Really don't like the Tama-Go

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicefly

Reaction score
Hi guys, there seems to be a lot of love for the new Tama-Go around here recently, but I feel left out because I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

I live in the UK, so they aren't available here yet, but I almost bought one online for about £40. Before I paid, I thought I'd better make sure I really wanted to spend that much, and I did some research. Now I'm glad I didn't buy one, nor do I think I will be buying one.

There are a few things I've found which (to me) just seem really disappointing. Fistly, appearence-wise:

-I liked the old, flat Tamagotchi design- it's much easier to carry around than this bulky round one. I'm 21, so I want something small and discreet I can clip onto my handbag without drawing attention to it. I also loved being able to choose from many different colourful and interesting designs that covered the whole unit, rather than just having a plain colour shell with a cheap-looking card faceplate on the front.

-Which brings me to my second point. It looks quite cheaply made compared with other versions. I watched several video reviews, and read some blogs, and I heard that not only does the clear cover scratch really easily (I would hate that) but the plastic chain is also flimsy and breaks a lot.

-I've seen a lot of videos of them on Youtube where the owner has removed the faceplate and cover alltogether, and it just looks really ugly underneath. It makes me wonder whether the facings were just annoying to have on, or whether, like I mentioned above, they just got scratched too much. I know it wasn't for filming purposes because there are some good quality videos filmed through the plastic cover.

Then, in terms of gameplay:

-I'm disappointed that there is no naming option. Coming up with a name for your newly hatched pet was fun, and made it feel much more like something you could get attatched to.

-It's frustrating that you have to splash out and buy figurines to get more than two games. It just seems like they're trying to suck the money out of us. Although I think the scope for expansion with this is good, I also think it was much better when the Tamagotchi was a self-contained unit, and you didn't have to worry about carrying other bits and pieces around with it.

-Oh, and on the topic of figurines, if you're like me and you're busy going to uni/work (or school) every day, and you want to just be able to play games to make your pet happy quickly when you get a few minutes, you don't have time to be messing around attatching figures to get to the game you want. And having just two in-built games seems really stingy to me. I also think the little travelling animations are bad for this reason. It's hard to quickly sneak in a quick game when you have to watch the Tama walking to the game shop, or to the figurine town.

-Shoot the bug? Why? Those poor bugs :) (Sorry, not really a point, it just seems really mean <_< ) Who shoots bugs? XD

-Where I think the gradient idea for the pixels is good, it just feels pointless when they could just give us colour instead.

-There's no Tama school or work? That's kind of a step backwards. Those were really good features.

-The characters I've seen on the Tama-Go look kind of ugly. It's only my opinion, but I think the babies just don't look cute at all! I miss the old little blobs we used to know and love :)

-Apparently if you use the PC option and play online, you just get swamped by people asking for items.

Maybe I'm wrong, and if I played with one it might grow on me, but from where I'm standing now, I just feel really disappointed. They look simple, cheap, and like they could have been an older, lesser version that didn't quite work out.

I think they should brink back the old, colourful designs; it's so much more fun and personal when you can pick from all the different ones available, and search for new ones online. I think the newer Tamas like the colour, the ID, and the Tama-go lack that aspect, and it was one of my favourite things about Tamagotchis. Take the ID for example- does anybody actually have any desire to collect all of the colours? They're too plain. Whereas you can see a pretty Tama in a shop and think 'that looks really cool, I want it!' purely for the design and collectability appeal it brings.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Fair enough if you disagree, but it's going to take a lot of persuasion to make me want a Tama-Go.

It makes me sad that Tamagotchis have gone in this direction, because it looks like Bandai might just start expanding on this new concept, rather than making new ones based on the older, better-looking Tamas.

I completely understand your reasons. I grew up with the '90s Tamagotchis as well (hence the reason behind my user name :) ) and will always have a place deep in my heart for them. They will always be among the greatest Tamagotchis ever, no question. I always say, "Remember your roots."

If you asked me to play with the Connections 2 or 3 years ago, my answer would have been something along the lines of "Connect-a-whaty?" or "Dream on, I'm probably never going to collect any of the Connections. There's just too much." I tried my hand at a V4 several years ago and sold it back, thinking that Tamagotchis have departed wayyyyy past their humble beginnings. I was also in college at the time, so I didn't have time to rack up GP or handle the jobs/games/Tama Town/etc., like you.

As time went by, times changed, more and more people started playing with Connections and, wanting to understand but still not fully convinced of these so-called awesome new features, I started doing research bit by bit. A big part of the reason why I slowly (and I do mean REALLY slowly) got into the newer Tamagotchis was because of the strong desire to help people out with their pets on here, and there's no way I could do that if I'm always stuck in my old ways. So I started with the TMGC+C mainly because it is a newer one but it was a self-contained system, meaning that I would not have to go onto Tama Town or anything like that to have fun with it. I fell in love with it because of its simplicity, surprisingly (and, of course, because it's in color). It was an homage to the vintage Tamagotchis, with some new features added in. The Tama-Go is said to be similar to the TMGC+C, so it is probably simple in the vintage way as well. A few weeks ago, I bought my first Music Star, and I must say that I'm quite enjoying it so far, even the Tama Town aspect of it. Here I am now, with a V3 in my possession and 2 V1s on the way (I got these because they're the closest among the Connections to the vintage Tamagotchis you can get). I will ALWAYS be an old-school gal, but I can't deny that Bandai has come a very long way with some of these great features.

Regarding the Tama-Go, yes, it is clunky and yes, it scratches easily. I miss the pocket-sized critters we all know and love. If you're willing to overlook that though, at least a little bit, I'm sure it would be a great Tamagotchi nonetheless. :) It's just like protecting any other electronic product you might own: some are more sturdy than others and if you do your best to take care of it, it will last longer for you. The Tama-Go may look boring compared to the other designs out there, but I'm pretty sure Bandai is not stopping here. There will probably be new waves of the Tama-Go coming out. Regarding features: all I can say is, you win some, you lose some. It probably wouldn't be practical from a financial standpoint if Bandai included all the characters, games, features, etc. into one Tamagotchi. Same idea with the color: people may want to shell out $50-60 for a color Tamagotchi in Japan, but there's just no market for that here. Speaking of money, yes, that is exactly what Bandai wants to do with releasing probably about 100 of the figurines. Bandai is a company like any other, trying to stay alive and make money. C'est la vie!

Long story short, I feel you completely. These are all great points and just know that the Tama-Go (or any product, for that matter) is never going to completely satisfy everyone in the world. I would reserve judgment until after playing with one though. Who knows? It may grow on you! As a side note, have you read binary's log on his first look at the Tama-Go: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/index.php?showtopic=169097? It's a lengthy but great read and maybe it'll give you a better idea of what the Tama-Go is like, past all the superficial stuff like size, design, overall look (not that those aren't all important aspects :ph34r: ) and into the meat and potatoes of what it's really all about. Great discussion post! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"I'm disappointed that there is no naming option. Coming up with a name for your newly hatched pet was fun, and made it feel much more like something you could get attatched to."
Reply: You can give your Tamagotchi a name, and there is a username thing for your own name.

"It's frustrating that you have to splash out and buy figurines to get more than two games. It just seems like they're trying to suck the money out of us. Although I think the scope for expansion with this is good, I also think it was much better when the Tamagotchi was a self-contained unit, and you didn't have to worry about carrying other bits and pieces around with it."
Reply: If you have not noticed. Some of those figurines have glitches(take my kutchipatchi "lite" for example. It glitches out 2 games and 3 characters if you fool around with it long enough...so look around the forums for them. and as OldSchoolTama has said. Yes. There is also a binary.

"Oh, and on the topic of figurines, if you're like me and you're busy going to uni/work (or school) every day, and you want to just be able to play games to make your pet happy quickly when you get a few minutes, you don't have time to be messing around attatching figures to get to the game you want. And having just two in-built games seems really stingy to me. I also think the little travelling animations are bad for this reason. It's hard to quickly sneak in a quick game when you have to watch the Tama walking to the game shop, or to the figurine town.
-Shoot the bug? Why? Those poor bugs ohmy.gif (Sorry, not really a point, it just seems really mean tongue.gif) Who shoots bugs? XD"
Reply: Well you just answered that yourself. If you don't have time, at least you have two games already on your Tamagotchi.

"-Where I think the gradient idea for the pixels is good, it just feels pointless when they could just give us colour instead."
Reply: Bandai Japan over-rules Bandai America. So they can't do colored pixels yet which is most likely the reason why.

"-Apparently if you use the PC option and play online, you just get swamped by people asking for items."
Reply: Well that depends on how much you want to interact with those people.

However even though I do agree with you both on the vintage Tamagotchis. The Tama-go is growing on me. I don't like most of the other versions do to the fact it has a little antennae popping out the side.

Alicefly, I agree with everything you say.

tama-go seems like a burden. I am also an older adult, being 23, not wanting something hanging around that's almost the size of my friggin head it's ridiculous!

It seems it would be for the ages of 3 or 4 to like 11 or 12. I love connection v1-v4.5, I own the ones on my avatar.

:lol:

I will never get the tama-go. Unless it was the only way to save the world.

POWER TO THE TAMALOVERS!!!! :lol: :) :) :) :) :ph34r:

I think you are completely entitled to an opinion. but I am afraid I completally disagree. the tamago might be large and all that but when you get past that the gameplay is amazing! vintage are great dont get me rong but for most when buying a tama (especially new people) thay want one that people can talk about. and as for the figures think of it this way, when tamagotchis are discontinued you will have loads of figures to collect! so honistaly give the tamago a chance its alot better in person.

well i just bought a tamago two days ago. And yes the lens does scratch easily, but take it off the tama go and ( i know this sounds crazy) rub a bit of tooth paste on it and wash it off (and repeat it a few more times) it can clean the screen and take some of the scratches off.

And also, if you buy one extra figurine, you will actually have 5 games altogether (the ones that come with it, the one that comes with the "lite" figurine and the two new games from the new figurine). Which is exactly the same amount as most of the tamagotchi connections.

Oh and i wouldn't worry about the PC people nagging you for items, you can just tell them to go away :)

And i like the big chunky style of it. It is actually not as big as most people are saying (i thought it was pretty small to be honest). I found that with the previous connextion versions, It didnt fit in my hand nice, this one does.

What i am trying to say is, that it is REALLY fun and not as crap as people are making it out to be, So dont make your judgment just from the bad stuff :)

the best color to me would be black.

well, its my favorite color for most things. :)

if it were in front of me, id play and see what all the fuss is about i guess. sofar, yes. i love the awesome connections. the designs are awesome!

i have 5 connections, 3 v4.5s, 1 v2, and 1 v4. my favorite out of all would be the v2 (my avatars show my bundle), but neither one I chose myself so theyre not really my color.

but anyways, it would be a game id keep at home, and the figures are so cute id put em up around my room for design as well. like statues or something.

if i had one, id save it for a future daughter. maybe it was judgemental saying the 'save the world' stuff. i am slightly curious, but i think im sticking with my pocket babies.

to everyone else, if you got your go, enjoy!!

Wow, it's interesting to hear some of you opinions on the negatives :) I understand there are good points as well- I'm just having a hard time deciding whether the pros outweigh the cons.

I'm not strictly a vintage Tamagotchi lover- I like the P1 and P2 a lot, but my favourites so far are the Music Star and V4.5.

I think some of my bad feelings for the Tama-Go are coming from my experience with the Familitchi. I was very disappointed with the style of the Familitchi- being unable to name the individual Tamas made them seem disconnected and impersonal from me, and it was hard to get attatched to them individually, especially because they evolved and changed so quickly. And the style of the Tama-Go seems to have some similarities to the Familitchi- like having more Hunger/ Happiness hearts (and the check-up menu in general being not dissimilar), and some of the characters look like they might be from the Familitchi. Although I have been debating whether or not to start up my Familitchi again and give it a second chance.

@OldSchoolTama: I did read Binary's blog, it was very useful. It was one of the blogs which made the Tama-Go seem more appealing, and was origially the reason I wanted to buy one.

I can see that most of you understand where I'm coming from, but you still seem to be enjoying the Tama-Go. Perhaps I will always be curious unless I just splash out and buy one. At least for collection's sake.

As a side note, I did see the advertisment for the competition to win a Swarovski crystal-encrusted Tama-Go, and THAT looked awesome XD

And i like the big chunky style of it. It is actually not as big as most people are saying (i thought it was pretty small to be honest). I found that with the previous connextion versions, It didnt fit in my hand nice, this one does.
I find it like that too! The pictures make it look big, but I don't actually think its that big.

I very much agree with most of what the original poster has said.

(Except the part about Tamagotchis going to work/school. I personally didn't care for that feature. I never felt the need to use it. XD)

To simply state my own opinion:

Tama-Go is just so much the opposite of what I like in a Tamagotchi.

The size really really isn't a bother to me. I'm 21 and carry it around in my hands... Although I have also made a million pouches to carry it in since I got it August 5th, I am still deathly in love with it.

:p https://myfigurecollection.net/picture/1122...AEasternPassion

This is my image to compare the general sizes of Tamagotchi.

The figurines, like I said the other day... Cheaper in the long run to make. They can also put updates into those puppies if they decide to... They are really worth buying. If you get the character you have a figurine to (The sold separatly ones) you can run thier shop or restarunt. Then earn money from the people buying in the stores.... Then many of the figures have two games on them. (Like if you have a Violetchi character in the Tama-Go itself and the Violetchi figure, you can run and earn money that way too...)

Yes the screens can get scratched easily but this can be easily fixed. Buy a smart phone or nintendo DS cover and cut to size of the screen. But putting them in pouches also helps pervent them... such as a camera holder or cell phone pouch.

Designs, you can always make your own... Cutting them to fit the holes is a trick without a hole puncher but it works too. They don't look cheap to me.

The cost on one hand, I know you have shipping to deal with... I would buy one on ebay and hope to catch one cheap enough so the import tax or whatever doesn't bite ya.... You know what I mean.

Another thing to mention about the "keychain part" It is NOT meant for you to carry it as you normally would. It is meant to hold the tamagotchi figures on the ball chain loop.... As many who have tried ended up dropping the tama-go. Not many people have picked up on this... As well as its a softer chain and not metal that really would have clawed the screen. If you really wanted to "keychain" it to something I would highly recommend a pouch again so it could dangle without getting scratched. Then put a keychain (If not included) on that and carry that instead....

Personally I have my figures in another pouch to carry them with me. Keeping in mind that the sensors, if they get dirty can lead to mis-readings between the senors. (Not badly, but they could resort into not being read) I'm surprised they didn't make covers for Those ... Just one big box thing that is suppose to be "cool" to carry around... I doubt I'd see a kid carrying those either...

Hey guyz, okay so ive read your thoughts on the tama-go and even though i dont have one im just wondering why u guyz dont like it when u havent even tried it yet???? I mean my friend Kuchipatchi love is gonna get one pretty soon and she thinks its gonna be awesome!!!

I dont see the problem with them to be honest their just like any other tama except they have less features and r a little bit more bulky. Im not gonna get one for the plain simple reason that i cant afford one right now plus im happy with my ver4.5. Sorry if u get mad at me for this post, but im just posting my opinions and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Okay that all soz to dampen things a little bit but seriously give it a try before you say anything!!

Memetchi7

I don't own one, even though I would love to! In my opinion, I think perhaps you should try and give it a chance. People say it's not as bad as you think, maybe you're judging too hard :huh: It's not really fair when you haven't necessarily played with one. Again, my opinion. Your mind could always change :eek:

Im 21 and i just bought a tamago. yea the bigger it is could be unpractical, but it still fits in my purse and i could care less. although all i want is the tamagotchi i.d now ive been dreaming of a color screen tama since i was a kid, this one is still fun. the music star one is the worst in my opinion, i just like to take care of a tamagotchi who cares if it is forced to play music... but i got to turn over the plate it comes with and decorate my own, so now my tamagotchi is just me. i like that its bigger, more people will notice it and maybe go get one to. cheaply made, i think its made just like the others, :)

After finally seeing one in person, I wasn't too thrilled with the Tamago either. It is way too bulky, and it's not even in color. And you have to buy all the different characters to get different games. That would get costly very quickly. However, since you buy the different characters, you only need one device, and you can choose the shell color you prefer.

I am going to buy a Tama-Go even though I have heard that some features are not fantastic- I have a record- I collect them- and if I really don't like it- I will sell it on Trademe. However, I doubt that this is the case- I feel that the good outweighs the bad in this Tama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back