Has Tamagotchi inspired any of you to learn Japanese (even just a little) ?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stroodochi

Reaction score
With so many hard-core fans importing Tama's straight from Japan these days, have any of you been inspired to learn some Japanese ?

Computer games inspired me to learn some basic Japanese years back and I have recently imported a TMGC+C and am now trying to brush up on my Kana reading again :newmametchi:

Definitely! There was a time when I studied a book on Japanese and wrote out basic expressions 5,000 times and even made comics in Japanese! I know how to write a lot of their names, and I understand a teeny bit of the Tamagotchi anime. The main reason why I want to learn Japanese is to understand Japanese episodes and read what the Tamas say at the park on the iD L.

tamagotchi hasn't inspired me, so to speak, but i have gotten farther along in my japanese studies due to tamagotchi.

I was determined to learn hiragana because of my tamagotchi, but school has gotten in the way. :p I'm going to pick it up again in summer.

yes. when i got my entama and id but it was broken :( and only working is my entama.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely! That's how I got interested in Japan, Japanese and anime! I learn Japanese now, and that's all thanks to Tamagotchi! :D

Yeah! And I don't even import. I only know a tiny bit of Japanese, but I've kinda picked it up from Tama names and other Japanese franchise. For example, I know that 'Bakugan' means 'exploding sphere', so Bakutchi - who is shaped like a bomb - means something like 'exploding egg'. In the same way I've picked up Greek and Latin through dinosaur names and the scientific names of animals. I'll probably try to study Japanese at some point in my life - I doubt my school offers much, though.

Yes! I memorized the names of the characters (at least in the first two versions of Connections) and for example, I figured out Ichigotchi was like "little strawberry" and I had a friend that called himself Ichigo. Also I figured out Nyorotchi, and then recently I was looking at a page about Poliwag (the pokemon) and its name in Japanese is "nyoromo" which is a combination of the Japanese onomatopoeia for a slithering sound (nyoronyoro) and the name for a child (kodomo.) I think Pokemon combined with Tamagotchi has really made me want to learn more Japanese.

Well, I started to learn a bit about Japanese from a teacher I had in middle school years and years ago. My friend and I would practice talking with him occasionally and he would tell us about when he grew up there as a child and how different it is from the USA (he studied here when he was a student). I was out of the scene of all things Japan for while when I moved across the US probably because it's more in the central states and there weren't as many Asian immigrants or immigrant communities to visit. But I started to get more involved with Tamagotchi about 3 years ago and have since started to brush up on reading and writing. My vocab is still pretty small, but it is fun to learn new things :) I do miss going to the Japanese food stores and eating really good Japanese food in Boston though :<

-Purn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back