Few questions

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bixler

Reaction score
Hello,

During my web surfing the other day, for some reason or another I stumbled upon Tamagotchis and was hit by a huge wave of nostalgia. Even though I'm a 20-year old male, I would like to delve into this small hobby.

1. The last Tamagotchi I remember was the first one. Now I see there are quite a few versions. Which would you recommend? Which is the version most people tend to use nowadays?

2. Where would you recommend buying a Tamagotchi? Amazon?

3. How popular are Tamagotchis nowadays? I figure they're probably not the fad they were about 10 years ago when virtual pets/LCD games were far more popular, but I'm curious. Did I miss the boat too drastically to (re)start with Tamagotchis now?

4. Are there any other members here outside of their teens, out of curiosity?

5. Just a general question for interest's sake -- why do you personally love Tamagotchi?

Thank you so much. Have a nice day! :)

1. Most people seem to use color-screen Tamagotchis nowadays. They're Japanese and expensive and a little tricky to understand at first, but reading information online should help. The most popular are the Tamagotchi iD L and P's. Personally, I would recommend one of the Connections because they're not overloaded with confusing features but still really fun. If you'd like one that's very simple but still enjoyable get the V2, and for one that's a lot more interactive get the V4. You can go to school and work on the V4!

2. EBay seems to be the best place to buy Tamagotchis. There are also many for sale on FaceBook groups such as Tamagotchi Traders.

3. Well, Tamagotchi is still super-popular in Japan but lately has died out everywhere else. However, the latest English release called Tamagotchi Friends is releasing in the US in July and it's already been a top seller in the UK! Tamagotchi's popularity is beginning to bloom again ;)

4. Yep, there are plenty of adult Tamagotchi fans and collectors, and many of them are on TamaTalk. Personally, I'm 15 :p

5. Well in the past, a lot of upsetting stuff happened to me, and Tamagotchis were the only things that cheered me up. I still really enjoy playing with them and they're always there for me! :wub: I LOVE the characters; they're so cute and lovable and I can relate to them a lot in the anime series. I adore everything about Tamagotchi and I love it more than anything else :D

1. Most people seem to use color-screen Tamagotchis nowadays. They're Japanese and expensive and a little tricky to understand at first, but reading information online should help. The most popular are the Tamagotchi iD L and P's. Personally, I would recommend one of the Connections because they're not overloaded with confusing features but still really fun. If you'd like one that's very simple but still enjoyable get the V2, and for one that's a lot more interactive get the V4. You can go to school and work on the V4!

2. EBay seems to be the best place to buy Tamagotchis. There are also many for sale on FaceBook groups such as Tamagotchi Traders.

3. Well, Tamagotchi is still super-popular in Japan but lately has died out everywhere else. However, the latest English release called Tamagotchi Friends is releasing in the US in July and it's already been a top seller in the UK! Tamagotchi's popularity is beginning to bloom again ;)

4. Yep, there are plenty of adult Tamagotchi fans and collectors, and many of them are on TamaTalk. Personally, I'm 15 :p

5. Well in the past, a lot of upsetting stuff happened to me, and Tamagotchis were the only things that cheered me up. I still really enjoy playing with them and they're always there for me! :wub: I LOVE the characters; they're so cute and lovable and I can relate to them a lot in the anime series. I adore everything about Tamagotchi and I love it more than anything else :D
3. Should I wait for the English release of Tamagotchi friends to dive in? I'm glad its popularity is starting to rise again!

4. Awesome.

5. I'm glad you like them! It's nice to have a hobby. My main hobby is playing old retro video games.

3. Should I wait for the English release of Tamagotchi friends to dive in? I'm glad its popularity is starting to rise again!
Hmm, well a lot of people on TamaTalk don't like the Tamagotchi Friends but I guess that's because it's simple to the complex Japanese color-screen Tamagotchis.

The Tamagotchi Friends is one of my favorite versions and it has great games and fun to play with. I think it'd probably be great for beginners but keep in mind the screen has a pixelated room in the background which makes it a little hard to see the character on the main screen. Also, it has modern characters; I really like the modern characters but you'd probably prefer a version with classic characters.

The more I research the more I realize I really want to experience every version, so I'll probably just start with the latest release and go from there. I hope I don't become a pariah by choosing Tamagotchi Friends though! :mellow:

Hello,

During my web surfing the other day, for some reason or another I stumbled upon Tamagotchis and was hit by a huge wave of nostalgia. Even though I'm a 20-year old male, I would like to delve into this small hobby.

1. The last Tamagotchi I remember was the first one. Now I see there are quite a few versions. Which would you recommend? Which is the version most people tend to use nowadays?

3. How popular are Tamagotchis nowadays? I figure they're probably not the fad they were about 10 years ago when virtual pets/LCD games were far more popular, but I'm curious. Did I miss the boat too drastically to (re)start with Tamagotchis now?

5. Just a general question for interest's sake -- why do you personally love Tamagotchi?

Thank you so much. Have a nice day! :)
1. I personally love the more modern colour versions, but they're quite different to vintage so it's more about finding your own personal taste rather than which is better.

2. I jump between ebay and Amazon. I know a few people use Japanese and hobby sites but when you're just starting out they can be hard to figure out I think. If you decide on a version it may be best to post a second post on where is best to buy that version.

3. I think they are still very popular, although it seems rare to meet another Tama fan in person there are a lot on the net. But I've heard they're more popular in the USA than the UK so it may just be my location.

4. Right here! :) I'm 22. There's a topic that was started asking about this and its seems like there are quite a lot.

5. I like to have pets but due to my lifestyle etc. I can't have real ones so this is my awesome alternative. I also like to collect them and for the versions with "tamatomos" I enjoy trying to find all the favourite items for each character :)

Have fun!

1. I personally love the more modern colour versions, but they're quite different to vintage so it's more about finding your own personal taste rather than which is better.

2. I jump between ebay and Amazon. I know a few people use Japanese and hobby sites but when you're just starting out they can be hard to figure out I think. If you decide on a version it may be best to post a second post on where is best to buy that version.

3. I think they are still very popular, although it seems rare to meet another Tama fan in person there are a lot on the net. But I've heard they're more popular in the USA than the UK so it may just be my location.

4. Right here! :) I'm 22. There's a topic that was started asking about this and its seems like there are quite a lot.

5. I like to have pets but due to my lifestyle etc. I can't have real ones so this is my awesome alternative. I also like to collect them and for the versions with "tamatomos" I enjoy trying to find all the favourite items for each character :)

Have fun!
1. Hmm, I suppose I will need to do a bit more research to find out which will suit me. I'm inclined to just pick up the latest one that will launch in the U.S. in July (Tamagotchi Friends), but I suppose that has gotten mixed reviews. Do the color ones only come in Japanese? Or can I pick up an English version/set the language to English/use it in the U.S. properly?

2. Aye, I suppose I'll have to think a lot more about which model I will start off with, then further inquire. I'm just glad none of them seem terribly expensive (>$50).

3. Good to hear! I remember plenty of friends had them back in grade school.

4. I just found that huge thread; very cool! Glad I'm not alone.

5. Right on.

One thing I realized is that I have a pretty busy schedule during the day -- which Tamagotchi models either have a pause feature, or do not require incredible amounts of maintenance?

If you're really busy I'd say go with one of the Ps if you don't mind the girly look. The school function is great for during the day. There were English I'd Ls but I think they're hard to get hold of now and can be really expensive, someone is also working on an English patch for the Ps. But I don't think it's really all that hard to pick up the Japanese ones using the guides :) Although they don't all have a pause feature you can pause the clock in set mode on all of them so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Hey, I'm a guy slightly older than you and I recently got my interest back as well! :D

Majority of the folks here in the forums are pretty much updated when it comes to releases; most of us are using the modern colour versions from Japan and some have the latest ones released in Europe called the 'Tamagotchi Friends'.

I usually get mine on eBay - Amazon tends to have very expensive shipping to Canada; which is where I am from. eBay has more deals than Amazon, IMO.

They're not exactly as popular as they were before - it has been reduced to a niche fanbase due to the advent of smartphones, tablets and the likes. You didn't exactly miss the boat; but there's quite a lot of catching up to do.

*raises hand*

Well, I personally love the brand because it's been a part of my childhood and as a tech person, I have a thing for little electronics (particularly from Japan)!

I think I will pick up v3 out of nostalgic reasons, and the latest TF model once it launches in the U.S. to support the continuation of Tamagotchi, even if it seems a bit too girl-focused for my personal tastes.

Cool to see others here with diverse backgrounds!

1. I guess I'm one of those more for the vintages - plus - connection era ones. The newer ones for different reasons just don't appeal as much to me. On a side note; most true vintages actually are older than me, and it was the connections that I grew up with. Still I've actually just recently expanded my vintage part of my collection and gotten ever more into them...

2. Ebay. That's where I've done most good deals, anyway.

3. Well, I'm swedish, and over here all interest is basically dead. The thought came to me that I just might be the greatest tamagotchi fan in my whole country; as little as tamas are heard of by now... There probably is some swedish geek out there with like a hundred pieces or something, but the thought is fun to play with anyway...

4. I'm in my teens, turning 16 this fall.

5. I guess they just fascinate me...

Good luck with your coming tama!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back