I'm learning Japanese and wondering if anyone has some advice

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber-Cakes

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a quick question to pose to anyone who knows japanese or is in the process of learning it. I started recently trying to learn japanese through the rosetta stone program. So far i have only completed lesson 1 and the beginning of lesson 2.

It seems like a pretty good way to learn so far but i am a bit concerned with how non-focused it seems on the symbols. it might be too early in the program to judge but it's mostly teaching me how to hear and recognize words and sentences and how to say them but not so much on reading the symbols or teaching me them and how to write them. There was a small unit in lesson 1 the taught maybe 6 or so of the symbols and the syllables they stand for and i was so excited for this part but it wasn't reviewed later in the lesson and i think i only even remember 3 of them now and could not write them on my own only recognize them.

My question is does anyone who has gone through learning japanese know of any good resources or other ways i might go about in addition to rosetta stone to aid me in learning japanese? Specifically the reading and writing aspect of it?

Thanks i appreciate any advice. :)

i'm learning right now and it's pretty fun. if you want to focus on reading, i suggest you try out THIS page, and THIS. the first one is the home page, and the second is if you want to focus on hiragana. ;) hope i helped!

I agree with kutchipatchi, learn the hiragana and katakana first. I can send you some messages in those if you want. Maybe we can be study partners because i took a couple months of japanese classes.

Keep a hiragana and katakana chart at your desk/wall so that you can look at it every time you're distracted.

Once you know all that, work on sentence structure.

Watch English subbed anime/drama it REALLY helps with vocab.

:)

Hi I am also in the middle of learning it too. :) You can maybe try GenkiJapan?

Thank you for everyone who replied with advice i really appreciate it!

@littlechamametchi: I am going to put the chart on the wall by where i use my lap top! :) That is a really good idea!

Hey!

At the moment I am studying Japanese for my language option at school, and I have written up all the characters I knew at the time (Hiragana, and I can put up the ma, ha and ya lines later)

My handwriting isn't good, apologies ):

https://i870.photobuc...aracters001.jpg

Also, we often go over specific lines to remember them.

This may seem very childish, but we would take a line (let's say, ka) and be like;

"Ka for coming up the hill"

"Ki for locking key"

"Ku for Kookaburra" (spelling right or not? xD)

"Ke for keg of beer"

"Ko for cost"

It helps, and you focus on what the character looks like ^_^ ;

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back