HELP! Stripped screw on Umino

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mishi10345

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I got my Umino Tamagotchi in the mail a short while ago, and since then, I've been looking for a screwdriver that works for it. My friend pulled out his handy dandy little screwdriver kit and quickly removed one screw. However, once we got to the other screw, he had a really, really hard time, and now, the head is stripped. We tried WD40 according to Ra's guide here, but nothing seems to be working. :/

I've included two pictures to show the screws. I would really, really appreciate any help or advice at this point.

https://i.imgur.com/XLElP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PQEsf.jpg

take it to a jeweler or a watch store. they will be able to get them out, usually for free with no damage to the tama.

Ciara683 and icewolf113 have both given you great advice! I had a very similar issue with an angelgotchi and because of trying a few dozen 'fixes' I'd found on line I only made the situation worse. Now my angelgotchi works mostly thanks to the combination of 1 screw and tape and the back cover is scratched badly and I had to cut away plastic around the stripped screw and pull the back off over the screw and then pull the screw out with pliars. I've learned my lesson and from now on every tama I get with reluctant screws is going to a jeweler asap.

Good luck getting it working. :)

I brought it to Sears, where the guy tried with a few screwdrivers and then gave up. Then I went to People's Jewellers, who recommended I take it to Radio Shack where they apparently have the magnetic-tipped screwdrivers; there wasn't one in the mall, so I brought it to yet another jewellery store. No luck there. Finally, I went to a small watch and jewellery repair place in the mall. The guy tried, but to no avail. I want to see if I can get the one screw drilled out and replaced, but I have no idea who to go to for that, as no one mentioned drilling it out as a possibility...

Any jewelers or watch repair place should be able to drill it out. They have small specialized drill bits for these types of situations. I'd go to an actual jewelers and avoid a department store. Some place like People's should have been able to do it for you. But if you were looking to try and get it out without having to drill then their suggestion to go to radio shack was probably a decent idea. But now that it doesn't seem like that's an option I'd take it back to People's and ask them if they could drill it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not you can always call different places before wasting time and gas. By calling you can at least find some place with out having to run around frantically. I would not suggest the little mall jewelry places, look for a main stream jeweler in your area. As for radio shack, I wont even shop there anymore. If the screw is stripped a magnetic screw driver is not going to pull it out any better then a reg screwdriver. Your best bet is to have it drilled out, then have it replaced. And from now on know that anything made over seas may not use a normal screw.

Avoid jewelers within malls or "big box" retail stores. They usually can't resolve the issue your having because they are primarily there to SELL things, not fix things. Smaller jewelers or even electronic places would be more helpful and much more patient. Call around and be direct. Don't say "I got a stuck screw, can you fix it?", actually tell them what it is so they can judge if they can remove the screw since removing a screw from a tamagotchi is much more different than removing a screw from a pocket watch. Even if they don't know what a tamagotchi is, just make sure they understand it's not a watch. It's for the sake of sanity on both your part and the jewelers.

Invest in screwdrives that actually fit your pet. It's a pain to have to order new screwdrivers, I'm sure, but it saves you from ruining your pets. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back