Sign in to follow this  
Carol_tama

New Release: Tamagotchi 4U (Sep. 27th)

Mr.Blinky will add her. The cards are already on eBay, albeit at a steep price. I already have one actually.

I bought a Santa Rolatchi card, and I'm not impressed with it for the price. I doubt I will be looking into the other ones. Sadly though, it is my only way of obtaining additional content since I have no access to the english app Blinky created.

Rolatchi?But I want Candy Pakupaku :(

I really want her too, but we don't have the card or its content yet sadly :(

To get the characters into the english one Mr. Blinky has to dump the content of the Card or Touch Spot on his device, so let's hope he gets the card too from some of the people helping him to get 4U content from Japan :P

In case people didn't see it... Quote from Ra

Since I got out of the loop and just saw this post, I'm gonna ask: since Mstr. Blinky fiddled with the app despite Bandai said they would cut us off if any of us do - has anyone noticed the app being disabled outside Japan yet?

• Like 1

The app is not disabled. It's fine. He didn't fiddle with it despite Bandai telling him not to. He modded the app and then found out afterward that Bandai was upset about it.

So everyone please stop acting like MrBlinky did something that's going to make Bandai punish everyone. He was trying to help us. And everyone here was thrilled about it. As far as Bandai punishing us?... We wouldn't even HAVE the app to begin with if it wasn't for MrBlinky and Takura (who caught heat for the first app).

• Like 1

The app is not disabled. It's fine. He didn't fiddle with it despite Bandai telling him not to. He modded the app and then found out afterward that Bandai was upset about it.

So everyone please stop acting like MrBlinky did something that's going to make Bandai punish everyone. He was trying to help us. And everyone here was thrilled about it. As far as Bandai punishing us?... We wouldn't even HAVE the app to begin with if it wasn't for MrBlinky and Takura (who caught heat for the first app).

As Myiko has said, Mr Blinky is going to continue to work on modifying the app. We're just asking that it be discontinued, and we all use the original version that Bandai have given us permission to use (download here). I'd rather use the Japanese app, and know that we're not going to get banned from using it, than have an English version and risk loosing access altogether.

Thank you everybody for the information, I understand the problem now is with the app's Term of use wich are not on the Tamagotchi units themselves, and I guess if TZ and facebook group don't want the app then we will keep it away from them.

Just to let this be more of a santandalone project, and make it more professional, the app already has its own webpage on Mr.Blinky's site

http://mrblinky.net/tama/4u/app/

(I'll keep updating this thread, so I can answer questions from people and post any updates on the app of course)

This app is modified from Takura's apk file, wich as you said is discarred and not supported anymore because it has been replaced by a newer version in japan, so I don't think it would be a mayor problem to keep with the project.

The point on the english app is mainly to get the 4U content to be available to everyone outside Japan, since without Touch Spots the 4U would be a rather pointless release for us, As you have seen we are trying to get the data from Japan's touch spots for it to be available in the english app, so non-japanese people can enjoy this new release too.

I just hope for you to support the project and understand we have worked and we will keep working hard on it, just so everybody can enjoy the Tamagotchi experience.

All information and download of the app is on the link above, including a list of compatible devices (that should also work for the japanese app)~

That's fine. All I'm saying is no Mr.Blinky bashing. If it wasn't for him, none of us would have english P's, and for that I will always be VERY grateful.

It's fine to suggest that people stick with the original Japanese app, as long as you don't do it in a way that insults the person who put so much time and effort into enhancing our Japanese tamas for us.

(I don't mean "you" personally...just anyone who contributes to this topic)

• Like 1

Btw, I don't know all the details, so I might be wrong, but I don't think Bandai contacted MrBlinky himself and told him not to do it. I spoke with him briefly and he told me Bandai did not threaten him.

I think Bandai (or someone) contacted the admins on TamaZone and warned them that MrBlinky's app (and thread) were against forum rules, so they HAD to remove it, or they'd risk having the entire message board taken down.

Again, I don't know all the details, so I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

• Like 1

Btw, I don't know all the details, so I might be wrong, but I don't think Bandai contacted MrBlinky himself and told him not to do it. I spoke with him briefly and he told me Bandai did not threaten him.

I think Bandai (or someone) contacted the admins on TamaZone and warned them that MrBlinky's app (and thread) were against forum rules, so they HAD to remove it, or they'd risk having the entire message board taken down.

Again, I don't know all the details, so I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

Takura was contacted by Bandai asking him that he shut down his link to the app, or 'legal issues' could occur. He then replied about the demand for the Tamagotchi 4U outside of Japan and they then gave him permission to distribute the app as long as it's not modified in anyway, or the app will be shut down and 'we' the people who live outside of Japan will not have access to it at all.

Mr Blinky has modified the app that we're currently allowed to use. Whilst it's nice to see people go this far for Tamagotchi, it's illegal as it isn't his property to be modifying. I'm not 'insulting' him, I'm just asking that he discontinue his work on the 4U English app, or we'll loose access to the 4U content.

As for Tama-Zone issues, Ra has explained in detail why. You can find the quote by scrolling up to the middle of this page, and SailorRosette has posted it.

• Like 2

Takura was contacted by Bandai asking him that he shut down his link to the app, or 'legal issues' could occur.

Yes I know all that. My point was that someone accused MrBlinky of messing with it after being directly told not to. That's not what happened.

He [Takura] then replied about the demand for the Tamagotchi 4U outside of Japan and they then gave him [Takura] permission to distribute the app as long as it's not modified in anyway, or the app will be shut down
Exactly. Takura was told that, not MrBlinky. And while you may have seen that, it's entirely possible that MrBlinky didn't read all of Takura's posts. I hadn't either. Sometimes I just skim. I don't know if that's the case with him. Just sayin...

I'm not 'insulting' him, I'm just asking that he discontinue his work on the 4U English app, or we'll loose access to the 4U content.
I didn't say you insulted him. Someone else did. But it's also slightly insulting to have people implying that he's endangering something for the rest of us. Even if that's true, two weeks ago everyone was singing his praises for all of his hard work, and now this. He's contributed FAR more than he's endangered.

As for Tama-Zone issues, Ra has explained in detail why. You can find the quote by scrolling up to the middle of this page, and SailorRosette has posted it.
I already knew that part. I even replied to it. (to Ra's original post, not the repost) The "details" I was referring to (that I wasn't sure of) were the details of exactly what or how much MrBlinky was told, and who he talked to.
  • Like 1

The funny part to all of this is that 2 years from now when Bandai is no longer providing content or supporting the app anymore, and it basically becomes useless---which it will---then everyone will be begging Mr.Blinky for the "forbidden" app.

Yes I know all that. My point was that someone accused MrBlinky of messing with it after being directly told not to. That's not what happened.

Exactly. Takura was told that, not MrBlinky. And while you may have seen that, it's entirely possible that MrBlinky didn't read all of Takura's posts. I hadn't either. Sometimes I just skim. I don't know if that's the case with him. Just sayin...

I didn't say you insulted him. Someone else did. But it's also slightly insulting to have people implying that he's endangering something for the rest of us. Even if that's true, two weeks ago everyone was singing his praises for all of his hard work, and now this. He's contributed FAR more than he's endangered.

I already knew that part. I even replied to it. (to Ra's original post, not the repost) The "details" I was referring to (that I wasn't sure of) were the details of exactly what or how much MrBlinky was told, and who he talked to.

Mr Blinky is aware of this. He was contacted by Ra and the Admins of Tama-Zone because of the legal issues. Mr Blinky and Myiko have said that they're going to continue to work on the app, despite being aware of the legal issues, and having knowledge of the issue from the Tama-Zone admins contacting him.

We're simply asking Mr Blinky to discontinue modifying the app, in order for no legal problems to occur, and so that we'll be able to enjoy the app. We're not saying that his contributions haven't been amazing because they have. Mr Blinky being able to create a English Patch for P's is phenomenal and I hope to see his work on that continue. The only thing that I am saying, is that if the app is continued to be modified we will loose access to it. That's what Bandai have told us. It's not a case of us just wanting to 'insult' Mr Blinky or anyone else who's involved in the project, we're just asking if modifying the app can stop.

Edit - At the end of the day, what Mr Blinky is doing is illegal. He is modifying something that isn't his. We have been warned by Bandai what will happen, and were just trying to avoid this.

Edited by jordboss
  • Like 2

I don't disagree with you about the legalities. And I'm not advocating illegal practices either.

But the simple truth is, Mr.Blinky's app wouldn't ruin anything for us, because everything in the official app would be available in the modded app. And Bandai can't block access to that one because the content would be on his server, not Bandai's. So why is everyone afraid to lose access to the official app? I don't get it.

Again, I'm not commenting about the legal or moral issues of it. I'm just curious to know what everyone is afraid of losing.

• Like 1

One thing I will add though (that I keep forgetting to), is that I fully agree that the admins were right to take down the app thread. Because the legal ramifications put the entire message board at risk. I've seen forums be deleted for stuff like that and I would never want to see TZ in danger of that. I love TamaZone.

So even though I'm asking what users are afraid of losing, that doesn't mean I think the admins were in any way wrong for removing the thread. They had no choice. They had to.

But I'm still left wondering what the people in this discussion are worried about losing?

I don't disagree with you about the legalities. And I'm not advocating illegal practices either.

But the simple truth is, Mr.Blinky's app wouldn't ruin anything for us, because everything in the official app would be available in the modded app. And Bandai can't block access to that one because the content would be on his server, not Bandai's. So why is everyone afraid to lose access to the official app? I don't get it.

Again, I'm not commenting about the legal or moral issues of it. I'm just curious to know what everyone is afraid of losing.

Mr Blinky wouldn't have access to any new content if the app is blocked from outside Japan. That's what we're afraid of. We're afraid that even the official app will no longer have any content because it will be blocked. The fact that it's also illegal worrys is because it's illegal.

If it gets blocked, any future releases that Bandai might produce could also potentially be blocked, which means we would have no access to any tamagotchi apps.

Edited by jordboss

Mr Blinky wouldn't have access to any new content if the app is blocked from outside Japan. That's what we're afraid of.
He has friends in Japan. He would have no problem getting the content. It's a big world. There are plenty of people in Japan who'd be willing to share that content. You'll see for yourself 2 years from now, after Bandai has abandoned the app. All that content will be floating around the Tama community.

The fact that it's also illegal worrys is because it's illegal.
There's nothing to fear about someone ELSE hacking an app.

If it gets blocked, any future releases that Bandai might produce could also potentially be blocked, which means we would have no access to any tamagotchi apps.
That's a legitimate concern. But experience has shown that where there's a will there's a way. Techy people would find a way to unblock it. Or acquire it some other way. Just look at what's been already been done with all the Tama content throughout the years.
  • Like 1

He has friends in Japan. He would have no problem getting the content. It's a big world. There are plenty of people in Japan who'd be willing to share that content. You'll see for yourself 2 years from now, after Bandai has abandoned the app. All that content will be floating around the Tama community.

There's nothing to fear about someone ELSE hacking an app.

That's a legitimate concern. But experience has shown that where there's a will there's a way. Techy people would find a way to unblock it. Or acquire it some other way. Just look at what's been already been done with all the Tama content throughout the years.

That's not the point. The point is, someone else breaking the law could effect us all. It's illegal.

Who's to say that this won't make Bandai deside so block the app completely? All because someone wouldn't follow the law? Sure, I doubt it'll get that far, but still. It's the point that it could effect us all.

• Like 1