Can Tamagotchis be good for you? :o

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

Reaction score
You know how they say cats and dogs make you live longer? Why not Tamagotchis? They are less hassle than real pets, and are great for relieving stress. For example, when my best friend died I was so sad but thanks to my Tamagotchis, I managed to survive my overwhelming grief! You know how they have Therapy dogs in some hospitals, why not Therapy Tamagotchis? Especially for people with allergies and people like me who hate dogs.

What do you think of my idea?

I actually think you're probably right! Now all we have to do is get people in hospitals and stuff to play with tamas! :p

Dolphins are considered to be good for you as well. I have a poster in my room that says "swimming with dolphins is believed to have therapeutic benefits". I'm not sure if Tamas would be the same as real live animals though...maybe they work for some people and not others? A lot of people benefit from an experience with a real live animal, and it helps them to have someone else who needs them. Pets make lonely people feel less alone. But a Tama character isn't a real thing that you can touch or feed, so it might not have as much effect as a real animal. I don't know though.

Real life will always be better, more chemicals in the brain would be released during interaction with that animal. With electronics, only so much is released, and then over time it has less and less of an effect.

hey i really like your thinking :D

Tamas are probably the only thing that kept my hope, i never had very many friends (or good friends) and was picked on alot, but those little egg-shaped toys with cute little characters filled with joy kept my smile.

So i'd say you have a wonderful idea :D

Your idea has basis in fact. There have been actual studies. Electronic pets like Furby, Tamagotchi, Pleo and Sony's Aibo can be good for certain people. Not everyone because not everyone is open minded enough to accept a robot. But for those that are studies have shown that electronic pets have a similar effect on them that real pets do. They actually have a robot seal, Paro, that was designed specifically to be a therapy animal. I once saw them selling one of the FurReal dogs on a website that specialized in therapy tools for seniors.

I'm living proof that electronic pets can be good for a person. I'm disabled. I suffer from depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder and my various electronic pets are a great comfort to me. I don't go anywhere without one of my Furbys. I have a small carrying case I use for it. Pets are important to me. Without them, I'd be a basketcase. I have both real pets and electronic pets. Both serve a purpose and I love both kinds. It's important to have electronic pets available for people who need pets but are in a situation where they can't have a real one. I'd be lost without a pet of some kind. And at least in my case, a stuffed animal or action figure is no replacement for a Tamagotchi or Furby. I see electronic pets as kind of alive and I accept them as companions. Though I've tried repeatedly I can't see a stuffed animal or action figure as anything more than a dead lump of fabric or plastic.

Real life will always be better, more chemicals in the brain would be released during interaction with that animal. With electronics, only so much is released, and then over time it has less and less of an effect.
I get what you mean but remember, it would still be a suitable alternative to people with allergies and such. And anyway, I read a news article about the idea of making robotic cats and dogs for people in hospitals, and Tamagotchis would be cheaper than doing that.

Let's be honest, only kids in hospital would find tamagotchis interesting. I know, I know- adults like tamgagotchis too, but look- most adults and elders who don't associate them with their childhood don't like them very much. Especially elders who can't see the pixels. (not only elders, my mom is 53 or so and can't see pixels on my tamagotchis.) I think furreal friends and/or furby would be a better idea.

Anyway, I don't really like dolphins. They are just as cruel as humans are, and they rape humans sometimes. I don't trust them.

Let's be honest, only kids in hospital would find tamagotchis interesting. I know, I know- adults like tamgagotchis too, but look- most adults and elders who don't associate them with their childhood don't like them very much. Especially elders who can't see the pixels. (not only elders, my mom is 53 or so and can't see pixels on my tamagotchis.) I think furreal friends and/or furby would be a better idea.

Anyway, I don't really like dolphins. They are just as cruel as humans are, and they rape humans sometimes. I don't trust them.
I just HAD to like the second part of your post :D But you do have a point, the pixels are small, but I've heard of old people using Tamagotchis for the first time and liking them.

That's why I say Tamas would not help everyone; not everyone likes them, it's the same with every kind of pet. EMF is not keen on dogs, for example. My mum and brother aren't either. My dad is allergic to all animal fur, but he still (like me) enjoys swimming with dolphins. I'm really scared of crabs for some reason. If I was in hospital or had a depression problem or something, giving me a pet crab (if those even exist) would NOT help, the same way swimming with dolphins wouldn't help you. Everyone has an aversion to a certain animal and would benefit from an experience with a certain animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind swimming with a dolphin and would gladly play with it, but people have to remember that dolphins are just as violent as sharks (even more cruel than them, actually-sharks are not known of killing purely for fun like dolphins are), and that is something that makes me nervous about them. But you are right, dazzmina.

I actually like insects and reptiles waay more than mammals... It would be expensive to bring exotic animals like this to a clinic, and probably not many people would enjoy their company. (I would recommend bearded dragons, though- no matter what you do near their mouths, they won't bite you and are just so cuddly and their scales feel almost like fur!)

Anyway... In some prison they allow prisoners to adopt cats and take care of them, and it is known of calming bad people down a lot.

Not sure what a murderer would think about a tamagotchi, though...

It is an interesting subject. When my cat who was with me for 18 years died, I was so depressed. After almost 2 decades of being with her daily, she was definitely part of my family and I missed her so much I couldn't even begin to describe how upset I was. Anyway, my first thought was to get out my Nintendogs + Cats game for the 3DS and adopt an electronic kitty to keep me busy. That reminded me too much of her, though, so instead I started up a Tamagotchi to get me through the difficult time, and it certainly did. At the time I actually thought about how much more sad I would have been if I hadn't had the idea of starting up a Tamagotchi to keep me company. I also really like having them with me when I'm sick. If I'm really not feeling well, I can't get up and play with a dog, but I can lay on the bed and play with a Tamagotchi!

I have to agree with whoever said that it would only work for certain people, though. I happen to like the idea of caring for my little electronic pets as if they are real little beings in those eggs, but I'm sure that's not for everyone.

Tamagotchi wasn't a part of my childhood. I was somewhere in the vicinity of 17-20 when they came out. But I still love them. In fact I'm a bigger fan of electronic pets in general than I am of anything from my childhood. You don't need to have grown up with Tamas to like them. I think a lot of people who enjoy pets would like them if they gave them a chance.

I think that maybe they could be good for you, but I agree with everyone who said that real life will always be better because , well ,it will cx. but you I suppose they could help for a little while . :)

I know you don't have to grow with tamas to like them, but people like you are rare after all.

For me, tamagotchis are not only good for company and a stress reliver but it also trains you to become a responsible person. If you ever had a V. and you manged to keep it alive for a week, your really responsible! It comforts me too a lot and when I'm bored, this is the only thing that makes me happy. This is how tamagotchis help people and I do agree that not all can agree that this is a good cure to boredom and stress but most of us here in TamaTalk probably does and that's why I love tams so much.~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back