Sign in to follow this  
mishi10345

Cleaning Yellowed Tamagotchi Shells

Hello, all! I have a Tamagotchi with a white shell that is yellowed with age. It is not just in spots, but the entire shell is more yellow than white. I know this for sure because I removed the sticker on the back, revealing a bright white rectangle that had not been affected. How can I clean the shell?

I found this thread addressing this same issue...I was also wondering about this recently.

http://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/181051-yellowing-on-tamagotchis/

I also found this link

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-whiten-yellowed-plastic/

I have not tried any of these methods (yet) but I believe that yellowed plastic has to do with oxidation (being exposed to oxygen, similar to how certain metals rust in humid/wet conditions). I know that this is often why the plastic on Super Nintendos will change color over time. Your best bet may be to try the pencil eraser method mentioned in the first thread I linked because it doesn't require taking apart your Tama or using chemicals that could potentially harm the shell/paint.

Ok this will sound crazy but I promise you it will work. Since its winter it may take more time then in the summer but here is what you do....get "Oxy Spot treatment" (pimple cream yes I know this already sounds strange) but using a qtip spread a layer of this ointment anywhere there is yellowing. Then use plastic wrap to cover the tama and keep the ointment from drying and place out into direct sunlight for a couple of hours. I know this sounds absurd but I have used this method to remove stains from plasic and vinyl. This is the BEST way to remove ink stains from vinyl. The reason it works is oxy is benzoyl peroxide and it actually bleaches out the stains but cant hurt the plastic. Its an awesome fix.

• Like 2

Ok this will sound crazy but I promise you it will work. Since its winter it may take more time then in the summer but here is what you do....get "Oxy Spot treatment" (pimple cream yes I know this already sounds strange) but using a qtip spread a layer of this ointment anywhere there is yellowing. Then use plastic wrap to cover the tama and keep the ointment from drying and place out into direct sunlight for a couple of hours. I know this sounds absurd but I have used this method to remove stains from plasic and vinyl. This is the BEST way to remove ink stains from vinyl. The reason it works is oxy is benzoyl peroxide and it actually bleaches out the stains but cant hurt the plastic. Its an awesome fix.

I second the oxy cream, I collect plastic/vintage dolls and we use it to "whiten" their faces or bodies that had been stained with clothing marks/stains, etc.

• Like 1

Huh! I actually don't own any white Tamas but the idea of using zit cream - never thought of it!!!! XD haha!

Hmm, this sounds like an interesting idea! What happens if the cream dries on the shell? Should I take the batteries out or anything? It's just that this is a pretty special Tama, so I don't want anything to happen to it. :/

If it does dry it will just rub off but I also dont think it will work well. I would recommend removing the battery to avoid it getting to hot or cold in the sun. Since its winter its probably going to take around 3 hours in the sun since its not as bright. Just take out the battery and then spread a layer of cream on and place in a tightly sealed ziploc and set it in the sun. Good luck! Take some before and after pics ;-) Oh and this is probably a givin but....dont get any cream in the electronics just on the outside plastic. Im sure you knew that I just wanted to be clear.

Edited by hebb