Mothra Tamagotchi arrived!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pikmintaro

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
I ordered it about a week ago, but I didn't expect it to come so soon (Ebay said it would be a couple of weeks probably.)

mothratamasmall.png

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to activate it since I don't have to work, and I can enjoy the day with it after Church, and yes I know it is very dusty!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have fun! Hope you enjoy it!
Yeah the only problem I have now is that I can't get the screws to come out even when I use my smallest screwdriver that works with my other Tamagotchis, so I'll have to figure out some way to open it up and change the decade old batteries.

have fun ! I hope you find a way to change the battery soon ^^

Yeah I'm thinking of maybe taking it to Lowes to see if they have screwdrivers that will work, or a Jewelry/Watch repair shop or something.

Yeah the only problem I have now is that I can't get the screws to come out even when I use my smallest screwdriver that works with my other Tamagotchis, so I'll have to figure out some way to open it up and change the decade old batteries.
oh god... you haven't stripped them have you?

oh god... you haven't stripped them have you?
I'm not sure what "stripped" means (I'm guessing it means the top of the screw is messed up?) but they don't look damaged, the problem is when I used the screwdriver that fits my other Tamagotchis it kept going out of the screw without turning it, so I guess it just needs a different type of screwdriver.

I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to check if they have any screwdrivers that will get it out, otherwise I will have to get one of those "JIL #0" ones that they mentioned on the other forum.

Stripped means where you tried to turn them to open them, but the screw crosshairs have become circles, so the screwdrivers cannot grip the screws to turn them to undo them. It's stripped if it looks like this: https://www.primermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Screwdriver/Screwdriver_StrippedScrew.jpg

If that's the case, you're pretty much SOL and will need to break them to remove the back, and even then, you'll need to use tape to hold the back on.

Also, the Husky brand screw driver with the changeable bits are the best in my opinion.

Stripped means where you tried to turn them to open them, but the screw crosshairs have become circles, so the screwdrivers cannot grip the screws to turn them to undo them. It's stripped if it looks like this: https://www.primermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Screwdriver/Screwdriver_StrippedScrew.jpg

If that's the case, you're pretty much SOL and will need to break them to remove the back, and even then, you'll need to use tape to hold the back on.

Also, the Husky brand screw driver with the changeable bits are the best in my opinion.
Yeah that's what I thought, but the screws still look like they are alright, they still look like little Xs, anyways I'm going to take the Tamagotchi with me to Lowes so I can ask them if they have any screwdrivers small enough for it.

The tricky problem of removing screws from older versions of tamagotchis has been discussed a few times recently on these forums

This is a link to a post by binary which might be useful: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/182567-gen-1-screw-story-long/?p=3187413

although I would recommend that you read through the whole topic as it's gives a lot of background info and ideas for removing tight or stuck screws from an older tama.

Good Luck.

Yeah that's what I thought, but the screws still look like they are alright, they still look like little Xs, anyways I'm going to take the Tamagotchi with me to Lowes so I can ask them if they have any screwdrivers small enough for it.
When I stripped the screw on my Umino, I took it to jewellers and watch repair places, but all they did was strip it even more to the point where it had to be drilled out. If you haven't stripped it too much yet, DEFINITELY go get those JIS screwdrivers and DON'T let anyone mess around with it any more. I got a set of JIS screwdrivers after the incident with my Umino and I don't use anything else on my Tamas. You can find them on Amazon for very reasonable prices. Trust me, they're worth the investment.

The tricky problem of removing screws from older versions of tamagotchis has been discussed a few times recently on these forums

This is a link to a post by binary which might be useful: https://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/182567-gen-1-screw-story-long/?p=3187413

although I would recommend that you read through the whole topic as it's gives a lot of background info and ideas for removing tight or stuck screws from an older tama.

Good Luck.
Yeah thanks, the first thing I did when the screwdriver wasn't working was do a search here for "screw" and I read through every single topic about it.

It sounds like all I need is a JIS #0 Screwdriver, I'm going to see if they have them at Lowes (I doubt it.)

Otherwise I will buy these ones

https://www.ifixit.com/Tools/JIS-Driver-Set/IF145-115

EDIT: Ok I went to Lowes and got the screwdriver they recommended for me, but it doesn't work either, so I just ordered that set of JIS Screwdrivers off of the website.

Anyways I'm turning Mothra on now, the Egg popped up and it looks like the batteries are working despite being over ten years old.

EDIT #2: Ok so I set the time and everything, and the twin girl Eliases/Cosmos (I think in the Rebirth of Mothra movies that this one was made to promote they were called Elias.) came out dancing, and singing around the Egg, until it hatched into the smallest Larva with no mandibles, I quickly fed it until it was full, and played some games with it, after that I kept checking to make sure that its hearts didn't empty, and fed it, and played with it when they did, the little baby had just been born and it was already five tons!

After awhile it suddenly made a weird beeping noise and I saw it was taking a nap, TO MY HORROR IT HAD A POOP NEXT TO IT!!! I hope this doesn't affect it too badly, I didn't even know it had pooped! anyways I cleaned that up right after it woke up a few minutes later.

I went to have a poop myself, and I took it in there with me, while I was doing my business it made some weird noises and turned into the next stage up, so now it has a longer body, a bigger rounder head, and it finally got its mandibles! they really open wide when it eats!

I am periodically checking it to see if any hearts are empty, but none have gotten empty so far, the little darling is ten tons now!

Anyways I'm glad I know Katakana, and Hiragana so I can read all the words in the menus (For example the discipline meter says "Seigi" which means like justice or something like that.)

Something I forgot to mention is that I really like how the casing for the Mothra Tamagotchi looks, it resembles Mothra's egg in the movies! with similar stripes and everything! although not as detailed.

Edit #3 (Sorry!): Ok it went to bed at 8:00pm as I was expecting.

(TM Edit: Two Mothra topics merged)

So anyways I can't post in the old topic anymore, and I can't edit my last post either, I don't know if anybody cares, but I will continue talking about my Mothra Tama, and the new ones I just ordered.

It turns out the Screws were stripped I just couldn't tell well enough (They were so tiny! and I could still see the + in them so I thought they were okay.) and the JIS Screwdrivers I ordered did absolutely nothing to get them out! but at least I have the JIS Screwdrivers for the future.

Since they are pretty badly stripped now I checked through every topic on Tamatalk that has to do with screws, and every topic I could find on Tamazone that has to do with Screws also, most people seemed to recommend taking it to a Jeweler or Radioshack (Which my Mom did too.) and I didn't want to try any of the weird solutions for getting stripped screws out (Rubber bands didn't help.) for fear of damaging my Tamagotchi!

Anyways today when I got up I headed out to Radioshack the girl working there said "Oh you need help with your Gigapet?" when I showed it to her and I told her the screws were stripped, she stuck a screw driver into it, and tried to get them out for about ten seconds before saying "The screws are stripped so there's nothing I can do."

After that I went to Walgreens to get some Eyeglass repair kits for extra screws (I don't know where else to get them.) then I went to a Jeweler that I had found out about yesterday because I delivered food from a restaurant to him and found that he also did Watch repair, he said he would take it over the weekend, and try to get into it and told me to come back on Monday (So much for the people who said the radioshack/watchrepair/jeweler who got their stripped screws out did it in under five minutes and gave them some replacement screws, I wish I was that lucky!), so now I'm waiting hoping that he will be able to get those screws out, because otherwise I don't know what else to do! I guess I can just buy a new one or try to pry the battery cover off, and then tape it back on.

Anyways as for the Mothra itself I had been taking the best possible care of it that I could taking it with me while I worked delivering food and checking on it to make sure it was at the lowest weight possible, and wasn't hungry, it had been in the Teenager Mothra Larva stage for about a day or two, I'm sure it would have turned into at least Fairy Mothra, I was aiming for regular adult Mothra, but one time it decided to take a poo right before going to bed so it slept with that all night! (I checked at about 7:59 and 30 seconds, and it hadn't taken a poo so it must have done it right before going to sleep!) so I don't know how negatively that would affect it.

Also I ordered an Angelgotchi off of Ebay about a week ago, so I am waiting for it to arrive, and just a few minutes ago I ordered a Genjintchi (PrimitiveMantchi) and a Mori no Tamagotchi (Forest of Tamagotchi.) off of Ebay so I'm waiting for them to arrive too, I'm just glad I have those JIS screwdrivers now I'm just hoping they will work!

I posted in your other topic,, but I don't think you read what I wrote. When I stripped the screws on my Umino, the watch and jewellery store people only made it worse. I would recommend trying to drill it out. I sent my Tamagotchi off to another Tamagotchi collector who is on Tama-Zone who does repairs on her own Tamagotchis. She was able to drill the screw out and I replaced it immediately. Judging by what you've written here, I am assuming that your screw is as badly stripped as mine was, so at this point, I believe that drilling is your only option. Good luck.

Yeah I saw what you said, but there was a bunch of other people who took theirs to Jewelers and got their stripped screws taken out, so I'd rather take my chances with a professional (And this shop is also a Watch Repair place.), than try something that I don't even know how to do (My Dad had some drills, but he died a couple of years ago, and I don't really know how to use them.), and possibly destroy my Tamagotchi.

I have to look at what everybody recommended, just because you had bad luck doesn't mean every single Watch Repair place will be the same.

Of course the most people recommended Radioshack, but like I said the girl there couldn't help me, so I might have just gotten bad luck there, but I don't know, there is another Radioshack one city over, so I will try there if this Watch Repair shop can't get them out over the weekend.

Pictures definitely would've been a good idea at the start, just a tip in case it happens next time. Depending on how badly stripped it is, it could be a good idea to take it to a professional. Perhaps all the screw needs is a bit more force when turning or something. However, when you get to the point where it's already been messed with by many people and there's just no grip to it anymore, even a professional wielding a regular screwdriver (even if it's a JIS, which I doubt it will be if you go to a repair place in the US) won't make a bit of difference and will only strip it further. I tried unscrewing the screw a few times before asking my dad and my neighbour (both men, both stronger than I am), but they couldn't. I looked at it, saw it was stripped, went online, and read the exact same posts that you did. I also thought it'd be a good idea to look around the mall and try some watch and jewellery repair places. I went to this little place in Sears where the guy there pulled out a little screwdriver kit that really was not impressive at all and stripped the screw further. I actually cringed watching him do it. I tried a watch repair place too. Same thing happened. Finally, when I went to People's Jewellers, the woman there picked up a little magnifying glass, examined the screw, and told me: "This screw is really stripped. I wouldn't mess around with it anymore with regular screwdrivers." I think she helped me the most that day. I sent my Tamagotchi off to get the screw drilled out that weekend. Believe me, I'm not trying to sound rude at all, but I'm recalling my own frustration when this happened to me, and I was only hoping that other people wouldn't go through that too.

I would not recommend that you try to drill it out yourself if you don't know what you're doing. Ask your friends, look around, see if there's anyone with a hand drill who knows what they're doing. I certainly had no clue, and I didn't even trust my dad to do it, which is why I shipped it off to that Tama-Zone user. She was able to pull it off with no damage to my Tama, which is the best outcome, considering the only other option would have been to cut off the back and replace it or tape it back on. I paid her a reasonable amount for her services and also paid for return shipping. If you're interested, I can give you her username and maybe you can send her a message to see if she could help you out.

Yeah, I didn't think you were being rude, I just wanted to try the Watch shop first since he thought he could get the screws out (They are so stripped they are basically just circular holes in it because of all the screwdrivers I tried using after the JIS screwdrivers didn't work, so there's not really any screwdrivers I can use to get them out.) if this watch guy can't do it, and if the other Radioshack can't do it, then I will look into getting them drilled out, but I want to see if the Watch Repair guy will be able to get them out first since he said he would spend the weekend trying to get them out.

Alright, I located the pictures of my Umino with its stripped screw: https://i.imgur.com/PQEsf.jpg

Is it like this? Worse? Better?
Ehhh it was kind of hard for me to tell, because of how small they were on mine, before the JIS screwdrivers came I thought they looked fine since I could still see the cross shape, but I guess not.

When I took them to the Watch guy they sort of looked like they were just circles in the screws (more or less.) the one in your picture sort of looks like it is a bunch of circles going down.

I don't know if it really matters since either way I don't know if a screwdriver could get them out.

You'd need a special bit that can drill into the screw, then carefully use it to unscrew it. But I am not sure if they make them that small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back