Restoring an Angel

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLou

Reaction score
(I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but since I'm asking about a vintage tama, I thought I'd put it in here. Feel free to move if needed)

I was wondering if anyone has restored the color to the wings on their Angel ~ mine are extremely worn and I'd like to repaint them. Before I go out and buy paint (was thinking gold model paint for like a model car) I thought I'd see if anyone here had suggestions for a brand or warnings about any sort of paint not to use.

photo_zpsd49b9e87.jpg

Because it's plastic, I would suggest pre-coating it with a layer of PVC primer to make sure the paint sticks. Not sure if that's needed with painting model cars so I dunno if the paint is different.

Also, if you use the white tipped soft brushes, i think they're the softest (maybe?) and leave the least amount of paint brush streaks. Maybe invest in a small pack of them and use the smallest brush (obviously, lol).

I say all this due to experience of painting sculpy clay as it's polymer which is a type of plastic.

Also, cover the screen, buttons, and other parts, to make sure there's no misshaps.

It looks to be in lovely condition otherwise. It's that the white version?

Thanks, Mido!

Yeah, I was wondering about priming them first. The only toys I've ever painted have been vinyl, and resin (not that you can really call a resin ball joint doll a toy, but whatever, close enough!). So I already have a set of very nice little brushes. I was thinking that model paint would probably hold up better than say, craft paint, but as I've never actually painted a Tamagotchi, I wasn't sure how any sort of paint would hold up on it.

Is there such a thing as a sealant that you paint on? I was thinking that would be good too, but I only have spray sealants.

Yes, it's the white version, and it's great other than the wings! I put it in my pocket for one day at work, and after that, no more pretty gold wings. Oops! Now it goes on a lanyard or just sits on my desk.

On mine... I used this art stamp ink. I think its called Smooch... Its in something like a skinny nail polish container. They have a brush at the end. I had a hard time with it rubbing off... So I put a acrylic clear coat over it. Then let the clear coat dry and did clear coated again...

The trick is, the color matches well, but paint it or touch it too early,the paint rubs off like a dry erase marker. It has to sit there and then you have to carefully paint that clear coat... I finally got it to stay, but it was a challenge. My Angel wasn't that bad off in the gold paint, but it was showing signs of comming off.

If you try it... The Smooch stuff, Art stores...

It will also take time to get it right...

I have an Angel on the way with a hard case for it so mine will be protected--something about metallic paints just never seen to last....

Sealant... i tend to use a varnish. Thing is, not all varnishes are created equal. I've had some that no matter what i did, after drying they felt sticky. I would look up about them but I dunno if I would honestly put a varnish on it because it might look tacky just on the wings.

As for the paints, I'd say look up reviews as well. I've only really used FolkArt and Ceramcoat, not any model paint, so I don't know how well they compare.

Thanks, SailorRosett! I will check out the Smooch ink. It's nice to hear there's one tried that matches the color well. I guess I'll have to wait for my current angel to leave me before I can try. I hadn't really thought about drying time, but at this point I know I can't leave my current angel for long before it loses hearts.

Perhaps I'll have to do an ebay search for those hard cases once I've repainted the wings! Would the case make it too bulky for putting comfortably into a pants pocket?

The case isn't too bulky, no. I have one and it isn't too bad, I'd say it can still fit in a pocket. Just leave the little fabric pad in in to keep your angel tight so it doesn't wiggle around in the case. And you have to open it to care for it, the buttons are covered, too.

You do need to be very careful. The Smooch ink can rub off easily. Even if it "seems" dry. You need to let it set, then apply a clear coat very carefully and avoid touching it..

Just a note. I put them on a warn gold wing. It matched that coloring well... It might be slightly different then your angel's paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back