, anyways, if you feel worried about your blemishes, try to cover them up very subtly.

2. Yeah. If it's pretty bad, maybe you should. I know some girls who wear skirts that do. As far as products, I have no idea. If girls just use normal razors, I heard Proglide was pretty awesome. But the cuts are a lot worse too.

3. Do you know how many girls kill for a natural perm? Just leave your hair the way it is :furawatchi: .

4. I had a bit of acne. I used Proactive and it really works!

Stomachs were harmed in the making of this response.

1) No. Trust me, you are young enough that you do not need eyeliner, mascara, etc.... Concealer is good for covering up blemishes, though.

2) You don't have to, but it's a choice. Remember that if you start now you WILL need to continue though.

3) I have the same kind of hair and I like to wear it down, but then I'm not vain - not vain at all - again, your choice.

4) I can't answer this - I don't use anything. Sorry.

I just got out of middle school last school year ;]

1. I didn't start wearing makeup until eighth grade. I wouldn't at your age. If you want to, use some, but I would keep it kind of simple and appropriate for school. I use foundation to even out my skin. When I occasionally wear eyeshadow, I prime my eyelids with primer (Urban Decay primer potion). For eyeliner, I started with Revlon colorstay eyeliner, and I still use it. At first I just used eyeliner on the bottom, but after I got used to it I used it on top too. I use Urban Decay liquid liner for the top.

2. Well, I had P.E. everyday and had to wear shorts. I started shaving my legs when I entered middle school. For me, I don't really care what shaving cream/gel there is, but I stick to using Venus Vibrance razors.

3. Hair is something I wouldn't really worry about. I've had the same hairstyle for the longest time.

4. I haven't really had a lot of problems with acne, but I would suggest using a good acne moisturizer.

1. I wouldn't wear makeup, but that's just a personal thing. Didn't even think about it in middle school nor through high school or college, come to think of it. I don't wear make-up unless there's a wedding or something that I'm attending. I just kind of feel like my face would get caked in all this unnatural stuff no matter how much or how little I'm using and so I personally wouldn't recommend it. Besides, if you have acne, it would further irritate your skin.

2. Don't shave your arms. If you mean shaving your armpits though, yes, DO shave those. :eek: I just use a generic brand for the razor and plain old Dove soap. Shaving legs is fine, but if it's unnoticeable, I would just leave it (like if the color of your leg hair blends in with your skin). I've never shaved my legs because there's hardly any hair there, so I probably can't help you out too much with that.

3. I agree with BurntSnow's comment. :angry:

4. There probably is no BEST product out there, but definitely use something that has a bit of salicylic acid in it as an active ingredient. I normally use Clearasil. If you choose to wear makeup, wear less when you have breakouts, I guess.

Kudos to all the gentlemen here giving their two cents. :furawatchi:

1.) Makeup Is it a good idea for me to wear makeup? I have some blemishes and my mom says people will start making fun of me. Is it a good idea? And if so what are the best type of products?

NO. NONE. Only put on things that would cover the blemishes.

2.) Shaving I am starting to grow hair on my legs and arms. Will it be a good idea to shave around this time? And if so which products should I try?

SHAVE. You don't want to be that gross girl who has hairy pits when she raises her hands.

3.) Hair I have long, natrually curly hair and what are some hairstyles you suggest for me to try?

https://www.todayfm.com/Libraries/Gallery%2...%20spektor.sflb

btw, do not go into school thinking you're some kind of hot-shot 6th grader. Because you're not. The best thing to do is stay out of the 7th and 8th graders way. Or else.

im in eighth grade this year, and when i went into middle school my mom started buying me makeup. you should only wear it if you want to really.

if you plan on wearing skirts or shorts then shavig is probably a good idea if you have hairy legs like i did.

i dont bother with hairstyles even though my hair is past my waist (seriously) cause they take up to much of my time

1. I didn't use any makeup until eighth grade, and even then it was very little. You're still young yet, and applying makeup on your blemishes will only make them worse in time. If you do decide to put on makeup, that's totally fine and it's your choice, if it makes you feel more confident, go for it. Just remember that it will probably come off throughout the day, and you can either reapply or move on with you day, because likely no one even notices your acne in the first place.

2. Shave your legs and underarms, for sure. I started when I was 11. I don't recommend shaving arms though, it looks weird and doesn't grow back nicely. When you're shaving, a brand new razor is more prone to cut you, so go slow. Also, be careful around your knee and underneath it, as those are harder parts to shave.

3. I never do anything with my hair, so I'm no help here haha. You say that you have curly hair though, so I suggest just leaving it as it is. Volume and curls are something that many people want (including me!). If you want to try something different, straighten your hair or something, or look for some interesting braiding techniques or up-do's.

4. Acne is something I have a LOT of experience in, lol. To be honest, products differ from person to person, and even if you do find something that works, it's not going to make your face fantastic all the time. I've tried Proactiv, Clean and Clear, Clearasil, Nutrogena, eveything. They never worked much for me, but right now I'm using St.Ives and it's the best my skin has been in a while. (also because it's summer and the sun helps acne).

Before washing your face, try holding a hot cloth on it to open your pores. Then ideally, you want to wash your face with something that has salytic acid, as this further opens the pores. Then, apply a lotion of some kind or a treatment that has benzoyl peroxide to kill the acne bacteria. You could also try going to a doctor, and they can prescribe something based on your skin (whether it's more dry, oily, etc)

Sorry for the long reply, I hope this helped a bit and if you have more questions don't be afraid to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. If you want to wear make up, wear it. It's not something you can ask from others, it's your own decision! I started wearing make-up when I went to middle school, 'cause I felt like it. And I'm sure your mom can tell you what are the best type of products, mine did :huh:

2. Arms - Nope. Nobody I know shaves their arms. ._. That's just weird. Armpits though... And about your legs, if your leghair really shows up then yes. I started to shave my legs just a while ago. It's an amazing feeling ^^ Like you're all clean or something. And again, I think your mom can help you with the products.

3. Try different styles and see what you like the most :mellow:

4. I use Clearasil products and they work perfectly! :3

1. Make up;

Wear very little, like foundation (or 'cover up') and eyeshadow.

2. Shaving;

I have been shaving since 4th grade (INB4 ; WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU), and I only shaved my arms, underarms (so I wouldn't smell) and my legs.

I use skintamite (ugh, spelling) and a venus razor, I think.

I would suggest to not use veet... I have a v. bad experience from it. ._.

3. Hair;

Maybe you could scrunch it?

4. Acne;

Use proactive.

Yeah I agree with like everyone's answers :mimitchi:

So only wear makeup that can help cover blemishes, you don't want to look like this girl at my school that we call the Joker... :eek:

Shave because you are most likely going to be wearing shorts for PE as well and well yeah

I have curlyish hair too but I just put it in a ponytail because it's poofy : ( Mine isn't exactly curly yet but it will be when I'm older, so if you're hair is like frizzy or poofy you should get something that will ease the frizz or like leave in conditioner to make your hair look nice :D

Ugh I think that you should try and eat healthy (I'm NOT saying you eat bad or anything ;_ ;) but sometimes acne is cause by being like unhealthy and eating lots of fatty foods ( Like I do :D except I don't have acne yet..) and you should wash your face with those vibrating scrubber things that you see in commercials (they look fun... :lol: ) and use something like proactive : )

I'm going into 7th grade so I'm not that much of an expert but I'm just saying from recent experience

' Personally, I'm not a fan of make-up but, you can wear makeup if you want to, but keep it light and natural looking. Just a bit of mascara and eyeliner. You could use concealer to cover up your blemishes.

' Yes, shave. As for the products to use, your mom should be able to help you out there.

' I would love to have your hair. <3 Your could straighten it, and put it up some days. Thought the best hairstyle is to keep it down.

' Water and lots of sleep.

Your face gets acne when it's not moisturized. Sleep is very important also. So drink lots of wake and sleep lots.

Moisturizer and toner is also good for your face.

Don't ever buy cheap moisturizers, they most likely make your face break out more. I use Laneige Pore Clear Cleansing Foam, and Trouble Pore Toner. They are pretty expensive, but they're great. Laneige is a great company to buy face products from but remember different products work for different people.

Blackheads are the start of pimples. But whatever you do don't pop the blackheads, they leave your pores looking huge. Wash your face everyday, put on moisturizer and they should leave in a few days.

What you eat will reflect on your face.

Eating lots of junk food will most likely make you break-out. Maintain a healthy diet. Not diet as in to make you slimmer, a diet as in to stop eating as much junk food as you eat now. I'm not saying not to eat junk food, no. Just not as much as you do at the moment, around half as much as you do now. That does include fries, hamburgers, and all those fatty foods. Lots of vegetables and fruits.

There are lots of people on Youtube who are experts about acne, one of them is Bubbi. You can find her Channel here-

[x]

She is great, she's helped me out with my acne, and she's had experience with acne.

You can also find different hairstyles on her Channel, also some make-up stuff.

Another great person is Michelle Phan-

[x]

She mostly a make-up guru.

Good luck in Middle School, and have a great time there.

I've been through middle school, so I'd say I'm an expert. xD

For the whole makeup issue, i'd say to wait before you start wearing makeup. At that age, it's not necessary. I still don't wear any makeup, ever, and i'm going into my second year of high school. If you're worried about covering up acne, i wouldn't, because that just clogs your pores even more and causes more acne.

About shaving, if you're positive you're ready, then go for it. I started when i was in 6th grade. And if you start you have to keep up with it or else it'll be worse than before, so keep that in mind before you start.

I have long wavy/ curly hair, too, and I know it can be hard to manage. I just keep it natural because hair dryers and straightening irons damage hair and cause split ends. Also, I find it easier to keep it long, because i have super thick hair, but if you have thinner hair then it might work for you. If there's a sort of hair cut you want, go ahead and try it. Middle school's a great time to try new things. :)

I use clean and clear facial products to keep acne away, and you can get spot treatment to get rid of acne you already have. Just remember though, at that age, everyone has acne, and it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Soon enough you'll grow out of it, and will only get the occasional pimple.

-No comment for makeup-

In some countries girls don't shave, do it anyway, though. If you notice that you're growing hair, tell your mom to get a razor. It's puberty, everyone's different about when they... mature. I would suggest just putting on soap before you shave. Less cuts that way.

Why do you ask us how your hair should look? Go with whatever you think looks good on you.

About acne- ask a dermatologist, or skin doctor. Because most of the time, if you use the wrong medicine, it will irritate your skin and face. It's not pleasant. >.<

~ I didn't start wearing makeup until 8th grade, and even then I only used eyeliner and mascara. A lot of girls in middle school really overdo their makeup, but if you feel the need to wear some, keep it light. You don't need a lot, so don't use a lot.

~ If the hair under your arms and on your legs is noticeable, then you may want to consider shaving. I only shave my legs sporadically because the hair on them is blonde and unnoticeable. Besides, around here it's cold enough for pants most of the time.

~ I, too, have naturally curly hair, and mine was extremely long when I started middle school so I know exactly where you're coming from. Mine isn't incredibly thick, and I think I look better with shorter hair. Even if your hair is thick, my best friend has unthinkably thick and course hair that's naturally curly and even she can pull off a shorter hairdo. Both of us have our hair slightly past our shoulders with layers. This coming school year will actually be my freshman year in high school, so I was thinking of changing my own image a bit. Maybe on some days you could straighten your hair, some days keep it natural, and play around with some different styles. Try experimenting with ponytails and clips. Curly hair can look very nice on its own, but it's always fun to change around your style sometimes.

~ Acne can be pretty difficult to deal with. All throughout middle school, and to this day, I struggled with acne. I actually use a generic brand acne treatment. The cream helps to dry up the pimples so that they go away. And of course, it's important to wash your face daily to get rid of the dirt and germs from that day. Sometimes, acne can't really be helped. You're at the age where your body is changing and your hormones are raging. If you find that what you're doing isn't helping, you may want to consider seeing a dermatologist.

Make up really depends on how old you are. Like everyone else, I didn't start eyeliner until 8th grade - but in 7th grade I wore a light foundation to cover acne and to even out my skin tone. And lip gloss :) My school was 5-8th though. If you're starting middle school in 7th grade, i think it's fine to do make up - even eyeliner. Maybe not thick mascara, eyeshadow etc. Any younger, it would probably look like you're trying to hard.

OH: and about using make up to cover acne, you CAN use it without looking stupid, just make sure that you don't apply it too thick, and blend it in around other parts of your face so you don't look spotted. Don't try and completely hide the zit, cuz that WILL be too thick. You can make it a little less red though :p

Find a shade that matches you really well, and consult someone really good at applying makeup, to help you do it really well.

Shaving - by middle school, no matter how old you are, I would say it's time to start. If you're at least 10 or 11 years old, I think you're ready to shave under your arms and your legs, at least up to your knees. If you don't care about your legs too much, that's your choice, but you MIGHT get called out for it. Under your arms, i would say is a MUST. Nuff said. All over your arms though - **I** don't do that, and I don't think many people do. It's usually not necissary and ends up growing back strange.

I have curly hair - but I'm 1/2 jamacian so it's that kind of curly though. Not to bring race into it but it would differ in terms of what kind of curls u have :D I suggest conditioning it A LOT, and using some leave-ins. High pony-tails look good, or just leaving it out if it's not too tangled :p

Acne - I used Proactiv when I first started breaking out, it worked great for years, only recently did I need to get prescription cream to help. If you only have a couple of pimples, and not like huge patches of acne on your face, Nutrogena, or Clean and Clear, Clearasil - these should work fine. But everyone in middle school has acne TRUST ME. you'll be fine.

Good luck - middle school was like the BEST time of my life! ;)

1.) If you get zits so much/bad that you have to cover them up, don't overdo it :0

2.) If you're getting hair, you could decide to shave it! It's not really worth it if you're not getting hair.

3.) I just brush my hair and wash it. That's enough.

4.) I have no idea.

1. I didn't really start wearing makeup until 8th grade. It was just some light eyeliner. I'm going into highschool and I just wear mascara now (I find it easier then doing my makeup every morning) So that might be a good starting point :) If you have acne you could always just use concealer.

2. If your wearing skirt or something that exposes your legs, it may be a good idea. If you dont have a lot of hair and just wear jeans everyday, It's not a huge deal to shave. I just used a razor. I stared when I was about 12.

3. I straighten my hair (My natural/wavy hair is an absolute mess.. D:) and sometimes I put it up in a messy bun. You really dont want to be spending hours on your hair to go to school, so just keep it simple

4. Ah, acne. Products work differently for different people. I'm currently using St Ives scrub, and some Stridex pads. My face always seems to have a few pimples (4-6) that just never clear up, no matter what product I use. If your acne is really bad, you could always see a doctor so they can find a treatment for you. Remember, when you get bored in class, do NOT pick your face. I did this a ton, and it made it a lot worse. It also leads to acne scars.

I'm in high school (10th Grade)

Middle school advice:

This is usually the time where our bodies start to change as we grow older. I'm a guy btw

Shaving is a must

Acne is prevented by washing your face every morning and night. There are products too that really help out.

As for style and make up, just be yourself! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back