What's so great about Vintage Tamas?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like vintage Tamas?

• Never tried them, they sound good but I just don't have the money!

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Never tried them, but I don't want one because they sound bad.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Yes!!! They rock!!!!!!! I don't like anything else!

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • They're my favourites, but I like some others too.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • They're OK I guess. Maybe a bit boring and lacking in features.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, I don't like them much at all. I much prefer some of the newer versions.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I don't really get why so many people like vintage Tamas. I have an Angelgotchi, and the most fun thing to me was colouring it in purple. I did try playing it, but the pixels were too big and it couldn't ever get married even if I reached adulthood without a bat swooping in and grabbing all my Training points. I'm not a '90's kid, I was born in 2001, and most kids of my generation are into the iPod craze. My family is behind by about ten years on the current trends, which is why I'm into Tamas at all. But I seem to be the only kid on here beside people who've never tried them to like Vintage Tamas! Please asnwer the Poll but reply in your own words too.

~ Dazzmina

Hello dazzilitchigirl! :hanatchi:

Personally, I believe the reason behind Tamagotchi Collectors/Owners speaking highly of the vintage figures is simply because they are vintage. They were the first of their kind to be released to the public, and they are the main reason behind our craze and obsession. :blink:

I doubt it's due to how they function, because I must admit that the more recent models are far more interesting, so I'll just keep my answer as that. They were the first in the series, hence why they receive so much approval. :newmametchi:

There are two answers that are the same in the first question of the poll and I imagine that I'd be picking one of the two: the one stating that I have more than one and that I like them all. ;) I have all ancestor Tamagotchis except for the Santaclautch (I am planning on getting one someday) and Yasashii (not sure if I'm going to get this one). They will always have a special place in my heart because I was a '90s gal and I grew up with them, but I have branched out in recent years. Those are my answers to your poll.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I can't speak for others who enjoy the vintage Tamagotchis but for me, they're the ones that started it all and there's a simplicity about them that can't be matched. Also, the Angel isn't the only one that's out there. There's something out there for everyone if you're talking about the vintage Tamagotchis in general. Though the Angelgotch is adorable, it's pretty low-maintenance when compared to others out there. Again, it depends on the person, but the low-maintenance deal with the Angel could be an enjoyable thing, or not. Each vintage Tamagotchi has a set of different characters, others have a motion sensor, and yet others might have a certain theme (like ocean, forest, Christmas, etc.).

I was kind of like you, except in the opposite manner. I couldn't quite figure out what the hype was about all the Connection versions. I even tried playing with one when I got back into Tamagotchis. Didn't like it much. I gave it another shot a few years later and now I'm collecting more and more Connections and enjoying them too. The more I read about the versions I don't yet have, the more I know about them and the more chances I have of liking them. The Connections are not my favorites, but I do enjoy the different features they have. The same could possibly be said in your case. If you have a chance, give your Angel another shot. You may be surprised.

By the way, none of the vintage Tamagotchis can get married or have kids. As for the bat, one of the cool things about the Angel is that it's equipped with a motion sensor. You can tap the side of the unit to scare away the bat. Features like this were pretty cutting-edge for a virtual pet back in the day, which is probably one of the other reasons why people get so excited over vintage Tamagotchis.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably helps that I have plenty of nostalgia towards the vintage Tamagotchis, but there are several factors that force me to favour them over the modern models.

The main one is simplicity. I'm a busy man, and I love that I can take a Tamagotchi to work with me and only have to worry about it when I've got time to glance down at it. With the P1s especially, it's perfectly possible to play the guessing game with your Tamagotchi without even having to pull the device out of your pocket.

Compare this to, say, a V3, where you have to look at the screen to succeed at all the games (possibly excluding Sprint, which is only available to an adult Tamagotchi in any case.) Then there's the length of the games: you can finish a game with most of the vintage Tamas in about thirty seconds or less. Compare this again with having to obtain a hundred points in 'Get' on a V3 to see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I really like some of the more complex features in newer Tamagotchis. I've just finished a life-cycle with one of my P1s and moved onto a V3, and I have my Tama-Go running at home when I can be bothered. The Tama-Go seems to be rather simplistic, and it would likely have had a great deal more love if it were, you know, half the size. Shame.

On the flipside: the Genjintch and the Ocean are far too needy to play with normally, let alone take to work, and the Devilgotchi needs a bit more attention than is ideal if you're going to keep its Devil Power at bay. The Morino also has an irritating habit of getting itself injured when you're unable to pay attention.

I did really enjoy my time with the V6, though I felt that creature care was a secondary priority to all the other features. Each to his own, though.

OldSchoolTama: WHUT. You call the Angelgotchi low-maintenance. OMG. I tried to run it, and the only time I raised it to adulthood was when I unlocked a new path to getting the ultra-unhealthy special character Debirutchi through awful care.

Gamzee: I must disagree. A ) miracles are not pixels on a screen, and B ) I am a girl.

Everyone else: I may try again to run my Angel, but I can't just go "Alright, there's no harm in having 5 Tamas running!". There are LIMITS. I'm only allowed to run 1 Tama at a time. I would NEVER do that out of choice; if I was allowed more than on I would be running my orange and purple music star and my Angelgotchi as well as my current purple iD L! An Angelgotchi would be perfect accompanied by an iD L, and a Music Star and maybe a V4 as well, but it is simply not enough to sustain my log and my needs for challenge and new characters on its own. Maybe it would be okay along with a few others. But by the time these limits are taken off, all the Tamas I want to run will probably be broken. Or maybe I could convince my mom to change the limits now? Maybe there are just SO many limits I've forgotten that some have changed, possibly that one, from my March 2011 version I've got written down? I'll go see.

Those poll choices are quite limited. (I skipped the poll)

I like my vintages and do not see a problem with them.

My only issue with vintage tama is that I have weird sleeping habits and prefer time changing over pauses.

I know vintage tama can be paused in a sense, but those 4 hrs over the day that I nap are easier to handle on connection tama.

And when time changing on vintage, the age usually changes... meaning my tama is not living its true life length.

Outside of that, I really love my Devilgotchi Phone App and Angel.

As Stu said, I can play games with my eyes closed for the p1 and Mesutchi (provided the sound is on).

For Angel, Devil and P2... the games are extremely short. About the length of my cellphone screen light.

Angel is really low-maintenance. I also found the Mesutchi to be low-key as well.

(Sadly I do not have an Osutchi but it should be the same, right?)

Nostalgia is only a minor part of why I like vintage tama.

I had many of the vintage tama as a child, but the newer tama give me a very similar feeling when I use them.

Not to mention I like the color screens. Sometimes I am not near enough light for black/white pixels.

There are different Tama for different lifestyles and though I really like my older tama, the connections fit better for me.

Hopefully you find a vintage tama you like. (Devilgotchi are awesome though very expensive.)

If you do not... I see no problem with only enjoying the connections.

~Phnx

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently ordered a vintage Tama off eBay (a good-condition P1 for only $3.50 with $2.50 shipping) and I'm really excited. I've read about people logging them and they seem fun. It seems like the simplicity is what makes them so great :)

Well, i really do want one, and i did BUY one, but i canceled my order when the tama-go came out and now i reallly regret it, because it was the anniversary comemritive p1 and it was NEw, for only $20....now im sad... :`(

Well, lots of people like vintage Tams not for the Tama itself (although that may be a part) but for the prospect of buying it dirt cheap and then selling it one day sky high. Although, the themes seem pretty cool, too. Like, garden, ocean (those characters are adorable), or the feeling of Halloween/Christmas all year round with the Devil/Santa.

Yupppp :)

I love my vintage tamagotchis. I like the fact that they are relatively simple and not super-time consuming. The characters are adorable, usually cuter than the new-style characters (there are exceptions, Sebiretchi :) )

Vintage tamagotchis also age slower which I prefer. For example, it took me NINE days to get the adult mothra character, as opposed to 3 days on my ID L. It feels like more of an achievement!

I also admit that they are sentimental to me, I was a child of the 90s :D

I'm not that big of a Tama fan anymore. I do however have a great deal of respect for the original Tamagotchi. Vintage Tamagotchis started the whole Virtual Pet thing and without vintage Tamas many other popular virtual/robotic pet lines would be nonexistant. Furby may not have happened. The inventor of Furby came up with the idea when he found Tamagotchis a bit too limiting and set out to make a real world robotic pet. If Furby hadn't existed then my personal favorite VPet line the FurReal Friends wouldn't have happened because a lot of the technology used to create Furby are used in them. Take away vintage Tamagotchis and many great things may have ceased to exist, not the least of which are the newer models that you do like. Vintage Tamagotchi paved the way for a lot of awesome stuff. And even though I no longer collect or raise Tamas I still think very highly of the line.

I am a 90's chick so I favor them mainly because they take me back :) but to be honest I do get irritated with them because I can not turn their sound off and that gets to be a problem at work or school. And the fact that my sleeping schedule is so out of whack that it takes a toll on the vintage tamagotchi that it almost always gets me a bad character or dies. That's another thing, they die so easily! At least mine do. And the angel is ok but I am an average to complex maintenance type of person, I like a challenge and I find the angel too simple.

@ PoesRaven

The sound on vintage does turn off.... A and C at the sametime. Then you will hear something like the games when it turns off. (Outer buttons)

----topic----

I love my vintage. I play those more often then my connections. Pretty simple to play and you can feed them happiness if you need to. The pixels are a bit larger, but it takes some getting used to. The games are pretty simple and they are easily forgiving.

I understand you aren't a 90's child, but don't look at it that way... Your family is giving you a chance to BE a 90s kid, regardless you were born in those years or not. Experience to a popular toy that many kids born after the excitement has "relaxed"... Some know a Connection, but many are unlucky to get a chance with a vintage that you do. Not everyone can by online or has a family member with one they can try. Ask around and see if someone has a vintage you can try...

Another thing I know... I like my Angels, don't get me wrong... But I wouldn't base all the vintage on the one Angel you have. Find or ask for a p1/p2 tama and play with it for a while... It may grow on you, it may not. I prefer my p1/p2 much more then my angels.

I really wish I could get a vintage :( my dad says he has a P1 from when i was a baby and he got it "For ZuZu" (pshh, yeah, right. :rolleyes: ) and he still has it somewhere! unfortunatly he is too lazy to look for it and he won't tell me where it may be hidden *sigh* I hope I can get it someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back