Sign in to follow this  
Carol_tama

Reviving [old] / customizingTamas

I bet some of you (just like me) have at least one Tama, that over years got it's paint chipped off, or got a lot of scratches OR maybe you just have one that you think is ugly, cause it has an ugly shell pattern.

My question is: what do you do with these? Do you paint them? Add stickers? Maybe switch shells with other Tamas? Do you add accessories? Change backgrounds? ETC ETC?

I revived my old v3 today. Originally it was a white one with black cow-like spots on it. This Tama actually started my collection 8-9 years ago. So you can imagine how I loved it (and still do). I was carrying it everywhere with me, in my pockets or in the backpack. Well, as a result, the paint chipped off completely, leaving only black strips in corners. Well, it looked truly awful. So I tried to paint it several times, to make it look nicer, but I never was pleased with the result at the end. So the Tama was just sitting in the box and I thought I will never use it again... But yesterday I decided to give it one more chance. I bought some nice nail polish and painted it. I also added a little sticker at the top and added a nice keyring.
Here are some photos. :)

tumblr_n1m34y4VZO1soif0yo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1m34y4VZO1soif0yo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n1m34y4VZO1soif0yo3_500.jpg

tumblr_n1m34y4VZO1soif0yo4_500.jpg

tumblr_n1m8wrBVaD1soif0yo1_500.jpg

It looks A LOT nicer in person, ofc. ;)

Edited by Carol_tama
  • Like 5

Wow u did a grear job :D

The first tama I got in my collection (Not my first tama ever) was a black Tama-Go and I didn't like the shell because I was used to the cute patterns of connections

so I painted mine

tumblr_mw7x0i6h3w1rf4q8io1_500.jpg

I guess we both like sparkles lol

Edited by Brittygotchi
  • Like 3

The first tama I got in my collection (Not my first tama ever) was a black Tama-Go and I didn't like the shell because I was used to the cute patterns of connections

so I painted mine

I guess we both like sparkles lol

Yeah, we do! ^o^

Also, I changed the v3 a little bit. Painted the top of the antenna and changed the sticker. :3

tumblr_n1ncn1O3nB1soif0yo1_500.jpg

Plus I made better photos of the shell, in daylight. :)

tumblr_n1ncn1O3nB1soif0yo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n1ncn1O3nB1soif0yo3_500.jpg

tumblr_n1ncn1O3nB1soif0yo4_500.jpg

tumblr_n1ncn1O3nB1soif0yo5_500.jpg

Those tiny thingies are yellow, but they change color into blue, when you look from a different angle. ^o^

• Like 2

I have some tama's here that have been waiting to be painted, I just never got to it, too much projects waiting.

First I want to make the rest of the cradles for my collection, and when that's done Ill start on them, and post pictures here.

I love seeing what you do with them, very pretty.

• Like 1

Ow those look so cool! I love them! I would be way too scared to paint mine. I'd mess up and paint the screen or something probably :P

Camoth, the connections are rather easy to take apart and put back together, so you can paint without messing the guts or screen up.

True. I never painted my Tama when it was in one piece. I always take them apart so that I'm sure I won't mess up the screen or buttons or anything else. ;>

I love seeing what members have done to customise or modify their tamagotchis. There've been a few topics like this in the past and I'll just share an old post that links to some of them because there are loads of talented individuals out there :) http://www.tamatalk.com/IB/topic/178651-blinged-out-tamas-3/?p=3160270

I have a V3 that used to be pink and white but is now only white... waiting for me to design a Hello Kitty modification that will work on the tama shell's shape... I'll get around to it one day ! :P

• Like 1

I have two V1's that were quite boring. One was white, with these yellow buttons. It looked like an egg that you'd have for breakfast. The other was pastel pink. I usually love pastel pink, but this was a grandma's-living-room shade of it. -_- And it had this weird satin finish. In short, it was ugly.

The white one was easily rescued with 3-D sparkly stickers. Purple nail polish and tiny, tiny stencils made the pink one look tolerable. I also replaced the giant klunky O-ring keychains with ones with little Mametchi and Mimitchi charms that I made out of polymer clay :3

If I manage to find them in the disaster area that is my room, I will post a picture.

I love what you did with your tama Carol! I really want to do it too but first I have some questions. :3 If you use nail polish won't it come off easily? Or did you put something on it to make it harder to rub off?

It doesn't rub off! ;D It stays on the shell just fine, I didn't put anything more on it ;)

That looks really nice, and I never would have considered nail polish as a substitute for paint. How well does it last?

Every time I did something like that, it just stayed there... Until I decided to do something else with it. xD
So, I guess very well. :D

• Like 1

I painted (well, nail-polished) a pink v3 I got as a gift (I really don't do pink). I made it random multi-color with holographic top coat, and it looks very cool. When using nail polish, just remember to remove the battery cover, and be very careful no polish gets inside. I did not disassemble the unit completely. Also, do the painting outside if possible, since the fumes can become overpowering. Carol_tama, that looks great!!

• Like 1