Do you drive?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mimitchi&hanatchilover

Reaction score
So, I've been learning to drive lately. Do you drive? Not yet? Are you learning to drive?

Just curious: If you DO drive, what's the worst mistake you've ever made?

I've had countless mistakes, but I think the one that stands out the most is when I forgot I was driving an automatic and, in my rush to get out of the car to quickly see something one time, forgot that it wouldn't just stall if I left it in gear and left it in Drive. And stepped out of the car. And got to experience the most simultaneously horrifying and terrifying moment of my life as the van started driving itself merrily away from me.

I've also cut people off before, because they wouldn't let me into their lane when I needed to get into the turning lane...

Perhaps my worst mistake was underestimating the pure evilness of hills when I was learning to drive standard. ;) *stall* *stall* *stall*

i don't like driving and i'll avoid doing it at any costs ;___;

i've never even gotten into any accidents, something just bothers me about it. :<

I don't drive, I'm just old enough and was expecting to be learning by now but insurance is apparently between £2-3000 and I just can't afford it :( since I'm 17 and still in school an' all, won't ever be able to drive until I'm finished Uni by the looks of things :eek: :angry: :angry:

Two bad things have happend to me whilst having/borrowing a car. The first was when I had just passed, I used to work in a pub and would borrow mum's car to go to work and one night there was a fight outside and a guy was beaten up on the bonnet, theres a bit of a dent there now. The second was when it snowed I parked my car on the drive and the snow under the wheels melted and turned to ice causing my car do slide into the house :eek: luckily it happened really really slowly so my car was un-harmed.

@Floralpattern you will be surprised insurance isn't always that bad I got my first car this year and managed to get it insured for £780 and thats really good. The best way to do it is to pass your test as soon as you can and get insured on your parents car it should cost around £40 - £90 a month then after a year or so get a car of your own and you will have a good no claim's bonus that will nock at least £1,000 off your issuance, trust me thats what I did.

Neonmoo: Just wait until it snows really heavily! Then you won't even be able to get out of your driveway... lol. Do you drive standard? I burned up the clutch on my car just because I got stuck on some snow. How embarrassing. I was in the way of a snowplow driver and just sat there helplessly until my dad came and rescued me, yelling all the while. ;.;

Yeah, I haven't added all that much to my parents' insurance, either! Just shop around - some insurance companies are better about that than others. :)

I drive a manual, I havent burnt out my clutch yet but my friends had gone twice this year. We park all our cars on the road outside of the road usually when it snow's heavy as we live on a hill and its impossible to get up or down it in the snow. I just wasn't thinking when I put it on the drive as it was the first time I had been out in snow.

The snow I got stuck on was probably about a foot deep. I kept stalling it because I would upshift to second gear, come to a corner, and then the car would get sort of stuck in the corner going around it and it would shudder to a stop. I really wasn't too kind to my poor clutch! :p We might have to replace it soon, but it's gone like 410,000 kilometres and I think that it's still only on its first or second clutch or something. I don't know for sure... we bought the car used. My driveway slopes down, away from the house, so if it ever rolled back it would roll into the street... and probably my neighbour's nice BMW, because he sometimes parks it there. xD; Lol.

Nope, I'm too young. XD That's ok though, cuz my sister is learning, and once she gets her license she is going to take me everywhere. Okay probably not, but I can dream right?

I'm taking Drivers Ed next month; I'm kind of excited!

I already know how to drive, and I drive on backroads with my parents in the car with me. The other day, one of my parents was teaching me how to drive a standard (manual) transmission because that's the only kind of car we have at our house. Driving an automatic was so easy, but the standard was hard; I stalled the car at least 5 times from hitting the brake pedal before the clutch; or from shifting to the wrong gears; or trying to drive in reverse up a hill. xP

But I will drive. Because I kind of have to here, and because it's sort of fun.

Yes - I drive a manual transmission.

Worst mistake ever made was starting the car whilst it was in 1st gear (not neutral) and not depressing the clutch. Car jumped forwards into large plant container - bumper dented - not my car... :huh:

Edit: Manual transmission = gears & clutch - or "stick shift" as it is known in the US

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I drive. An automatic is what we call it in the U.S. ^_^

And the worst mistake I have ever made? Racing someone. On a highway. And cutting ahead in a line of traffic during said race and almost causing a serious accident. :eek:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You asking me if I drive?

You're funny, man.

Poor humor that probably only amused me aside, no, I do not drive. I'm old enough, and heck, around here no one cares anymore if you drive underage, but I wouldn't trust myself a second behind the wheel of a death vehicle. I'm super ADHD, man. I'll probably see something shiny on the road and BAM the car would be totalled. (Probably spelled that wrong. I'm a horrible speller. Is speller even a word? Eh, that's what I get for growing up in the ghetto. Wait what. What was I talking about. Oh dear I did it again. See? ADHD.)

But yeah I knew a fourteen year old that drove to and from LA/Los Angeles by herself. Which is like an hour away. What.

I hate driving. At first it was exciting but now......no thanks =-= It doesn't help that I am forced to be my younger brother's taxi, even though he is old enough to drive.

not yet hoping to be able to soon

I've been old enough for a year and a half now, and a year before that before they raised the driving age but my mum was just like "NOPE YOU'RE NOT READY TO LEARN TO DRIVE YET!!!!!!!!"

I have a car and my license but I avoid driving at all costs. My boyfriend usually just drives me everywhere because I hate driving. It makes me so anxious and scared and I'm always afraid that I'm making everyone around angry somehow and I don't even realize it D;

The worst thing I *almost* did was when I was learning I went to park the car at my house and I accidentally pressed the gas instead of the break and almost rammed right into my step dad's camaro

I just started Driver's Ed on Monday. I can get my license in November, but I'm scared to start actually driving in traffic. Country backroads is one thing; city driving quite another. And unfortunately, they don't teach you how to drive a manual transmission in our driver's ed, so I'll have to rely on my parents for that instruction.

We can get our driver's license at 15 here, and we can start Driver's Ed at 14.5, so I could have taken the class when it was held last September. But I'm a little less busy at the end of the school year and beginning of the summer than at the beginning of the school year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back