Do you haggle / bargain?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamster0804

Reaction score
I don't know if I use the right English verb, in Dutch we call it 'afdingen' or 'pingelen'

Do you do that on eBay? Contact the seller and try to get the price down? I don't do that after a auction, then I'll decide the price for myself, but I'll try it at 'Buy it Now' offers often. In December I was able to buy (from one seller) a Genjinth, TamaOtch and a Mothra, all NIP, for 95 dollar including shipment to Holland. The price on eBay was 135 dollar all together. I was very happy I managed that ^_^

I am curious this is a typcal Dutch thing to do, or if others do it as well. Or do you think it's inappropriate? Some Japanese sellers seem to be overwhelmed if I do so and don't participate of even answer my offer, but a lot of them agree with it.

Haggling on the price is something plenty of people do on ebay in my experience.

I've had messages from people asking if I would consider selling at a lower price - not often. Usually I ask them to wait until the auction time ends because I have decided on a fair asking price, so I don't accept lower offers.

Sometimes people put in a bid and win it, then after a day or two they ask for a discount on the agreed price and if you don't agree to it, they drop out and you are forced to list the auction again. (Back up buyers are not always interested when a few days have passed and they may already have found something else). That annoys me :)

I don't think there is any harm in asking if a seller will consider a lower price but it is important to remember that some people and some countries/cultures think the idea of haggling inappropriate and rude whereas for others it is part of normal, everyday life :)

I think it's inappropriate to do it after an auction, then it's up to you how much you're bidding. The price is in your own hands, if you don't get agitated and bid above your plan ;) But in that case, it's your own fault if you pay too much.

I try to be very polite, but I'm also very directly. I say things like: "I'm well aware this is an immodest question, but in my opinion it's very overpriced for an item in this condition. Are you willing to sell it to me for *insert amount*?"

I always mention I'm a collector and I won't resell the item for an higher price. I just want to add it to my collection.

its very common in the scotish culture, and here we call it bartering lol i do it all the time, actually i did it with the package for my devilgotchi with angie, she was quite the barterer her self baha ^.^

I don't use eBay but I have bartered with sales on local classifieds. For example I was buying from Connection Tamagotchis that were $10 each, but I managed to get a V3 for $6 instead because it was in much worse condition than the others. I bartered with someone about an overpriced Morino, however, but they refused >.>

I don't usually do it myself. I would rather wait a little bit or agree to whatever they set. Where I do haggle a little is shipping. Sometimes they don't have tracking available but I will ask them to include it and usually they will just add it. If not, oh well. Some users will change economy to EMS... I think it may have been a person I bought from previously for other things. Either way, if I can get the tracking number, I am very happy with them.

I do, but not if the auction already has bids on it. I usually ask if I buy multiple items from someone will they give me a discount on the lot. It doesn't always work, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I never did so on an actual auction site, but I bought my second-hand entama this way. I asked the sheller if she'd sell it to me for 120$ with shipping included, instead of 120$+shipping.

I should probably try bartering more often than I do, but I have made some deals with eBay sellers!

Most recently I bartered lower prices on my Pokemon Mini games. c:

I think contacting sellers for a lower price is against Ebay's rules, so I always feel a little wrong by doing it. :/ They take a percentage off the item's price once it's sold, the highest the item sells for the more they'll make money...

Anyways. I haggle a lot on Ebay, and my offers get accepted quite often. It's important to offer a fair price, because ridiculously low offers you wouldn't accept yourself only make sellers lose their time...

I always write a polite message, double check my grammar and add the usual ''Thanks for considering my offer! :)''.

Sometimes, the shipping is what's overpriced (EMS to the garbage, I ask for SAL :lol: ). Then it doesn't bother the seller and you save money! Don't feel shy to ask for a cheaper rate.

On expensive items you can ask for free shipping too :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back