Canadians?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

violetvioletchi

Reaction score
I just wanted to see how many of you are out there/possibly what province you guys are from.

I have a few questions about Canada that would be great if I could ask one of you guys :)

I'm a citizen but I moved away when I was little so I don't remember, but I'm considering moving back for law school.

:)

I made a little questions list if you guys have time? <3

How do you like it there?
Would you move to a different place if you could and why?
Is housing expensive?
Is it (unreasonably) difficult to get into universities?
How are foreigners treated?
Is it difficult to find a job? (Especially as a student?)

Thanks <3

I would be happy to answer any questions about California! (Even if you're just curious...xD)

I am so proud to be Canadian, I enjoy my life here very much and I love all the benefits of being Canadian..if I didn't have our health care system I would be dead twice by now, and living here in Canada I am able to create a wonderful life for my family <3

I can honestly say I will never leave Canada,and never want to lol...but if I was forced out then it would Scotland id go to because its so similar in laws etc.
Is housing expensive?

it depends on your location,here in the maritimes no it really isn't...I just don't kow about everywhere else lol...but for an example I live in a Victorian style house that has 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a dinner area, living room, kitchen and sitting room...with 1 acre of land for $80,000...

no not at all...I have gone to university for my fine arts degree and im returning in September again for becoming a VON (VICTORIAN OCCUPATIONAL NURSE) and I am fully funded for it this time.. im not paying anything to go back its fully paid for <3

I have many friends from around the world and are from many different countries and everyone says that they always felt welcome and Canadian ppl are some of the nicest ppl in the world <3 we are a tourist town and every tourist that ive met said the same thing too haha <3 so I think that's something!

well I haven't had a problem with finding one...but even if you do there are programs like "career choices" and social assistance that the government has set up. so they will assit you in finding the job and any training you need to obtain the job/career and its free <3

now keep in mind these comments andanswers are from the east side of Canada.. unfortunately I have no clue for the west side <3 I hope this helps

I've lived in Canada in the same city my entire life, so I may be a bit bias...

But yes, I do really enjoy living in Canada. I know for a fact that I probably won't be moving out of the country when I'm a bit older. Housing can be expensive, but most oftentimes you can find very reasonable deals. You can often rent or live on campus if you're planning to study here.

In terms of university, I can't fully vouch whether it is difficult or not. I got accepted with an average of 84% for all of my high school marks. It's a little bit different when you're an international student, however they readily accept pretty much anyone with good grades. As a student, it's fairly easy to get a job. It just depends on where you look. My campus has a website dedicated to student jobs, but you can easily go to the mall and find one too.

Foreigners are treated well. Canada does take pride in being multicultural, and most of the time people don't assume you're a foreigner unless you have an accent.

I hope this helps!

Awesome!! Thank you guys so much for your responses I know there were quite a few questions! :)

Love it though I'm not a hott weather kind of person So im grumpy in the summers, but I live in a fairly rainy city so it's been very great so far!

I love canada I'd move to ireland because of the weather :3
Is housing expensive?

depends on the city really. I'm in a very major city and we only pay $620 a month and that includes EVERYTHING, laundry,hot water, heat,internet,cable

as long as you have the money you can literally walk in be like "im takin these classes, now take my money"

like family :3. I live in a very foreigner populated area. We play this game called "spot the white person"

as long as you have experience you could get a job in 24 hours.

Canada FTW :D I live in Ontario and pretty close to Toronto.

It's alright. I live on the residential side of the area so it's not bad. :3

I guess I would want to move to Nova Scotia or something cause it's beautifffuuullll there! :D

Is housing expensive?

Yes. Very expensive :l

Well. Depending on what kind of major your going into. Most of the time if you want to get into an extremly good program, you probably need a 90% avg or higher.

They are everywhere in the city so I guess they are treated well.. :eek:

Not necesarily. I would say it's not easy but not extremly hard because there are so many retailers that hire students specifically.

Wooooo! Hoping to go somewhere nice for vacation this summer with my family. :p

I'm from the small province of New Brunswick and live just outside the city limits of the Capital City of NB.
Questions? sure! I'd love to answer them!

In NB it's pretty cool. Love the area and there isn't a place I'd rather be than my hometown.

Like I stated above, I want to stay where I am.

Is housing expensive?

I'm not too good with Real Estate so I don't know. But my city has been getting ALOT of new homes and apartments lately. I know this because I help build them :p

I'm not sure. Depends on the path you take I guess. And oddly enough, my city has 2 universities compacted into pretty much one campus. We are an odd city xD

From what I have seen, nicely. LG rated Fredericton "Canada's "Goodest" City." So we have pride from that.

Sadly... New Brunswick is having unemployment issues... I'm not sure of the severity, but we all know the economy is bad. We are so unemployed we have time to help people. No wonder we are Canada's Goodest City :p

Heck yeah I'm canadian! and I live in British Columbia! WHOO western canada!

and question time!

I love my province, it truly is beautiful I used to live in the lower mainland and I loved the ocean, the Georgia strait (along the west coast) is so pretty to sail through. WHen I drove northward (prince George) for school we drove through plains, and a desert, and a mountain range and a forest. It truly is something

As in a country? I'd love to travel and see the world, I'd love to see Ireland, I'm not that picky about the weather I never really thought about moving to a different country, that seems kinda extreme... Well i would for a post doc but thats way in the future. I love where I live and hope to live here in the future.

Is housing expensive?

that really all depends and where in Canada you go, and which city you live in, housing in Prince George is cheaper than Vancouver for example, if you know the city then you can google it and look up apartments and such to compare living expenses better

I think that's all in which University, seeing as they all have different requirements for each program you want to get into, the best thing to do is look up various schools and compare their programs and admission requirements. I don't think it's overly difficult but then again I went to a college and transferred to a University... I would look it up

In my experiences with that is it all depends on attitude, and to be honest most canadians don't consider americans all that foreign (well from where i grew up the boarder was an hour away so) I have seen some really bad racism buts thats usually the foreigners ganging up on the white kids so....

All depends on where you go and how picky you are and how diligent you are in looking for a job and how well you present yourself on your resume and interview

hope that helped!

Hey! I'm from Nova Scotia, just outside of Halifax.

Everywhere you go will have its pros and cons, but all in all, I love Canada and being Canadian.

I like to travel, but I don't think I'll ever move outside of Canada.

Is housing expensive?
It depends on what kind of housing you're looking for. If you're looking to rent (whether it be an apartment/condo/duplex.etc.), you'll likely be able to find some reasonable options. Buying a house is more difficult/expensive, especially if you want to live closer to cities. However, this all depends on where you're looking to go and when you're looking to go there, so it's hard to say. It's also worth mentioning that there isn't much cost difference between staying in residence at a university and renting an apartment for the same amount of time. I would recommend residence though, because your food is included and you don't have to worry about transportation to/from campus.

While it depends on the university and the program, I'd say no. Maintain decent grades (shoot for about an 85% average, although some universities/programs will ask for lower/higher averages), take part in an extracurricular or two and you should have no problems.

In Nova Scotia at least, foreigners are treated very well. When I was in highschool the exchange students always felt like they belonged and had friends at my school - a lot of them would even come back the next year to continue their exchange. I work at a grocery store and meet people from places from Alabama to Germany who never hesitate to talk about the people they meet here and how nice and helpful they are. Canada is generally very accepting.

In all honesty, finding a job is the easy part. Stores love to hire part-time students, so if you show them you're willing to work and are enthusiastic about it, they will want to hire you. Getting good hours is another. If you want lots of hours - and as a student you probably do - look for smaller businesses/stores, where things are more personal and people are more willing to give you shifts when you ask for them. Check Jobbank as often as possible (select the Student/Youth jobs part), you never know when a job will come up.

Hope some of this helped! If you have any other questions about university/jobs/all that crap I've also had to go through this past year, I'm happy to help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back