Your favourite Studio Ghibli film?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshines

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
Lately I've been on a Studio Ghibli movie bend. Their films are absolutely stunning and magical and I have become so deeply inspired and entranced by their films! Initially I was not all that impressed with "Ponyo", the first Ghibli film I watched. I thought it was too random and all over the place, it was as if it was too far fetched. But then I watched "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Spirited Away" and I realized that there was something very simple that separated these animated films from others: that in fact were far fetched and that's what makes them so wonderful. Once I got over that hurdle, I watched "Ponyo" again and it was simply magical.

So what is your favourite Ghibli film? After watching all English dubbed versions, my favourites would have have to be "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Howl's Moving Castle".

I totally love Howl's Moving Castle. The music, the story, even the animation is amazing! Trust me, you won't regret sitting down to watch this one :lol:

I love the Ghibil films - some of my favorites and definitely something to "collect"!

I was not sure about Ponyo the first time I watched it either :p - but it has grown on me!

My Neighbour Totoro is my favorite because it always leaves me feeling happy.

Spirited Away and Porco Rosso come close second (and I can't say which is better) because I love the animation in them - the islands and hidden beaches that feature in Porco Rosso are stunning and a lovely example of fine art.

I would recommend you also try watching them in Japanese with English sub titles - some of the Ghibli films definitely work better this way (somehow) - I'm thinking particularly of Whisper of the Heart and Princess Mononoke.

I like the art in Howl's Moving Castle but I had already read the book (on which the film is based) and whilst the film is good as a story in it's own right, it really didn't do justice to the book - there were several changes to the story line which disappointed me a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the recommendations TamaMum! I watched "Whisper of the Heart" last night - I love the message the film strongly pushes: find your gems, polish them and don't let anyone prove you can't otherwise!

As silly as it sounds, I saw a lot of my own struggles in the main character (even though she's a teenage girl), I suppose at no matter what age we're all searching for "something" more profound, more meaningful, more passionate. I wish more young kids had access to this movie, I think a lot can be learned from the story.

I have "Porco Rosso", "Pom Poko" and "Grave of Fireflies" on the to-watch list....maybe all this weekend? LOL! Regardless, I'm excited!

Howl's moving castle definately! I also like the cat returns, spirirted away, castle in the sky, totoro, and nassica (sp?) of the valley of the wind.

I seen some of them. My faves are probably My neighbor Totoro, Ponyo and sort of The Cat Returns. I've also seen some of Prinsess Mononoke. Cute wolves, but I didn't really understand what it was about. :(

I just recently watched "The Secret World of Arriety" that was released here in North America - and it was so wonderful! The music and scenery was just spectacular, typical of Ghibli movies. If you haven't seen this one yet, I'd highly recommend doing so! Definitely one of my top Ghibli films to date.

@graficks: I watched that too! It was amazing. Sad when it ended tho. And kinda surprised when I learned who voice acted in it.

Howl's Moving Castle

Nausicaa

Spirited Away.

Princess Mononoke

Cat Returns

It's really awesome when you watch them again and see things you missed before.

My failure = can't pick one...or even just a few

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back