historical fiction, anyone?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wednesdaysun

Reaction score
Me being me, I am a HUGE history nerd. I read books that date from Plantagenet England up until the Victorians. Just wanted to know if anyone else was into historical novels (or period films, those are amazing) like myself. :)

I like historical fiction. I don't have a particular period style that I like, but at the moment I am re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird. Though, Honestly any story is good so long as it grips me and pulls me in! :)

-Purn

I like historical fiction. I don't have a particular period style that I like, but at the moment I am re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird. Though, Honestly any story is good so long as it grips me and pulls me in! :)

-Purn
ive seen the film of to kill a mockingbird its a really lovly little film you should watch it

Yes, it is. In the early 17th century, Japan adopted strict isolation policies and severed almost all ties with foreign countries. In 1853, the US fleet commanded by Admiral Perry forced the doors open, leading to a modernization of the nation's sociopolitical systems and the eventual fall of the Shogunate. The samurai regime ended its life with the imperial restoration in 1868. That's what history tells, but in Gintama, that's not what happens. Instead of the US fleet, the country is stormed by spaceships coming from four corners of the universe and soon we see it occupied by extraterrestrials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is. In the early 17th century, Japan adopted strict isolation policies and severed almost all ties with foreign countries. In 1853, the US fleet commanded by Admiral Perry forced the doors open, leading to a modernization of the nation's sociopolitical systems and the eventual fall of the Shogunate. The samurai regime ended its life with the imperial restoration in 1868. That's what history tells, but in Gintama, that's not what happens. Instead of the US fleet, the country is stormed by spaceships coming from four corners of the universe and soon we see it occupied by extraterrestrials.

OK - I see what you mean. :)

For me, that just described what I would consider Historical Fanatasy. (You have to admit, that storyline does deviate significantly from established historical events. Historical Fiction is of course a story and allows some artistic licence - but I've never taken it to go as far as encompassing alien invasion! XD

So is Gintama more science fiction? Having a debate with my friends about that XD

*Back to the topic, I have always loved historical fiction, science fiction, and comedy. Gintama happens to be all three! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back