Discussing tutorials and guides to help improve RPing

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tech Admin

UPDATED POST!

I wanted to start a new topic to allow discussions that began here regarding setting up guidelines and tutorials that can help improve the quality of RPs here.

I am going to move posts from the other topic here so this important conversation can continue in its own space.

---previous post---

As far as resources and samples gomaybe we should start a new topic to discuss some good starting points for what might help people learn more (experienced or not) about the level/quality of rping you would like to see here.

Last edited:
Well, so far we have the guidelines that are up with the rules... I've seen a lot of roleplay sites that have forums such as 'RP Acadamy' where they post tutorials and guides - kinda like the one that Runner posted not so long ago - on things such as character development, so we could maybe have something like that going?

Just jumping in here -- I'd love to see an example role-play, with everything that you'd normally see in a RP with fake usernames and such. You could add notes in a different colour as to things that you should do when starting an RP, you know, have a good plot, rules, etc. You could even have an example reply with a form and notes on how you should answer. If you had enough time, point out the immediate differences from beginner, intermediate and advanced RPs so people know what they're getting themselves into. Maybe even more examples? I like examples.

Well, so far we have the guidelines that are up with the rules... I've seen a lot of roleplay sites that have forums such as 'RP Acadamy' where they post tutorials and guides - kinda like the one that Runner posted not so long ago - on things such as character development, so we could maybe have something like that going?
I agree, I actually want to make a part two of that character guide- one on character looks do and don'ts, and basically anything else I forgot to put in that guide.

I wouldn't mind making a guide based on some other stuff, too.

And I think MissInnocent's idea is awesome, too. A fake roleplay would be good, complete with good, nonsue characters and a good example of how to properly RP.

Right here, as tamaturtle mentioned. They discuss word play, character creation, describe what roleplay is, etc. But, we should also add in writing prompts. I also notice many roleplays don't have that great of character skeletons, and they show those here too. I find this site VERY resourceful, and it's where I learned most of my roleplaying.

In my opinion, these are things to keep in mind when roleplaying in ANY genre of roleplay:

- The five senses (Touch, Sight, Hearing, Taste, Smell)

Describe all of those in one post, and you can generally get something lengthy.

- Metaphors, similes, etc.

If you're more of a poet, describe things in metaphors and similes. It adds a somewhat poetic touch, and it's a bit more refreshing to read than 'She crossed the busy street.'

- Feelings

I really hate seeing 'She was sad.' Describe why your character is feeling the way they're feeling. No one wants to read they have a stick up their butt for no good reason. Let your character be a journal, a venting outlet. Allow yourself to pour whatever you are feeling into that character. Makes it much more real and interesting to read. It doesn't make them sound fake, but instead realistic, like a person you could relate to in school.

- Quality over quantity

Everyone is like LOLNOPOSTSHAVETOBELONG. No, you do not need a long post for it to be good. I've been to professional roleplays where they dish out a paragraph and it's like magic. You honestly can't take quantity too seriously. Quality is what matters, and there should not be a word count, shouldn't be restrictions on how much someone is to write.

That's it when it comes to posting.

When making a roleplay:

- Interesting topic title, fresh idea

We don't need five high school roleplays, seriously. Make each one different, fun, exciting too. Get a topic title that isn't the name of the school. The more interesting the title, the more people want to see it. I generally use song lyrics, or famous quotes, because people notice those and want to see what it's all about.

- Character Skeletons

Should at LEAST cover the basics. Some of the ones on here are small, and it's bothersome, because you never find out about the character. Character driven RPs are good and bad- good for experienced, bad for unexperienced. It gets to be quite bothersome, because without knowing a characters personality, they can waver and you can get confused. Appearance should be pictures or lengthy description at the least. It's definitely hard to do that though.

- Words counts, etc

You should not be expecting the people who join your roleplay to write novels, because they won't. You take the creativity from them and push them, and then suddenly they don't want to do it anymore, and might quit.

- Time limits

24 hours after you make a sheet and you don't post, get out. That's what I think it should be, unless you contact the creator stating otherwise. Then you just waste space in the RP for posting once and never posting again. Dedication is needed.

That's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a suggestion about new RPs.

It is a little irritating if the topic starter outlines the situation, summarises the plot, posts a form to fill out, requires believable character details and development, gives the RP guidelines and then writes...

"I'll post mine later when someone else has replied with their form...".

What....? >_

Experienced RPers - please, lead by example. Your friends will probably want to join and new members might want to see what you expect from a form - your own submission is the template by which others will also be judged.

Just a suggestion about new RPs.

It is a little irritating if the topic starter outlines the situation, summarises the plot, posts a form to fill out, requires believable character details and development, gives the RP guidelines and then writes...

What....? >_<

Experienced RPers - please, lead by example. Your friends will probably want to join and new members might want to see what you expect from a form - your own submission is the template by which others will also be judged.
I don't really agree. If someone wants to join a role play at that level, then it is assumed that they have at least a bit of experience, or they know what is happening. Sometimes, when you make your own RP, you make a new character for it, and you want to see if the RP would go somewhere before you put the effort in. Also, it gives you a chance to figure out exactly where the RP is going, by looking at other people's characters and their traits. Ultimately, it just depends on the poster and what they want to do.

On the tutorials, I think that a mini-academy would be good - maybe just pinned topics in this forum, but it could be another forum. Members could post their own topics on specific aspects of RPing, which are posted after approval from a guide If not, then wednesdaysun's guide is good, so a topic explaining all of these in detail would be good.

I don't really agree. If someone wants to join a role play at that level, then it is assumed that they have at least a bit of experience, or they know what is happening. Sometimes, when you make your own RP, you make a new character for it, and you want to see if the RP would go somewhere before you put the effort in. Also, it gives you a chance to figure out exactly where the RP is going, by looking at other people's characters and their traits.

OK - I see what you're saying.

In which case, I have a question. If you're making a new RP at that level, then surely you've already put quite a bit of effort into it?

Is it really true that you don't have any clear idea of where you want to see the RP go - shouldn't your own completed form act as a kind of clue for others and help them develop characters and traits that will compliment your RP? Doesn't it also show a commitment to your own idea and the wish for it to succeed as an RP?

Everytime I see someone map out a good RP scenario and promise to post their form later, it just looks like they don't have the confidence in their own RP or their own abilities to complete the form. Successful new characters can also be used in other RPs, so if it is good and lots of effort has gone into them then it's not a waste, is it?

But.. that's just the way it appears to me... and it's just a suggestion, so, maybe I am the only one that gets this kind of impression =)

I was also going to suggest a quick scan through the OOC subforum. Several members wrote some quite good tips and guides for participating in RPs there which could be used to help members improve their RP experience.

Actually, I just don't post my form in my RP because I don't want to kill my eyes anymore than I already have by sitting and staring at my computer for 50 minutes posting an RP. I do it later, also so I can decide which character to use for this certain RP. Form making takes time too, which is why, I, as an RP maker, choose to do it later. I get the feeling some other people might have this too.

Sometimes, I also don't post my form in the RP I make because I'm one of those people who believe in reverse psychology. If you pretend like you have no confidence in your RP and that you think nobody will join, I've found that people will join (xDD). Odd, but it works.

I wrote up this a while back. It's a bit of tips I made in an effort to get a nice group discussion on tips and tricks of the RPing trade.

Not the most successful endeavor.

But feel free to use any of that in a tutorial or guide, if you do I'd feel all warm and fuzzly and happy 'cause I helped out. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back