Tamagotchi Covers Save Lives! (Tamagotchi lives)

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GotchiGuardian

Reaction score
Okay so you all probably know that I purchased my second ID L at the weekend.

You should know.

You might know.

You... Could know?

Okay you know what. let's start again.

Hey everyone! I purchased my second iD L at the weekend! Used, amazing price, from the UK, and the best part is - IT CAME WITHIN TWO DAYS.

To whoever sold it to me (they're proooobably on TamaTalk) thanks so much for an awesome deal and fast shipping.

Anyway.

More to the point.

When I got my white iD L last year, the first thing I did was crochet a cover for it.

I couldn't do crochet, since the translated garbage books we had lying around the house just didn't make sense and frustrated me.

So I totally made up my own crochet.

I ended up with a knotted mess masterpiece with no gaps or holes anywhere.

It actually looked pretty cool. I did it in fluffy purple yarn (since I always wanted a purple iD L and thought a purple cover was the next best thing) and it fitted quite nicely to my new tamagotchi.

Little did I know that this simple woolen cover would save my tama's life.

So.

I have this simply darling little baby brother who's one year old. He's becoming incredibly naughty and likes to toddle into my room and mess with my stuff. Last week he trundled to me, his cheeks stuffed with sweets, and in his hands a sweet packet which I'm sure I kept out of reach of children. It took me a great deal of chasing him round the house and trying to bribe him with something else before I got my soggy sweets back :(

But anyway.

The other day he decided to mess with my iD Ls.

I had put my purple cover on my purple iD L. It looked quite fetching! I left it on the piano that's next to my bed. Then I shut my bedroom door and went to research something on ye olde laptope.

What I was actually "researching" was inspiration for my new blank canvas I was working on.

I have a tiny room, you see, and it's barely big enough to fit a bed in it. It used to be my house's music room, hence the reason I keep bashing my feet up against the piano every time I get out of bed in the morning.

So I had my paints and canvas on my bed. I had an array of acrylics and a palette of water there too, much to Mom's justified annoyance.

So I looked up from my inspiration to behold my little brother beaming ear to ear, and walking towards me with a "I HAVE YOUR TAMAGOTCHIS, WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT???" look on his face.

Babies and tamas don't match. I can tell you that.

WATER and tamagotchis don't match. I. Can. Tell. You. That.

So I grabbed my iD Ls from his chubby little hands and suddenly realised

that my purple iD L

the one from my dreams

was soaked

with

water.

[SIZE=15.5pt]IMAGINE MY HORROR.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=15.5pt]MY DREAM TAMAGOTCHI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=15.5pt]MY AMAZING PRICE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=15.5pt]MY SUPER FAST SHIPPING[/SIZE]

[SIZE=15.5pt]SOAKING WET[/SIZE]

[SIZE=15.5pt]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH[/SIZE]

I literally did scream. I whipped the cover from my iD L and dared to look at it again.

The cover was completely soaked.

The back of the iD L was completely dry.

My cover

had just

saved

my dream iD Ls

life.

[SIZE=15.5pt]CAN. YOU. BELIEVE. THAT?[/SIZE]

My lack of crocheting skills had just actually come in handy! Just when I had actually learned to crochet properly!

I turned the tamagotchi over in my hand and looked at the screen.

My fruit-itchi salad bowl guy grinned at me reassuringly.

But in front of him

lay

a whole layer of H20.

Water was seeping into the tamagotchi from the one place I hadn't covered. The screen.

This discovery resulted in another scream.

[SIZE=6.5pt]When I say scream.....[/SIZE]

I rushed into our schoolroom and thrust my tamagotchis on the table.

Then I whipped off the back battery cover and tried to take out the batteries. If ever they leaked or got soaked I was in biiiig trouble.

I was racing against the clock now. How long would it take for the water to seep through to the circuit board? I didn't want to think about it.

I look one last look at my fruit guy and pulled the batteries out with one final lever. I'm sure he'd be willing to give up his life and short iD L progress if it meant his future generation were saved.

After that I rushed back online and searched the forums on TamaTalk.

iD Ls. Taking them apart. It had to have been done before.

No results.

In anguish I rephrased my keywords.

Binary.

Thank goodness for binary. WE LOVE YOU BINARY OKAY

He had taken apart an iD L before. Pfft, of course he had! Debugged it too by the looks of it. Whoa.

Through his pictures/reassurance, I carefully unscrewed and prised open my beloved tama.

This is for your own good, I thought as the circuit board began to come into view.

The cement/putty/thingy that holds the wires in place had me scared at one point. I thought it might be vital to the whole thing and one nudge would break my whole system.

I was that paranoid.

Funny, I'd taken apart like millions [SIZE=6.5pt]hyperbole duh [/SIZE]of connection tamagotchis before, but taking apart this one was like taking apart my first. Really scary.

The back was kinda easy to take off. Schwiiing, I was careful not to separate it too much from the circuit board.

After the circuit board came away, whew, I can still hear my sigh of relief. In my paranoid brain I was expecting some complicated colour screen thing, but no, just the familiar black screen came into view.

And then... The front!

And the water. Eek!

The time I had spent Tamatalking was precious. The water looked as if it'd kinda soaked the actual screen. But I pushed aside my panic and ran to get some cotton wool.

The cotton wool... Failed.

In my paranoid panic I had forgotten the first rule about cleaning electronics: neverrr use... Um what's the word... Things... Like tissue.... That shed... Things... Fibres... Yep, never use them.

So as I started working away at this damp screen, I noticed that some cotton fibres were sticking to the screen.

And I had a little panic because like

THE WATER HAD GONE

ONLY TO BE REPLACED BY LINT

Omigosh that’s the word! Lint. Lint. Is it? Tissue and cottonwool contain lint? I don’t know. Anyway.

I had on a lint-free shirt at the time, so after desperately scraping cotton off the sticky edge of the screen with my screwdriver, I used my shirt to dust off the lint.

Then, I balanced the buttons on the shell and squeezed the tamagotchi circuit board to the shell.

Had I fixed it? Was my tama water-damaged forever? Only time would give the answers I searched for, so I resolved to waste as little as possible.

Putting the tamagotchi back together proved rather difficult.

It got stuck. I screwed back the circuit board and found that the sound/battery wires bulged out of the sides when I tried to press the back together.

Crisis! Should I shove the wires back in, or… Wait?

Yeah, like I’m going to wait 6 hours till my technical Dad comes home when my tamagotchi’s destiny is on the line. Pfft.

As carefully as I could I placed the wired back into the shell. The plastic still wouldn’t come together all that flatly, but after some screwing (and trial and error) I had my tamagotchi reassembled and ready for testing.

With trembling hands (mm I may be exaggerating just a tiny bit) I put the batteries back into their compartments.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

THE SOUND WAS ON! That was a start! I hadn’t damaged the wires by shoving laying them down in the shell! Good sign!

Slowly I rotated the tamagotchi, where the screen had sprung back to life and the two “Download/Reset” buttons appeared.

I selected “download”.......

And who should appear but the smiling face of Mr Fruitysaladchi!

I couldn’t believe it

And I still can’t describe the utter relief I felt.

Can you imagine if I hadn’t have “crocheted” that cover for my white iD L? The water would have gone straight into the battery compartment, probably straight into the circuit board, and cleaning the screen with a scrappy lint cotton wool ball certainly wouldn’t cure it of its ailment.

I just.

Yeah.

What a trauma.

I hope you actually enjoyed reading this little anecdote of my life, and that you come to know that

Tamagotchi Covers Save Lives! Make them, sell them, buy them - just do whatever it takes to protect your tamagotchis!

Oh yes, and make sure you keep out of reach of children and pets and... People.

Yeah.

(I actually deserve some sort of medal. Like, I think I'm gonna be putting on my signature something like “I TOOK APART AN ID L, I CAN TAKE APART ANYTHING!”. I mean honestly, if you’re one of those people who question everything, don’t be… Offended. I’m not exactly going to take apart a Macbook Air Pro or whatever the latest gadget is these days, but the iD L is close enough for me).

Enfin.

Haha thanks guys! I'm just so relieved I got the water out... I heard a few iD L horror stories about how tamagotchis got ruined by certain accidents and I'm just so lucky to have gotten out of this little mess!

I'm so glad your tama is okay! It definitely makes me want to look into getting some kind of protection for my tamas. It's too much to leave up to chance.

Haha thanks so much, guys XD I'm thinking of crocheting/sewing covers for all of my tamagotchis just to be on the safe side.... May take time and some practice, but ultimately it's worth it at the end of the day. right?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back