flash memory replacement help?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamafan325

Reaction score
hi guys, i have a question :)

so, uh, i might get this GBA game soon which i really want. The game uses flash memory for saving the game. some games use save batteries, but this one uses a flash memory (or flash card, i think it's called as well). Those cards break after like 10 000 saves and when you reach 10 000 saves, you CAN'T save the game anymore, as the flash memory breaks, making it impossible to save the game anymore.

My question is: Is it possible to replace the flash memory (flash card)? Because i know i will like this game a lot, and will continue playing it for YEARS. I know 10 000 saves is a lot, and you can lasts for years with it, but i'm a bit worried. I don't mean to be rude, but please don't say stuff like "you'll be fine, you're good for years of fun". i already know that, but i'm wondering as of what to do when "those years of fun" are over, because the flash memory breaks.

PLEASE HELP!!

thank you in advance :)

Assuming the flash memory chip is in a package that can be replaced (i.e. not a silicon die that's been glued to the pcb then buried in epoxy) and that you can aquire a replacement chip, you'll still lose your save game when you remove the old chip. So, wouldn't it be easier to just purchase two game cartridges? Play one until it stops working, then switch over to playing the other.

Also, I believe 10,000 is the minumum.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking baout buying the game 2 times as well, but it's a rare game which is barely for sale, so :(

50icdc.jpg

This picture may help a bit!

on the left side of the picture, there's chip saying "EEPROM'. That's the flash card. Does this look like a flash card that would be replaceable? Because i don't know much about this kind of stuff :p

Also, if tis is a flash card that is replaceable, where can i buy those flash cards?

Yes, chips in that type of package can be easily replaced.

The mask ROMs contain the program. The data (meaning the game program instructions) in them can't be altered.

The EEPROM contains the save data. The data in it can be overwritten. There are some numbers printed on the chip. One set of numbers will be the part number. Availability will vary by part. It might be cheap and easy to find, or it might be rare. You won't know until you have the part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back