How did you first hear of Tamagotchi?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robodog

Reaction score
The topic title says it all. How'd you first learn about Tamas or VPets?

My story may be a little odd. You see, I didn't hear about Tamagotchi first. My first encounter with Virtual Pets involved Giga Pets. My half sister was in town with my niece. We ended up at the mall ( me, my sister, my niece and my mom ) and my sister wanted to stop by Kay Bee Toys and pick up a Giga Pet for my niece since her old one stopped working or something. They explained the concept to me and I have to admit I thought it was a stupid idea at the time. Why would I want to care for a bunch of pixels shaped like an animal? I remember thinking it would be better if it were a more physical creature like a robot instead of a creature on a small keychain. Yeah, basically I thought up something like Furby before Furby actually came out. I was about 18 or 19 at the time.

So Furby did come out a year or so later. It was the kind of thing I wanted when I first heard of virtual pets and I promptly fell hard into the whole VPet thing. During my searches for Furby info on the web I kept hearing mention of Tamagotchi. Curious, I started looking at Tamagotchi sites and realized I kind of wanted one. I was still skeptical but by that time Tamagotchis were on clearance so buying a few wouldn't really cost much. If I didn't like them it wouldn't be that big a loss. Turns out I did like them though. Aside from robotic pets like Furby and Poo-Chi I also started collecting keychain VPets. I had Tamagotchis, Giga Pets, Some Buzz Lightyear VPet thingy, Pocket Pikachu pedometer pets and a Nano Puppy. I no longer have them. Though I love Tamagotchi I think I miss Nano Puppy most of all my keychain pets. He was awesome!

My cousin in Korea had this flip open transparent purple multipet where you choose different pets. Then, later that day, we went to Lotte or another store to get actual Tamagotchis. My cousin got one that either looked like this or something else that looked similar. And this is mine. The instruction manual was the best part. It was shaped like Tamagotchi and in full color. It was made of laminated paper and the cover also looked like a Tamagotchi with my colors. Showed a baby boy hatching out of an egg.

I was on the hunt for something to keep me occupied a long time ago, mum asked me if I wanted a tamagotchi, I said "no, all they do is eat sleep and poop" So, I got one just to torture it When the egg hatched I don't remember what i named it but I thought it was kind of cute So I took care of it, it evolved I thought it was even cuter so I took care of it, ect. and then i got more which brought me into the tama craze.

Good question :) my friend Jennie played with them and I think I got one either a month before my birthday in 3rd grade or ON my birthday, from her. My twin sister also got one, and we both loved then. Mine was a v4, the red one with the light yellow buttons and the yellow ball on the antenna :) i think part of the reason i loved tamas was because i had my sister to share them with. I played with them on-and-off up until the start of 6th grade, so about 2 and a half years. Now I don't feel like playing with the pets anymore, like the fail tama-go, so I just go on tamatown. :)

I was 6 years old, me and my little sister went to the markets. We saw some V1 tamagotchis for only $2 each. We bought them and enjoyed them, even though they are the most boring thing ever. When I was 8 years old, these girls at school has some V3 and V4 tamagotchis. I tried to connect with them, but it wouldn't work. So me and my sister bought some V4 tamagotchis. We connected, and I kept buying newer and newer versions. Right now I have a v3, v4, v5 and v6.

I was pretty young, I think about 10 or 11. My best friends sister had a dark blue V3 and she was always playing with it except she didn't take very good care. :( But anyway, one day my best friend took it from her sisters room and played with it. I was over at the time and i was very interested in what they did.

I had also seen other people around my school carrying V3s and V2s and i kept begging them to let me play with theirs! And that's what got me into tamagotchi. But before that i also had a Princess Max and one of those LPS digital pet thingies. Plus a Pixel Chix. So i have always loved virtual pets as you can tell, and so that is the story of how i got into Tamagotchi!

The End.

Sakura-san123 ♥

I was around 6-7 years old when I first heard about them.

We were visiting our cousins in New Jersey and showed us their Tamagotchis. Me and my brothers were like "WOAH!!!". A year later, me, my brothers, and my dad went to Wal-Mart and spotted some V3s. And obviously, we bought them. I got a pink V3 with hearts and silver buttons. My brothers got a green V3 with an awesome reptile skin-like design, and I forgot what my other brother got. Something blue, I think. :huh:

I've loved Tamagotchis ever since.

My cousin in Korea had this flip open transparent purple multipet where you choose different pets. Then, later that day, we went to Lotte or another store to get actual Tamagotchis. My cousin got one that either looked like this or something else that looked similar. And this is mine. The instruction manual was the best part. It was shaped like Tamagotchi and in full color. It was made of laminated paper and the cover also looked like a Tamagotchi with my colors. Showed a baby boy hatching out of an egg.
Is the tama and everything in Korean? :eek:

I had known about tamas for a while, my older sister had a gigapet though. I'm pretty sure I had a tamagotchi some time in my childhood, but I can't remember. When the Connections were released in Japan, I found out a bit after they had. Then I followed the US release and bought a V1 on release day. I was in 6th grade at that time, and I loved that tama even though I was forced to buy a purple one because it was the only one left. From there it all just snowballed, though today I find myself appreciating the vintage tamas over the newer ones. I'm thinking of getting a V1 V2 or V3 sometime soon, just for some memories, but I'm not all too sure.

When I was seven or eight I think, and this one girl came to school with five or six of them on her belt loop. I was utterly bamboozled at the appeal of these at first until suddenly everyone had them.

For the longest time, my parents wouldn't let me have one, saying it was a waste of money. Eventually I got one. And then another. And then two more heheh.

I had a lot of fun with them and they were great companions, especially for young and bored people. It was always heart breaking when they died, but then I'd get a new egg and the excitement would begin all over, "Which one will it be?!!"

Oh fun ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back