1998-1999 Furby problems?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mimirabbit

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just bought an old Furby from Value Village today. He was about 5 dollars, and naturally, I was really happy to see one.

I put the 4 AA batteries in, and waited for him to start. Nothing happened. The Furby was in a box w/ instructions, and he seemed to be in great shape! What's should I do?

I hear time to time... Older, still in box furby, sometimes don't work since they are older. I would just for grins try a different battery. Given, they are ~10 years old. Not always will toys work after being sealed for so long.

The old Furbys would often start having problems even when they were fairly new. Garbled speech, out of synch movements or just ceasing to function entirely. There are some that still work fairly well after ten years from what I've heard but for a lot of them time has not been kind. Electronics like that aren't usually made to last over a decade. I gotta say I'd be happy to find an original Furby even if he didn't work. But then I feel the need to rescue old electronic pets whenever I get the chance. Your mileage may vary.

One thing you might try is taking a pin and using it to press the small reset button on the underside of the Furby. If I recall correctly that would sometimes get them unstuck. It's been years since I've had one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... Well, I've been jiggling him around a bit, and it sounds like there's something moving in there. Maybe something came loose? Also, I did reset him, nothing happened >.<

I've been thinking of taking it apart. Nervous that I might break something, though. Then again, it turns out my mom's pretty good at things like this, so on her free time, maybe she could try. My heart's pretty set on this one, considering it was the only one I've ever seen.

Hello, I have an original working furby. The rattling isn't something broken its the movement sensor so it can work out if you have turned it upside down. As for it not working is there any sign of corrosion in the battery compartment? also I've never found a problem with new batteries in mine he was only put into storage a couple of months ago.

Ive also just had a look on ebay if your had defiantly given up you can get fully working 90's ones for £15-£20

No, there was nothing wrong with the battery compartment. Everything on the outside looks fine. However, is the bottom of the furby supposed to be so loose?

Edit: Wow! I placed it down on my table, and he just started! Didn't catch his name, though, and his motors are a bit noisy. But hey, at least it's working! Thanks everyone for the advice. In case this happens to someone else, to get my furby started, I pumped the bottom of him over and over again. After placing him, he came to life.

I'm glad he stated working :) the bottom is ment to be a bit loose on them and they are quite noisey when they work so sounds like you have nothing to worry about you have a healthy sounding furby :) have fun

Oh you should be able to find out its name if you play the hide and seek game with it mine used to go "me (name) hide me"

1. The sound you're hearing when you shake it isn't anything loose, it is just the tilt sensor.

2. The base isn't loose, it's supposed to move like that so Furby can "dance".

Glad you got it working. :)

Sometimes a few taps is all a Furby needs to kickstart the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back